"Bracket-less" no more

MCfan

It's been over a year since I bought a nicely restored Load Level Compressor to replace the original one that was missing from my '70 SS when I bought it. Unfortunately, it did not come with mounting brackets which are scarce and outrageously expensive if a set can be found.

Since the last local car show of the season is this Saturday, I wanted to get the compressor at least mounted, if not operating, so I decided to fabricate a set of "temporary" brackets in my shop using common materials and hand tools.

The fabrication turned out to be easy once the design work was done. Since I had no pattern or engineering drawings, the design work had to be done from a couple of photographs provided by other members. I spent a total of two days time over three days - one day to design and one day to fabricate, finish and install the brackets.

These were not intended to replicate the factory originals, but rather, to be functionally equivalent, simple to build with common materials and not horrible to look at. Well, they may not be so pretty, but they work great, were simple to build and did not cost a red cent (because I already had the tools, material, fasteners and paint).

I made these out of a one foot piece of 2" X 2" X 1/8" aluminum angle (which is plenty strong) but they could just as easily be made using angle iron. If anyone else is needing brackets and wants to make a temporary set similar to these, I am documenting the project in a photo journal that will be available soon.

Here's the rear bracket:

P9273750.jpg

Rear bracket attached to the compressor:

P9273772.jpg

Front bracket:

P9273751.jpg

Front bracket attached to the pressure tank:

P9273773.jpg

Compressor mounted in the car:

P9273806.jpg

Do they line up with the factory holes in the inner fender?

Bill, I designed them to match the factory hole patterns and mounting positions but I cannot confirm that they actually do simply because my SS has replacement steel inner fenders and the holes were not present. Fortunately, there was a locating dimple in the steel fender for the right rear bracket mounting hole and I am confident that the rear bracket will bolt up perfectly.

The front bracket was also designed to match factory holes and can be easily tweaked to fit by altering the angle of the bend of the forward-facing leg and the location of the hole on the surface of that foot.

All of the above is predicated on the factual accuracy of the dimensions given in the 1970 GM Assembly manual as shown below. If the GM assembly techs actually installed these using this drawing, I will bet there aren't two exactly alike on the planet! But, with an indexing location (dimple or whatever) and the brackets mounted on the compressor, you can easily position it in a workable position on that fender.

If your car already has the holes, it would be a snap to make these simple brackets fit them and work fine, IMO.

P9253696.jpg

Nice work..necessity is the mother of invention. Now you can boast about making them at any meet. They look fabulous.. probably more precisely made than any of the production one's. wink The only thing I can gig is not breaking all the edges. lol

Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback, guys!

I'm taking the Monte to a local car show today so I'll see if anyone notices the compressor or critiques the brackets. grin

My Monte has been the only first gen at shows in this area (N central MN) this summer so she gets lots of attention and causes lots of reminiscing. I've learned of two other first gens around here, but neither are shown.

• 1 month later...