What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a rainy day here all day, and this is my shop. I'm not exacly complaining; I've worked in a lot worse conditions. As long as it's not raining too hard, it's no problem at all. But today it pretty much poured all day, so I wasn't able to get my tranny back in. Maybe tomorrow.

006.jpg

Instead, I unpacked the junk the Fedex guy's been bringing for the last week.

015.jpg

I'm still waiting on the short block, head bolts, and a few other odds and ends. The motor is about 3 weeks out. I also scored an engine hoist off CL for a hundred bucks. It's a little rough around the edges, but I'll probably only use it once or twice.

024.jpg

My rockers showed up late today, but this guy was in the first box i opened. I hope it wasn't Summit's idea of a joke.

008.jpg

Sorry such a bad pic, but I wasn't gonna hang around and take another. I had some scorpionacide to take care of.

021.jpg

The correct scorpions for the application.

A couple more pics, just because.

016.jpg

017.jpg

025.jpg

Nice collection of parts ya have there Tom! It is like Christmas in July!!

Installed a set of UMI Performance lower trailing arms with poly bushing ends along with a set of upper/lower reinforcement control arm brackets. Reset my pinion angle.

David

After a few months of defining a Gauge Pod friendly to our 1st Gen Montes, it finally arrived though the mail yesterday! Was a little apprehensive as a whole lot of info and ideas were shared for this design. Spent a bunch of time discussing mounting location, Gauge Pod fastener concepts let alone determining the dimensions of Pod, under dash contours and Dash surface area available for mounting.

Well today I can say it was a GREAT success! It is mounted under dash just waiting to be wired. I selected the location where I was most comfortable with, chalked out the borders and determined fastener location.

Once satisfied I attached (2) Clips to underside of dash where face end of Pod will be secured. (This was a idea I had to make mounting a little quicker). A bridge was built just back from Pod face that spanned Pod face end and was located in such a fashion that to secure Pod to under dash, Pod is held up against under dash forward of clips and then slid back where clips slip under bridge aligning/positioning it while holding it securely. The Pic's are more explanatory.

I also spent extra time creating a mount for my MP3 Radio Jack where I can plug in my MP3 player and listen from radio. Handy when there are no radio signals and your radio is stock!

Spent about 4 1/2 total hours on it.

Wouldn't have taken so long but because I wanted to take notes, pic's and evaluate concepts, this is the time spent.

The depth of the Pod is deeper than would actually be needed but in light of having the Gauges / wiring hidden from view, I elected to keep depth as is.

Here is what it is:

These are the clips that secure, align and position Pod in location:

POD6-1.jpg

Here is the Pod shown with bridge across face end that clips pick up when sliding Pod back toward firewall:

POD6.jpg

Here is the Gauge Pod secured into position where it will be located:

POD4.jpg

(Footnote)

I haven't decided if I will secure "L" brackets to rear of Pod as yet. The clips hold so well, I am kicking around the idea of just adding some thin shims each end at rear of Pod adding more resistance for any possible up/down movement of pod when driving. Easy to remove / easy to replace Pod without using any tools!

Tomorrow the wiring!

Doug cool

I should mention that I did not do the actual construction. I just helped figuring the dimensions, provided technical input for the final design.

The guy I convinced to build the Gauge Pod was making them exclusively for 68 / 70 Cutlasses. He also did custom Pod Housings for Radio's etc. I thought what he made for the Cutlass was so 1st Gen Monte Carlo looking, he should consider expanding to include our cars as both Chevelle and El Camino share the same Dash Configuration. Pretty large market for those that like Old School!

This Gauge Pod is the result!

Thanx for the Props. I really like it!! And as of today, I can say its a one of a kind! grin

Doug

Spent Sunday plumbing the ole girl for gauges. What a pain. You could not make a move without something in the way. mad Was very frustrating!

Took Monday off to recover! coffee2

Today strung the sender wiring from engine bay into cabin. Again, very frustrating due to lack of workable space! mad

Tomorrow I should have wired and functional. Studying instructions tonight and design a plan to make for a final seamless install. Yeah, Right! smirk

But when it's done cool

I just need to get over the nightmares from tackling this project! wink

Doug

Saturday My son, Alex, and I pulled the 402 and TH400 out so we can get started rebuilding the engine. When I rebuilt the engine in 1988 I just honed it and put oversize rings and fresh bearings in it so it is due for a serious rebuild. The TH400 is fresh and only has about 10 miles on it and is built to take a beating. I think we are going to punch the 402 out to 454, put some aluminum heads on it, serpintine belt setup. Gonna clean up the engine bay and frame next time we work on it.

started the process of removing the rear window. using a utility knife to cut out the excess adhesive someone put around the channel. Now I need to find the piano wire I brought home to cut out the rear glass.

Finished installing gauges today band

Turned into a larger project than had anticipated but all gauges now fully functional.

Nice to be able to read actual oil pressure smile

Pic's another day. I am exhausted and ready for a cool shower. 89 degrees today devil

Doug

Had to figure out how to recover pic's from camera to upload finished project, so here is a pic wiring threaded through firewall and attached to gauges then installed with gauges operational.

Whew!!

100_3665.jpg

100_3667.jpg

Now to clean up the mess made to the interior.

Doug

Yesterday the 71 Monte got its first oil change by me and also lubed the front end. I changed the oil in the 70 Monte and put in some new cargo coils in the rear. I will be putting new rear springs in the 71 soon as well.

I've been driving my 72 a lot since I'm trying to sell it. Getting lots of interest from people when I stop in places (gas station, store, etc).

Seems like a good time of year to sell Aaron. Plenty of Summer left with most car shows still ahead. Both likely will stimulate some good interest. It's priced right to boot.

That being said and I might be a little biased here but the 72? For real? no

Doug grin

Originally Posted By: 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

What is the wire for between the gauges?

Shown is a MP3 player Jack with Zune plugged into it. Comes in handy for those low/no radio signal frequencies.

Doug

Went to a cruise in/car show in Jacktown tonight. Couple hundred cars there, usually a better turn out but the weather was questionable. Never did rain but it sure looked like it was going to.

I'm not a real good car show person I don't think. I'm a nervous wreck with people & kids all over your car. So worried about something happening after all my hard work. Wish I could just relax & enjoy it. I think I will get over it eventually.

Lots of nice compliments, of course the only Monte there. A lot of people diggin it being a first gen that you just don't see around Jacktown.

I finally replaced he worn hinge bushings in my left door, then the snowball began.... Realigned the door, then my dome light wouldn't go out, and my window didnt seat good enough for my likings, probably need to replace the lower hinge as the detent roller kit didnt solve the issue of it not staying open correctly. The metal is worn on the hinge where it rises on the roller. Add it to the list

I did go to a cruise last night and found 4 other montes!

I hear ya Cory on the show issues, they have subsided, I only hit places where I don't have to worry about it

Changed rear springs in the 71 today. The 71 still had the original springs and sat quite low. Looks much better now and has a bit of a rake. Also changed the belts.

Spent some time on the 72 doing some extra cleaning in the engine compartment. It's looking pretty good.

Do you have pictures of before and after the spring change? Mine sits a little low as well. I put new air shocks on it but still a little low. Thanks, Dale

Here was before:

0293.JPG

I don't have any after pics yet. I'll bet I gained about 2 inches. since the wheel opening is much further up the sidewall of the tire. The car has a much better stance now with a bit of a rake.

New rear springs are not too expensive, can be changed relatively easy and will improve the ride.

Yesterday I put my B&M shift improver kit in my TH350, front & rear seals installed in the trans to. Also removed the rear window to check for and bad cancer. So far so good.