Paint Color Change on 71 SS454

2 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

If it's an ugly color it will only help the value.  Bling brings cha ching lol

In this case, Antique Green to Antique White.  BTW, it's a number matching SS.

If someone wants an original car, the color change can be a game changer especially on an SS. Not as big of a deal with a small block Monte unless something like a 4spd car. 

• Like 3

I agree with most, keep the original color. Now that I said that I must admit that I did a complete color change on an all numbers matching rust free 1971 SS. Now I confused myself, lol

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I prefer to keep my cars the same as they rolled off the assembly line. That being said I purchased a Classic Copper 1971 SS454 that was originally Rosewood with a white vinyl top and it didn’t bother me. The original combination was nice too but I fell in love with it in it’s new colour. I’ve had good offers on the car too so it hasn’t affected the value. I suggest if you do change the colour try to stick with a factory optional colour.

• Like 5

I'm changing the color of my 71SS which was originally Placer Gold. I tried REALLY hard to like the color but I just can't deal with it.. My car didn't have the original engine and I had to have the bell housing on the tranny cut off and replaced due to the previous owner messing it up..  

• Like 3

I’m way late to this party, but I’m of the opinion that something rare like an SS - especially a #s matching SS - needs to stay original.  Or as original as possible, which is why I’ve been accumulating various parts to have my ‘70 put back to as close to original as possible sometime in the near future. 

I also believe that changing the color likely affects the value on such specimens.  Both of mine have been repainted at some point, but in their born-with factory colors. Now if I was gonna Frankenstein a car that had a drivetrain or interior (or both), that wasn’t original?  I’d built and paint it to suit my tastes.

But like others say, at the end of the day it’s your car and you can do whatever the hell you want to it. 

Send pix regardless of your choice - we love pix here 

• Like 4