What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my daughter's boyfriend help me lift the hood! Next week I'm sneaking out to the garage during the day to wire in my new cooling fan controller and electric fans. I can then do some much needed cleaning. If it's gonna be sitting...it's gonna be clean! lol

Took her out and finally drove her for the first time this year. What a feeling. She seemed eager to run fast. - Dave

Went to a car show and received a top 35 trophy. So what do you folks do with your trophy's? I've gotten about 25 in the 18 months I have had the car and it is time to thin the herd. besides I never dust them and they are looking pretty dusty. Me thinks that is all they are really good for is collecting dust.

Pulled the headrest off my bucket seats and re-did them with chrome paint. Then pulled out two of the 15x7 rally wheels I had broke the tires off the rim and confirmed they were 15x7 with what looks to be 3.75" backspacing. The 15x8's for the rear will be in by Wednesday so it might make it to Carlisle with 15's on it.

I took a little time out from cutting trees that were lost in the storm last Tuesday. (We had 80-100 mph straight line winds and alot of people lost power for 4 nights.)

My SS has 15X8 rallys and the front tires will sometimes rub just a little when I'm going slow into or out of a parking lot, and hit a bump. I removed one of the metal inner fenders and saw where the tire had made some marks in the paint. I cut some sheet metal and formed it into a long bowl shape. I put it over the area that needed raised and drew around it. Then, I cut out the area inside the marks and welded the "bubble" on, to add clearance for the tire. I hope to get to the other one soon.

Dan

I took it to a small local show and shine yesterday along with my buddy Andy. I think he enjoyed the day as well. It was a set up for Andy. The girls prepared everything for his surprise birthday party and received all the guests while we were at the show. smile

Then today, I cleaned her up a little more with some wax and went on a nice drive. She ran beautifully and as usual, a couple of times I had goose bumps. smile

Cheers,

Larry

I took it to a small local show and shine yesterday along with my buddy Andy. I think he enjoyed the day as well. It was a set up for Andy. The girls prepared everything for his surprise birthday party and received all the guests while we were at the show. smile

Then today, I cleaned her up a little more with some wax and went on a nice drive. She ran beautifully and as usual, a couple of times I had goose bumps. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Glad the "plan" worked for Andy, and glad he could get out in such coolish and windy conditions and enjoy the day....

Hope to see him out with you at a few more shows over the summer....and say HEY to MA an PA for me will ya!!! Sorry didn't get over to say howdie to them before we left...car ran OK on the way home...I don't think I got it over 2000 RPM doing 45-50 MPH (it was mostly coasting behind that old FORD!!! wink

Scott

Had my Monte at Springfield Ohio meet this weekend. Hope someone (FGMCC member) out there saw her! I have been selling parts at that show for 20 years. I go in around lunchtime on Thursday, and don't ever leave the grounds until Sunday when it is over. I am burnt to a crisp. Ha. I am a diehard parts guy. Old parts. I put the Monte on the rollback and took her up. I had to pull my parts trailer or otherwise I would have just drove her up there. People about wore the door off of her. I had the buildsheet out and a short description and history. She is not a restored car, but a survivor SS. She got alot of attention. Man, it was a GREAT weekend!! smile

I had a great weekend with my Monte. Finally got her out of the bodyshop on Friday, went to the Walla Walla Cruisers Friday night cruise, brezed the bricks for a while and had a great time. It's so cool when you see all the thumbs go up when people see her. Went out again today with her. Such a great car to drive. Can't wait for the Western Meet in Spokane

Did a compression test on the old original 350 today. Surprisingly pretty good results. All cylinders at 150 to 160, excepth #3 at 130 and #5 at 170.

Question: Can you tell if the block is a 4-bolt or 2-bolt main by the casting number (3970010)?

Not much went on today! Went to storage to fire her up and battery completely depleted. Must have not shut door completely last time I fired her up.

Been working on a 3 Gauge Pod Housing designed for 1st Gen Montes, Chevelles & El Caminos. Did some final checks from a template I fabricated to verify fitment. Laid the template under dash, took a couple pic's and began contemplating battery issue. Will deal with that one tomorrow.

Doug

don't worry about 2 or 4 bolt, actually 2 bolt blocks are stronger, and unless you plan on spraying it, or making some ungodly amount of horsepower, it makes no difference

Thanks Sam. My plan for this summer is to make it a 383 stroker. Primarily street car. Would be happy with about 400hp. Was more curious about the 2 or 4 bolt than anything else. I will find out soon enough.

Craig

I think the only way to know for sure is to drop the oil pan and look. Casting numbers did'nt determine if 2 or 4 bolt mains. If motor taken from a truck, chances were better for a 4 bolt.

Doug

Gave her a bath, oil change and lubricated hood hinges. Tightened oil pan and valve cover bolts. Tomorrow will replace visor mounts, add a strip of chrome on each front door panel arm rest and maybe a vacumm on carpets.

Doug

Put my new outside mirrors on. I bought some of those cheap Taiwan mirrors last year and when the wind blew, hit a bump or had a truck go by they changed position and were useless. Bought some US made ones from Lutty's and I can actually use the right side mirror. On the repo cheap aftermarket ones the right side could not be adjusted to be useable. Also got the spear emblem installed and it does make a difference in appearance.