What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice color/colour but I wonder if Larry will like it.

Rob

Trying to get his post count up he is, vacation will keep them down lol

Hey Murph,

I had it painted at a shop right next door to the old Earl Scheib shop (No affiliation, I swear) at 43rd Ave and Indian School.

The guys name is Ali and he is super cool, he encourages you to visit the shop as much you want to see the progress on your car.

He and his guys did, IMHO, an outstanding job. They fixed my warped tail panel like brand new.

His number is 6024008869, a little hard to talk to on the phone

I live in west Phoenix, just south of the cards stadium, BTW

My son just informed me today he saw another '71 around 43rd and Bethany with my same color scheme shocked

Not quite today, but got the engine in Friday night (3 am sucks!), got it timed and running Saturday, and hopefully I can get a hold of a dual electric fan setup today...

On the good news side of things, I figured out part of the reason the last motor overheated and melted down. Now to prevent it from happening to the new(ish) one...

Well I finally got my engine out and on the stand today. Everything went swimmingly and as soon as I get the oil drained out I can flip it over and begin surgery. While it is out I can put the new booster/MC in, replace both upper ball joints and pull the steering column. Figured I would do everything while the engine was out to give me more room. Found out Friday the hinges are completed and should be here by Tuesday. As the snowball rolls along I am getting more and more excited and confident Blue Thunder will be ready in time for the Turkey Rod Run. Hate to jinx myself but I have yet to hit a snag.

Somewhat Monte related. I replaced front and rear brakes and rotors on my truck over the weekend. How is that Monte related you ask. Well I'll be trailering my Monte to the Meet with it! lol

But also got some Monte time. Pulled the rear bumper in preparation for installing the one I bought at Carlisle last year at the Meet. Got the backside painted tonight. I'll have Bre's boyfriend give me a hand tomorrow evening to install it. And got the timing set on it. Wanted to shoot down the road tonight but we've had some bad storms come through and the roads are wet. I can wait.

Found some paperwork from the purchase of mine by the guy i bought it from, and drove it into work as a bit of a shakedown cruise. Seems like the air is out of the cooling system, but i need to put a bigger shim in for the starter... at least its a tall car, right?

Woke up with a flat tire, so this afternoon after work I found a good place for a floor jack and block of wood. Decided against using the bumper jack. Took the tire off and made it 2 minutes before the Tire place closed to get a new valve stem in.

Looks like the tires are 2004 and the tire in question is still good so hopefully the rest are good too. Glad they made it the 800 miles.

Got my hood hinges back from Wilson Antique Auto Parts. I did the new springs and gloss powder coat finish option. They look amazing!!!

Well not exactly today but over the last week I ordered some wheels and tires, had the 12 bolt rebuilt with 3.55s and a posi, picked up a quick ratio steering box,replaced the headlight switch and ordered a lockset and some miscellaneous parts.

Do the springs and hinges look like chrome? I have seen some that were really nice.

Sorry I wasn't more specific... they are gloss black powder coat and in my opinion, beautiful. Those guys at Wilson Antique Auto Parts take great pride in their work and it shows. I cant wait to install them but I am a long way from finishing all the stuff I need to do before the hood goes back on.

Removed the oil pan and found metal. Looks to be bearing material. That is, believe it or not, a good sign and exactly what I expected. Still snag-free.

Got my entry form for the Turkey Rod Run in the mail yesterday and that got me motivated. I plan to submit my entry form and fee ASAP as additional incentive to keep the press on and have it together and spit-shined for the event.

Took my wife and granddaughter into town for DQ on a test drive tonight after I finally finished rebuilding the front suspension of my '70 SS today.

I'm trying to keep this car basically stock so I didn't add any performance parts. I did try to use only replacement parts made in the USA ... Moog springs, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler arm; Timken wheel bearings; KYB Shocks, Monroe disk pads, etc.

Several of the original bushings were completely shot and, of course, it all looked like a 44 year old dog's breakfast. The rebuild has sure made a difference in handling, ride and appearance. Here's a couple of shots to prove it actually happened. smile

Before rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild008_zps1bdeb95f.jpg

44 Year old control arm bushing

70SSFrontEndRebuild054_zpsae21add2.jpg

After rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild246_zpsffa6b7a4.jpg

Spent the past couple of days polishing the chrome. A lot of it working on the grill. Every year that grill looks better but don't know if I will ever get all the oxidization out of the chrome accents.

I purchased a new driven gear (38 tooth) and housing I hope to have installed before the WM.

Also planning on buffing the paint this year. Will be the 1st time I have done this with a buffer. Before I used a quick polish by hand.

My MP3 player crapped out and replaced it. Set it up so during those low radio signal areas can listen to my tunes through the radio. Also purchased a GPS that I have been playing with to gain familiarity. So far, everything seems to be coming together.

All of this while painting my parents house, shed and fence.

It just never ends! cry

Doug