71 MC. Just purchased. Have Questions.

Admired my neighbors car for past year. It never moved. Talked to her for the first time yesterday and she offered to sell me the car. Her husband past a year ago. She sold it to me for 1600.00. She says it has a 400 in it. The shifter has been removed from the column now theres a shifter on the floor with PNRD21. Told her no problem as long as it fires up. We put a battery in it and it fired up on second try. Sounded like a drag car idling (in a good way) for about 20sec then died out. I also noticed it spewing gas out of the top back pipe on the carb making a mess. I just dont know much about it. I can say i LoVe the curves and even in the condition it is I feel it was a good deal. If someone can tell me more about it i can provide additional pic. Thx. Will

20210123_180459.jpg

IMG_20210123_183142_888.jpg

20210124_091241.jpg

Welcome I just saw the pictures and the engine is a big block . You can check the pad behind the alternator on the block for the engine numbers and code to see if it is the original engine. If she said it's a 400 it may be a 402 and may be original to the car either way it looks like you got a good deal .paint code is 24=Ascot blue outside 728= blue bench seat interior. The fuel problem is probably a stuck float in the carb. Good luck

• Like 1

:W its definitely a big block, looks like a 10 bolt rear end. Can't see bottom of trans so hard to tell what that is. It has a 70 bumper and as said a Holley carb. Who knows what has been done to it but I'd say you got a pretty good deal on it so well worth digging in to find out more of what's going on.  Good luck with it there is lots of good people here with lots of knowledge to help you.

Hey William, welcome and congratulations on your new purchase. Yea looks like some engine area mods lol, headers manifold carb and so on. My first concern would be leaking fuel, never a good thing and potential fire issue. I'll assume the cars been sitting awhile so it might be a good idea to spend a couple of bucks and get a rebuild kit for the carb. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts

Wow. Thanks for all the info guys! I had a suspicion it was kinda a Frankenstein. Like ive read the headlights should be square on a 71 so that was a little confusing. Also the seats are bucket seats. Im at work today until around 4 so I may be a little slow replying to you guys. I will look for blk numbers when i get home today. Im also going to post some random pics of it to maybe help identifying everything. Thank you soooo much. Will.

20210124_091110.jpg

20210124_090844.jpg

20210124_091241.jpg

20210123_180423.jpg

20210124_090713.jpg

Welcome William, great score for that price. As others have said, you've come to the right place for help, answers, and suggestions. Great group of people here, more than willing to help.

Once you get her up and running, see if it gets warm, noticed there's no fan shroud and looks like a mechanical fan. Unless it has electric fans not in a picture, that may be a little bit of a concern, but see how it runs.

Good luck and welcome!

Joe T.

I would definitely get rid of that plastic fuel filter too, I personally don't like them at all as I had a car fire back in the day that the fuel filter melted and made even more of a mess especially since the battery blew and shorted out wiring and motor was turning over feeding the fire. That was a 65 Plymouth.  But yes your going to have to do some research to find out everything you have there but still a great buy. I would have jumped on that in a second for sure even though I dont need another one but wouldn't pass that up.

Welcome aboard, we hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member.  I think you got a good deal.. it looks like he was building the car to make it what HE wanted and now you have the opportunity to do the same.

If that electric fan is sufficient to keep it cool, I would get rid of water pump fan before someone gets hurt.

rob

You guys have been great. Totally worth 35 bucks to have a army of car specific mechanics helping me out. Ive worked on several cars in the past 69Dart. 73 impala. 79 ford. Just never had what i would consider a massive motor all souped up dropped in my lap. Whole new ball park. Heres a pic of the shifter and im also pointing at where the gas pukes out all over the carb while its idling. When you give it gas it lessons but still leaks. When I finally get home today i plan on gettin set up as a member. The major thing that worries me is the car was dropped in her yard by a semi car hauler. She claims it shifted no problem before it was hauled but it drug frame coming off the trailer now the shifter is lifeless. Im hoping, fingers crossed its just the linkage. Id hope the lil ol lady wouldnt lie. It has emissions in the windshield from 2020. She also said it use to be light blue. Bought it last night. Havent had time to really inspect it. Thx. Will.

20210123_172510.jpg

20210124_090423.jpg

Hey William, Welcome to the club!!!!!   She is a great buy for what you paid. I agree to get that carb looked into first. Fire is NO fun at all. The cable or linkage on the tranny is not a problem. Congrats on the purchase!!!

I'm not sure, because it's hard to see, but make sure there is a cap on the side of the front float bowl, (passenger side). That hole is usually used to check the float adjustment, looks like an open hole in the very first picture of this thread? If so, that'll be another fire hazard obviously.

Hey guys. I tried joining membership but this page was displayed. I got home later than anticipated. It was dark so i did a quick video to check out some of the things mentioned. I found this on the block behind the alternator. Looks like T4121TR6 best i can see it atm. Cant find a internet match though. I also took a few of the Transmission. Kinda hard to see under there. I hope you guys dont mind me posting all the pics. Its just exciting. As for what I want from the car... Well im a Cruiser. Not really worried about speed. I love the Power of what I consider a true American Muscle Car. When that thing fired up... Man.. I had to have it. Im a family man with wife and kids. This is my baby. I want it to be just a Sweet Car to take out now n again. Ive always wanted like a late 60s Impala. I seen this car a year ago and wanted it every day I past it. Man them curves. Anyways thx guys. Will

Screenshot_20210124-193759.png

2021-01-24-19-07-31.jpg

2021-01-24-19-17-36.jpg

2021-01-24-19-26-59.jpg

2021-01-24-19-28-12.jpg

The transmission is a th400. Haven't looked up the engine code. 

Your car was originally a column shifted, bench seat  car. 

The carb has definately been messed with. I personally don't like the holley street avenger series carbs. If you can get the numbers off of the choke horn, we could figure out what model it is. Looking at the engine from the front the numbers should be on the driver's side facing you. 

Looks like some type of bastardized carb. Part number says 670 CFM vacuum secondary carb. Looks like someone removed the vacuum actuator, and filled the holes with silver RTV (pointless)? Is that what you're seeing Tom?

Thanks for the pic. You have a holley 670 cfm street avenger. It's supposed to be a vacuum secondary carb. That's why the silver silicone over the holes. Carb has been played with. 

Do you have access to another holley carb?  

Do you have a clearer/better pic of the engine number? 

Also, since you have an electric fan on the radiator, I would remove the mechanical fan from the water pump. Make sure to secure the pulley to the pump. Your Monte was most likely born with a small block and that is the reason the fan shroud is not there. Small block fan shroud is longer than a big block one.