What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got mine out of the garage.took it for a shake down cruise to work and then good 50 mile run.all good. popped the hood ,accelerator pump leaking a bit,gonna have to get a rebuild kit.Now,do I fix the 750 vac.secondary holley on it or do my 670 avenger vac.secondary holley rebuild? the 750's been on it since I built it back in 1992? Man, that was a while ago.Would the 670 be chrisper on the throttle? still makes good power with the 750 though.

Trying to get my whole car buffed out this weekend, if possible, big job for sure.

OK, that didnt go as planned. Keep forgetting about how big these cars are & also forgot about mothers day obligations, whoops. So just got done wet sanding tonight, approximately 25 hours of sanding. What originally started out as a de-nib & polish turned into a full blown knock it down to glass. Just couldn't leave good enough alone, no sense taking the easy route crazy Started blocking with 800, then 1200 and or 1500, then 2000, & followed up with 3000 trizact. Buffs like butter after all these steps. Polishing should take half the time hopefully. Heres what it looks like finished sanded with 3000.

IMG_20130513_220609_zpsdc55fd47.jpg

IMG_20130513_220546_zps96b43674.jpg

IMG_20130512_234816_zps4c2597df.jpg

IMG_20130512_234753_zpsd47cb4ba.jpg

Finished detailing under the hood and what a job that was. Biggest mess on this car I have ever had. I do not envy you Cory having to do yours. I will more than likely find some thing to clean up all summer but it is worth it. My 72 looks even better than it did when it left the lot in Andersen CA May 30, 1972.

Ya, I hear you Larry, not looking forward to detailing under the hood & everywhere else too. Not enough time in the world for that for me right now. Maybe I will just leave my hood closed whistlewinklol

Drove the 72 to work today and got several great comments at stop lights. Then this afternoon but the rest of the interior back in. Now all that needs to be done for the Sat. car show is clean the winders and sweep the carpets Oh and also go over the exterior again.

After a gazillion hours wet sanding, I started buffing out my hood tonight & Im not sure where I went wrong. Done this a million times but never had this kind of issue. As I buffed the color seemed to change & I totally lost the gloss, strangest thing I have ever experienced. Also the lines of the hood seemed a bit distorted & really didnt look the same. Maybe the wrong compound? Maybe I used the wrong hardner or something, not sure what the heck is going on. confused Heres a pic

IMG_20130514_140320_zps881a82b9.jpg

Just kidding, hahahaha. rofl Buffs like butter, and gleems like a B^*%&, cant wait for my first stone chip.

IMG_20130514_222208_zps88c35fdd.jpg

IMG_20130514_222226_zps8834b05b.jpg

Retooled the trunk. Put the carpeting back in, spare tire with new bottle jack, tire iron to remove center cap and wheel if needed and packed foam packing around the jack where it sticks up thru the wheel so it doesn't rattle. Pretty slick set up even if I have to say so mypwnself. Oops fergot the socket set, fire ext. and emergency light.

Yesterday I removed a shim between the starter and the block to bring the starter closer to the flexplate and sit it on the ground. Today I broke out the dash away cleaner from Surf City and cleaned the door panels, dash pad, the ceiling even used it on some of the vinyl top. Gave the car a good dusting then tried out one of the detail waxes I have from Surf City and it looked good. Hopefully one day I'll get it out of the garage and everything off the top for a good wash in some bubble gum scent car wash.

This weekend I installed the Pypes 2.5" stainless X-pipe system with their Violator mufflers. The fit was great and sounds very good. I would compare the sound of my car with a 2000 Corvette now if that makes any sense.

man, I'm gonna get some new sunglasses just to look at it!! Just too much! can't wait to see it in Carlisle! Nice patina on the truck though.That had me going.

Well the Monte got a wake up call this evening tomorrow it will come out of the garage for a wash. We also fired up the Nomad still got to finish the back window but it's close to be ready for the cruising season.