What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I finally got the bugs worked out of my tranny swap. It's been a little like driving a tractor since I put the 4.10 gear in it last year. My rear tires were only 24.5 inches. I got some new wheels and tires on it. They're Cragar S/S chrome wheels, 15x8 w/ 4.25 backspacing. Tires are MT ET Street 275/60/15 on the rear, and MT Sportsman 255/60/15 on the front. It helped quite a bit with the final drive ratio.

004.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I like the stance, but I may cut a little out of the front springs. Have to see what it looks like after the motor swap.

I also cut a new mirror for my rear view mirror. I could berely see outta the other one. I did chip a little of the mirroring off the back, about the size of a pencil eraser, but I didn't feel like maing another one right now.

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

025.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a local car show yesterday and Monteman1972 had his car entered.

We talked awhile and considered we both attend another local show next week end. So, no wrench turning today! Spent the day detailing interior, washing exterior and cleaning all the grates in the grill.

No expectations for the car show but need to start getting ready for the WM.

Doug

Went to two car shows yesterday and got top 25 at one and top 50 at the other. Today a True Value hardware and Sno Cone Stand sponsored a cruise in this afternoon. Got a very nice door prize, a battery jumper box that also has an emergency light/flasher, USB port and a compressor to inflate tires or beach balls or whatever that sort of thing that may need blow up. A very good weekend for sure.

Drove 200 miles today in the S/GA heat (93 degrees) and humidity shaking the car down for Hot Rod Magazines Drag Week in Sept. Car performed great. Drove some back roads and got in some stop and go traffic going through different towns. Water temp never went above 185. Made a 40 mile blast down the interstate at 70 mph taching around 3400 ( solid roller cam =mechanical music).

Will change the oil, check plugs, check valve lash and do a bolt check. I think she is ready!

David

Not sure if mine sits quite that low. I'll have to check. What springs did you go with?

Trying to post a pic, not sure how?

I put in the MOOG OEM style springs.

Install new whell well trim. I am awp on the steering wheel and i am on the fence as to installing the old man wheel covers.

I pulled out the back up lights, repainted the fixtures, cleaned the gaskets and lenses and replaced the bulbs. Moving to the tail lights next.

Hey Britton, here's a detail that often gets overlooked. The red paint on the horizontal bars. smile

0086.JPG

Some details here:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=409236#Post409236

I adjusted the shift linkage, straightened the steering wheel, and replaced a hose clamp on the power steering pump return line. Also scraped a little grunge from the undercarriage.

I didn't know either that the horizontal bar on the tail lights were supposed to be red. What a cool detail! Gonna do that to mine. Thanks for the tip!

yep, & you can still by them brand new, almost free...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1971-1972-Ch...6-/321176448614

IMG_20130608_194816_zps37c1ee13.jpg

IMG_20130608_194600_zps4c427a6b.jpg

Ordered a aluminum A/C compressor, a show panel from undercover innovations, a like new 72 grill, and registered for the 2013 Turkey Rod Run. Oh yeah, I also renewed my membership to FGMCC after a 8 year hiatus. Big day for the Monte today!

Finally got some small wiring issues taken care of. Then I finally took her out of the garage for the first time this year. Went to a cruise I put on for our local High School Music Dept. It was a good turn out. And as usual I was the only Monte there.

I started to go to tow car shows yesterday. The first one I had my date mixed up as it was today instead of yesterday. I can't go the that one because my granddaughter decided we were going to see the Star wars Exhibit at the Indiana State Museum in INDY. Headed out to the second show just after noon and got about a mile form the event venue and car coming toward me flagged me down. He told me he got down to the site and the show had been canceled about 2 months ago. Mighty nice of them to leave the show posted on car show websites after it being canceled. Oh well it is off to the Star Wars Exhibit and quality granddaughter time. Yeee Haww

Got the New Headlight/Alt Wiring harness for my 70 Monte in the mail today. So I will have all brand new wiring under the hood when I'm done with my Car.

Completed Gauge Pod installation by tightening up under dash fitment and glued a couple plastic 2" tall "L" brackets on rear inside base of Pod to hold wiring inside Pod.

Don't want that pesky wiring escaping onto interior cabin floor! mad

Forgot camera so no pic's. Sorry! frown

Doug

Went cruising on Woodward and saw three other 1st gens. Talked to one guy in a nice blue 71. He was not a member.

Bruce

Went cruising on Woodward and saw three other 1st gens. Talked to one guy in a nice blue 71. He was not a member.

Bruce

I was down there too

we had dinner at Pasquale's and hung out there until 10:00, it was a great night, seen about a half dozen first gens tonight cool