Engine Oil, synthetic Oil or Conventional oil?

Engine Oil, synthetic Oil or Conventional oil?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Engine oil do you use in your Monte Carlo, synthetic oil or conventional oil?

• Conventional oil
    • Synthetic oil

May want to add another category Bruce, Semi-synthetic.

I use Brad-Penn 10w-40 semi-synthetic in the old cars. (Monte has a solid lifter cam in the LS6 454)

Newer LS based cars get Mobil1 5w-30.

• Like 1

I always use synthetic in everything, because it promotes lower wear, better fuel ecinomy and better cold and heat protection.  I asked a Mobil Oil Company chemist for a recommendation, he recommended Their 5W40 Turbo Diesel MOTOR Oil. This oil meets the requirements for gasoline engines as well as diesels, and is high in ZDDP. Synthetic oils do not cause leaks, but they can make them worse if they exist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whons said:

I use Castrol gtx 10w30. Can you switch from  conventional oil to synthetic without any trouble?

Usually can with no trouble but synthetic oil will find any oil leaks you have much easier then conventional oil. It don't cause Leak but it will find them.

I went to an auto parts store and it was difficult to find regular style oil but there were tons of synthetic oil on the shelves.

I didn't notice (or look for) the price difference?

2 hours ago, stangeba said:

I went to an auto parts store and it was difficult to find regular style oil but there were tons of synthetic oil on the shelves.

I get the Lucas or Valvoline VR1 from Amazon. I try to keep enough in my garage for two oil changes... The Zinc additive doesn't work as well ,so I always get the oil with Zinc…. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my opinion. Oils with high detergent defeat the purpose of the additive. 

Ed C.