What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I never win even when the competition is a joke. Participant judging yesterday yielded me nothing. A guy with a beautiful 73 Camaro and I were clearly the frontrunners in our class, but somehow we got beat out by a Saturn Skye and a '95 Mustang with ugly wheels. Don't ask.

IMAG0535_zpsb45fd588.jpg

No question here on why your car should not have won. Especially with the "Hey, Look at me!" radical hood presentation. Even non-car people should have picked it.

On other note, It's always sad this time of year. Daily driver is dusted off and prepped for the cold months ahead. The monte got a quick detail back to show ready, new detent cable fine tuned(universal), engine got the final tune since it was way off with 1-2 cylinders down, and hooning down the mid-country road at 110 was in order. Supposed to rain tomorrow so I cant drive her into work unfortunately. Makes me sad since she is running top notch. I have so many classics right now, I doubt I could park her into one of my bays. Maybe Tuesday.

IMG_20131020_190232_zps6727b74b.jpg

IMG_20131020_190541_zps46cb6a24.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a car show this afternoon. Registration was 10AM til 3PM. My wife found a blip in the newspaper about the show at 1:45. I changed clothes quickly and off I went. Received a top 30 trophy and the only thing I did was run the California Duster over it after I got here.

i received my tube steel today so i can start cutting and welding braces in order to take the whole floor and rockers out..and trunk floor too

Since I took the day off. I decided to push the Monte out of the garage and turn it around so I have easier access to the right-side. It was windy when I pushed her out so allot of the dust blew off it.. laugh

th_mc1_zpsff4a8cab.jpg

th_mc2_zps78e41ede.jpg

Also been thinking of ordering some lizard skin to spray on the floor. I talked to a couple of guys today that had used Lizard Skin and they did not think much of it. I do not know what or why but I just got some butyl rubber stuff similar to Dynamat. It listed for about $30 for 6 sheets and is made by NITTO. PBE is my local supplier for it around here. They are located in Ohio somewhere. Seems to be a pretty quality product but I will know more after I start installing it. Right now my 72 has Reflectex aluminum coated bubble wrap and it doe's not do much to deaden sound. It insulates pretty well but no sound affect at all.

Today, completed the installation of Hooker Comp Headers on the 454. Felt a little gains in hp & sounds great. Now I need to relocate the brake proportioning valve as these headers where definitely a tight fit. Just a few more things to do on this years list...

Purchased a new battery tender for the old girl today. She's already in storage but I have to go there tomorrow and spray the engine with storage spray and pull the battery. I know it will be an emotional time when I cover her for the last time for a long winter's nap. cry2

Hi Aaron....it is also known as fogging spray. With the engine running, you spray it down the carb for 10-15 seconds. (or you can pull each plug and spray it directly in to each cylinder) It keeps the rings from rusting and seizing in the cylinders when stored over the winter.

Got my garage cleaned and organized. Took all my summer items to the basement. Moved the Monte into it's winter position. Topped the water off in the battery, hooked the tender up and covered her up for a long winter's nap. Now I need to dig the snowblower out of the shed and get it ready just in case it snows. I hate this time of year!

Put the family in it, ran to Tractor Supply, out to a park for the kids to play, then out to dinner. It was real nice to run the Monte all day today, topped it off on the way home then put some of the blue stabilizer in the tank just in case it doesn't get out much more this year.

With the time change coming, the salt won't be far away mad

Took a nice ride down to the Captree Boat Basin , a weekly cruise in that goes from Fall thru the Winter into mid Spring. I drove down with Jimmy, Bill and their cars, met Al and Greg and Bill there, all First Generation Monte Carlo Club members. It was cold at 8am, but a beautiful crisp and clear fall day. It was great to see everyone.

Took the 72 to a car show in Pendleton IN at the AmVets. Got a top 30 award. Yesterday we had a show in Markleville IN about 2 miles form home and it was colder than a well diggers [censored]. Next year they are moving yesterday's show to June 21st and said they are going to cal the 2nd annual freeze your [censored] off car show. High temp only hit about 35 degrees by noon when they gave the awards 3 hours early. Only had 5 cars, 1 truck and a fire truck from Pendleton.

Took the 72 to a car show in Pendleton IN at the AmVets. Got a top 30 award. Yesterday we had a show in Markleville IN about 2 miles form home and it was colder than a well diggers [censored]. Next year they are moving yesterday's show to June 21st and said they are going to cal the 2nd annual freeze your [censored] off car show. High temp only hit about 35 degrees by noon when they gave the awards 3 hours early. Only had 5 cars, 1 truck and a fire truck from Pendleton.

Let me know if there are any other "drive worthy shows" down there and I'll make the trip.

On other note, I'm still giving storage the bird and drove her for a good while. Will be driving it into work tomorrow. Put mid-grade in the tank and saw a decent improvement. I'm just happy we have mid 50's weather for highs so its not completely freezing.

Took the beast out yesterday to do my regular Sunday errands. I was stopped by someone everywhere I went. Draws maybe too much attention for my liking, but I'm always pleasant. As this thing breaks in and loosens up, it feels better and better each time I take it out. It'll be out regularly until the snow flies. Definitely a solid build.