So after the cake was cut....

CKZ03

and the one man wet sanding & polishing party was over I am left with a empty shiny carcass of a Monte. Time to put some guts in her. Keep in mind that I am doing this entire build almost entirely myself with very little outside help or labor, well except for all you here at the FGMCC. Without everyone heres support, encouragement & knowledge I might not be at this point yet, thank you all. Maybe I should have put this in the Modifiers section as this resto isnt exactly returning it to its original state wink. Built for me, by me, the way I want it to be smile. A continuation of this thread, pun intended with subject title smile

http://fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=406636#Post406636

I figured I might as well start my own thread on the rest of this build so you can all watch me fail miserably cry or succeed in finishing this car prior to Carlisle yay, only 35 long days to go. Im actually about a month behind on where I wanted myself to be at this time, falling a little short of my own goals, but hey thats life. I should have got back on this sooner instead of goofing off half the winter. Had it set in my mind that "Im pretty close to having this done, shouldnt take that long to finish it up". Myself & car will both be at Carlisle completed or not, figured I would just put a "under construction" or "in progress" sign in front of it if its not done. Really planned on driving there but may have to trailer it now due to not enough time to put some miles on her & work out any issues, and besides I have to make it because I love pizza, cant miss out on that Thurs night. lol

So anyway I finished polishing tonight & plan on moving straight into the interior. I started dragging some of the junk out that needs to go back into the car. Current plan is to get what needs to go into the rear of the car in first in preparation for the headliner install. Going to be working on the rear package tray area and getting power window regulators & glass into the quarters first, seems logical to me.

heres some old junk, almost cant remember where this stuff goes or what it is confused

IMG_20130516_230504_zps208a2abd.jpg

partially being replaced with modern technology/major upgrade

IMG_20130516_230739_zps18dd823a.jpg

All new glass is suppost to be delivered tomorrow & Im digging into this project tomorrow evening.

Heres how she looks now after about 25 hours of wet sanding & 15 - 20 hours of polishing

IMG_20130516_224452_zpse7b2c8b6.jpg

IMG_20130516_224555_zps0abc8ebd.jpg

IMG_20130516_224613_zpsa86cd715.jpg

IMG_20130516_224633_zpscbfe1ed9.jpg

IMG_20130516_224647_zpsd541c983.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The longer the paint has time to cure over time the more the color will come out. My car looks better today than the day after it was wet sanded/cut and buffed out.

I planned on dropping glass down in, then putting the belt moldings on. I know there is a sequence of events that need to happen in the correct order so I dont fight with everything, just cant remember the order lol thanks for the warning Sam!

Got most of my glass today, apparently the back glass is on backorder & will take another week or two to get. The sides & backglass are this smoke or gray (they call it either or) & the windsheild is a standard tinted one. The law will not allow for the smoke/gray tint to be used on a windsheild. Its a lot darker than I thought it would be, but I really like it. Only question now is will the LAW give me a hassle, Michigan doesnt like & has laws against tinted side glass on front doors.

Heres a few pics of quarter glass side by side with the original "green tint", appears to be much darker.

IMG_20130517_185617_zps66679a03.jpg

IMG_20130517_185638_zpsfb133fd2.jpg

IMG_20130517_190800_zps349d3666.jpg

Got both the quarter glass in, really liking the color of the glass now. Also installed new power window regulators. I purchased these from a company called Nu Relics, comes with a lifetime warranty. They said its a direct bolt in kit, mounts in existing holes from manual regulators, so far everything lines up perfectly but I still have to do the doors yet. Will let you guys now what I think about their product once everything is installed & functioning properly. But so far with the quarter glass everything went in perfectly, no drilling or complications, and they go up & down great. Its strange, almost every new part I have put on this car says Chevelle on it. Buy the way, all the seals, inner & outer, and even belt moldings can be installed after the glass as long as you leave the window stops out so the window goes down much further than it should. I will have to come back & potentially adjust the quarter glass fit once the door glass is in. You just dont know till you get most everything together.

IMG_20130519_025123_zps16ceb1ae.jpg

IMG_20130519_025206_zpsee7ce2a4.jpg

IMG_20130519_025320_zpsd87a37a3.jpg

IMG_20130519_025439_zps474b1949.jpg

IMG_20130519_025526_zpsfdb960ce.jpg

I have cleaned up & reconditioned any parts along the way that havent been replaced. Even all bolts have either been replaced or acid dipped & replated. Heres an example of what I just wont put back on the car. If it has rust or signs of wear its getting fixed. It all takes time, maybe Im crazy, but I just cant put anything rusty or crappy looking back on this car. Doesnt matter if anyone can see it or not, I would know its there crazy

IMG_20130518_220532_zps98ebe29e.jpg

IMG_20130518_220556_zps85cbb8ef.jpg

Love the tinted look Cory! Also,good call on cleaning everything up, any short cuts you take now will bug you forever! I have things that haunt me with my car, even though its not a problem, like you said, you know it's there

The windows look real nice! You definitely got my interest on the power windows. I have an original set I was going to put in mine but keep looking at the modern power windows instead.

Cory, that baby is BANGIN. That beauty completely POPS. Can't wait to see it completed at Carlisle. Keep up the excellent work. - Dave

Looking great Cory. You are doing it right for sure.

Regarding the tint, you have power windows so if the cops pull you over you can have all the side windows powered down by the time they reach your rear bumper....."what windows officer?" LOL

Looking awesome...question on the glass...is it actually smoked glass, or the window tint film? If it is smoked glass, where did you get it?

The color is in the glass, no film. Got the glass from auto city classics http://www.autocityclassic.com/ $599 for every piece of glass in entire car. Spoke with a guy named Denny, great guy, took about a week to get it out to me. Cant give it an accurate review as Im still installing everything, will let everyone how I liked it once its all in, fit, finish, alignment etc. So far im pretty happy with it.

Wish I would have seen the link to guy sooner, he sells power window switches for 100 bucks for the entire set! Auselys sells they driver master switch for about 60 bucks!

So not many pics to show any progress the last few days, been mostly prepping, sorting things out & getting ready to install more stuff.

Wasnt sure what to do on the package shelf area, I figured I should put some kind of padding below the chinsy carboard finish panel in an effort to prevent rattling & stuff. I went to the local fabric store & bought some heavy black felt, cut it to fit & made a cushion of some sort for $7. I cut out 4 layers of felt identical all at once, but I think Im only going to layer it 2 or 3 layers thick, have to do some fitting to see what I like best. I didnt like the fact that if someone stuck their head way up inside the trunk you would see the backside of the package tray finish panel which cosmetically looks horrible, raw cardboard looking finish. Now you will just see black felt through all the extra holes there. My car was originally equipped with rear defrost but I decided I wasnt going to put it back in at this time or maybe never. I just dont like the look of the "house register" duct it blows air out of & also didnt want to cut a hole for the ridiculously large switch that goes in the dash, its a new dash, plus I dont think I would ever use it anyway. I did run wires though (cars been completely rewired) in case I change my mind. I wanted to keep the interior mostly stock & decided to go with somewhat of a period correct speaker grille. Got these from motor city muscle car (their ebay store) aka inline tube. Very nice quality, good price I thought too. They come raw steel & must be painted of course more SATIN black devil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190811599531

On a side note here, If anyone is going to do this sort of speaker grille make sure you buy a speaker that has a flush mount. I bought a 3 way speaker, not thinking at all, & the midrange and tweater stuck up about a 1/2 inch above the mounting ring so I had to buy a spacer to lower the whole speaker down so I could use these grilles, duuuuuhhhh.

IMG_20130521_184543_zps80ab6a86.jpg

Above is what 3 layers of felt looked like.

IMG_20130521_185320_zps3461712d.jpg

Here I go doing stupid stuff most people probably never would, especially with 30 days to go shock Yep, cleaning up stuff no one will ever see. Ground down a bunch of rusty headliner brackets to paint tomorrow, have to take them into work to do them as I cant currently pull my car out of the barn because there is a boat in my way. Dont want any over spray on my car at this point either. Of course I sifted through this junk to pick out the better/less rusty pieces. wink Headliner is going in this weekend & Im moving on to installing power window regulators in the doors as well as the new door glass the next few days.

IMG_20130521_192024_zps5240f763.jpg

IMG_20130521_192035_zpsf56a83e0.jpg

IMG_20130521_235421_zpscfb617d5.jpg

What are you doing for the seals that the quarter window goes to on the sail panel and the inside don't see it in pics.Thanks I have that problem soon

What are you doing for the seals that the quarter window goes to on the sail panel and the inside don't see it in pics.Thanks I have that problem soon

I havent gotten around to installing those just yet, soon though. I had a lot of fun (more like mission impossible) trying to find those. The seals that were in my car literally desinagrated upon removal, like the second I touched them they turned to dust, poof. I wound up stripping a few cars down for parts and also bought two other Montes while in process with this one. So out of several other parts cars I came up with a few good sets of these seals. Im pretty lucky to have them & they are in great shape, I sold off a few other sets that were still quite nice as well. Here is another part that desperately needs to be reproduced, what am I going to do in a few years when these 40+ year old seals finally crumble?

IMG_20130522_202525_zps181120bc.jpg

Installed my rear harness tonight which I built up a few months ago using American Auto Wires complete Monte upgrade wiring kit, this is just the rear harness, I did the entire car. With this harness I altered from the factory routing & did my own custom run, tucked everything up inside the drivers quarter cavity so essentially no wires are seen routed in the trunk area. Pretty happy with the results, dont have pics of that yet though, coming soon. Had to temporarily remove this harness to finish up some paint work in my trunk area & other stuff.

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/complete-wiring-kit-1970-72-monte-carlo

Also tied in the Klassic Keyless systems tonight, didnt quite finish everything up though, maybe tomorrow.

IMG_20130522_201947_zpse9637298.jpg

So Im kinda sorting through stuff, prepping things & setting up for the headliner install right now. Heres some of the headliner brackets/retainers & bows all cleaned up & re-painted.

IMG_20130522_145436_zpsc4013e68.jpg

IMG_20130522_145446_zps42f1e11c.jpg

The weatherstrip om the right I bought a set fro SS396 for a Chevelle but the Chevelle has 2 clips and the MC has 3 but the outer ones are the real problem.Yes someone needs to repop but they say not enough demand

Do they fit the same as Monte? Sounds like they worked for you. That will help alot of guys here out Im sure, now all we need is the other ones frown.

Finished up all the wiring in the rear of the car, a few pics to show how I routed my rear harness. I know car is really dusty still everywhere, worry about that mess later.

IMG_20130523_221757_zps074bf57e.jpg

IMG_20130523_221809_zps47b9cbba.jpg

IMG_20130523_221836_zpsfedc2749.jpg

IMG_20130523_222243_zps538396f5.jpg

IMG_20130523_222322_zps1cc3d659.jpg

IMG_20130523_222119_zpsa4f64445.jpg

IMG_20130523_222136_zps11268706.jpg

Rear speakers mounted up too

IMG_20130523_185745_zps42d6b058.jpg

IMG_20130523_185758_zps0571330a.jpg

IMG_20130523_190625_zps13a5ef5b.jpg