What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Thanks I'll keep going with 400 as I'm doing the 1/4 panels now.To post pics you have to use a photobucket or something like that

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished putting all the pretty polished stainless and new side moldings on my 72. It should be coming home tomorrow weather permitting.

First ride of the year with my wife. Everything is great!

Bruce

Drove it for the first time yesterday in exactly 12 weeks since it went into the restoration shop. The guys were really impressed with the sound of the exhaust. It looked absolutely magnification sitting out in the bright sun. Picture were taken by them and they have not gotten my copies to me yet.

Installed the power door locks and truck release we got for Tom. Doors worked great right away. We had to play with the trunk release and found that the wired going into the relay was not seated correctly. Seated that wire and now everything is hunky dory.

Jumped in it today to take it out for the first time this year and the battery was dead...put the charger on it then went back into the house and ate lunch. Half hour later I was on the road cruising with no particular destination in mind... cool

Took it to work with me today (I work a couple hours on Sunday) and also took it out on the open road as well as in the city. Then me and my girl went out for a cruise and ice cream this evening. We were in the parking lot getting ready to leave and a corvrtte pulled in and backed in next to me, the guy gets out and walks over and says wow thats a nice car and was checking it out. That has never happened before most vette guys dont even look at other cars, I said thank you and drove away with a big smile.

Pulled out the 10 bolt this weekend and stated to clean up the trailing arms for some paint and new bushings.

Pulled out the 10 bolt this weekend and stated to clean up the trailing arms for some paint and new bushings.

Dusted it off and went to a Cruise in on Saturday night. Met up with Steve, Scott, Bill, and Dom who all had their cars. Dan will have his Monte soon, finishing reconstruction. Nice turnout there. Took a nice ride early Sunday morning to Captree to meet Steve, Al, Dan, and see Greg's sleeper "Monster Monte". Still cold out, but a good turnout. We are all waiting for the weather to finally warm up here.

Dusted it off and went to a Cruise in on Saturday night. Met up with Steve, Scott, Bill, and Dom who all had their cars. Dan will have his Monte soon, finishing reconstruction. Nice turnout there. Took a nice ride early Sunday morning to Captree to meet Steve, Al, Dan, and see Greg's sleeper "Monster Monte". Still cold out, but a good turnout. We are all waiting for the weather to finally warm up here.

Painted my steel fender liners today. Test fitted them prior to painting my car, they fit surprisingly well. Drivers side went right in without any problems or modification. Passenger side needed about 3 holes hogged out a bit, very minor, quick fix. Sherman brand $99 each, bought these under recomendation from Big Tank Jones - Tony J, said they fit great in his car, fit great in mine too. Thanks for the tip Tony!

IMG_20130507_223555_zps4edad6c6.jpg

IMG_20130507_223611_zps8e6e7ebe.jpg

Finally got to take the Monte for it's maiden voyage had to get a motor vehicle inspection to get it plated but it ran great and no problems. So now its plated I can drive it whenever but still have a few things to do (radio, package tray and hood insulation pad). Waxed it up to get rid of some of the fading on the original paint but it looks good for 42 yr old paint the dings and dents gives it character.

Leo

Took it to the Culver's weekly cruise in. Skeeter Bob gave his approval to the redo so all is good in the world. He will sign his approval in the trunk next week. It really feels good to be able to drive it at any time. We came home a little earlier than usual do to some forbidding black looking clouds. We can't have the new paint job getting wet yet.

Ordered all new glass today. Installed my fender liners and got her safely back home. Primer dust everywhere, definetly will have on heck of a job detailing everything! Underhood is a mess frown

IMG_20130508_184705_zps59926c7e.jpg

IMG_20130508_205341_zps9b42350f.jpg

IMG_20130508_205404_zps39f69bf6.jpg

IMG_20130508_205414_zps6a60f2b6.jpg

IMG_20130508_205430_zpsd1872501.jpg

Started the cleanup from the mess under the hood from the body shop. YUCK what a dusty mess. Anyone have any good ideas on how to make it go quickly. I hate cleaning after this big mess. I have not washed my 72 in the 19 months I have owned it as I usually keep it clean on a weekly if not more often basis. I had thought about taking one of those garden sprayers and mixing a mild cleaning solution and spraying down the inner fenders, fire wall and frame sections. Do not want to get any chemicals of any sort on the fresh paint although it probably wouldn't hurt it but still do not have much of a desire to do that.

Started wet sanding last night, lots of fun!! crazy Trying to get my whole car buffed out this weekend, if possible, big job for sure. Makes me wish I was putting a vinyl top on it now smile , dont realize how big the roof is until you sand it several times frown Heres what the roof looks like after sanding with 1000 grit followed by 1500 then finished with 3000 grit Trizact, ready to polish. Going to sand entire car first, then polish everything.

IMG_20130510_004446_zps059d1564.jpg

IMG_20130510_004501_zps1c57a1f5.jpg

IMG_20130510_004538_zpsb2dde6fc.jpg

IMG_20130510_004552_zpsdbc54851.jpg

Just getting started on hood & tops of fenders here.

IMG_20130510_004518_zps9d1916a3.jpg

IMG_20130510_004529_zpsfc8bc921.jpg

Have fun with that Cory! That's a workout, still remember it like it was yesterday!

Larry, I just used some car wash soap in a bucket with a wash mitt, like I was doing the car, fairly easy to access most areas under there! A good stream of water in harder to reach areas made quick work of mine after it was covered in body dust