What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Just seeing a classic car gives many people a warm and fuzzy feeling and brings back fond memories for them. I had a three hour drive in the country recently to pick up some snow tires I purchased and saw several old cars in driveways etc. It made the drive that much more enjoyable. I even stopped and chatted with 2 nice old guys who were working on an all original 1952 army jeep. They also had a 1940 Ford pick up they had just taken delivery of.

It made for an enjoyable drive indeed. Many people just love seeing these old cars and love to chat about them too. I like that it makes them happy. smile

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed a battery..... then went out to dinner. I have noticed that every time I take it out I run into someone who either owned a first gen or their family owned a first gen and they want to tell me about it. I enjoy the attention myself.

Played with the carb and forgot I leaned it out and didn't take off the filter. One new edelbrock element later.....

And bought some OEM looking heater hoses and some new wax to throw in before storage.

My boss did some research and bought them for me. I picked them up today. I'll get the receipt tomorrow. They are the black hoses with the OEM stripes. Rather than aftermarket logos or screen writing.

I'll post the pictures and links tomorrow.

Edit: I did some quick research and these are the ones I bought.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111201622154?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

They look spectacular and will go on after the engine build/underhood organization process. About the same price I paid.

While my shop is in the planning stages, my Monte is waiting. I did find some cheap steelies with rubber and get those on. The Buick GN wheels are going on CL. I had to jump her off today too. The battery is only two weeks old. I don't know what killed it but I disconnected the ground after I moved her closer to the house. I had hoped to go to Jared's show today but something came up.

Changed the Power steering pump out on the 86 SS. That thing was puking out fluid! Also changed out all belts that were cracked. I have a feeling it was sitting for years! Plugs and wires tomorrow.

Finally fired up the new engine in the monte. :-) YAY!!! After I moved into my new house life just took over and I sort of lost my motivation to work on the Monte at all. Well for the past few weeks I have been doing little things getting her put back together and...well this weekend was the first time the new engine was fired and the first time in 3 years the Monte has seen any life in her. Got the cam broken in and she sounds like a beast (Not a monster..just a beast). Super excited and totally re-energized on get her finished.

Happy for you, Paul! Nothing like a major success to renew interest in a project. Hope you have your beast on the road in time for some summer cruising. Good luck!

Finally got our first "cold" front! Low 80s instead of high 80s, so I piled the kids into Blue this morning to take them to school/work. The car died in front of the house. Endless cranking, with neighbors watching, finally started with a huge black cloud. Able to limp back into the driveway, stalled, and push into the garage. Probably dirt in the needle and seat. Carb is coming apart tonight. Thank God it didn't happen in traffic!

Not a proud day for Big Blue.

Not today but yesterday...I decided to finally tuck the Monte in the corner of my garage for it's long Winter nap, can't bring myself to put the cover on it yet though.

8z0u.jpg

Greg, I love your new tires!! Reminds me of my first new '70 Monte! Those tires and wheel covers really give your SS a sleeper look!

May I ask what brand they are and your source? A set of those in a size similar to the original G70's or G78's are all I need to complete the alter ego look of skirts and turbine wheel covers for my SS car.

Thanks.

I just had my new double 1/4 inch whitewalls installed.

IMG_7118

IMG_7115

IMG_7110

That's really cool. The factory looking double white walls on nice fat tires. That's quite the sleeper you have.