What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Kinda at a standstill while awaiting some parts but found time regardless to fix the problem with chrome knob on glove box that wouldn't stay on and been this way for quite some time. GM did a lousy job securing the OEM chrome knob on OEM lock cylinder. The stem on the lock cylinder face was to long stopping short the chrome knob from seating down flush onto cylinder face, thus the crimps on lock cylinder they used to secure knob were not strong enough to keep knob secured. This stem fits into a recessed hole on knob that engages cylinder so both turn lock step together when using fingers to open glove box. Basically, I shorten stem on cylinder, seated knob flush on top of stem and bent the crimps over the knob now secured onto cylinder. I ended up removing glove box door and lock cylinder from door to accomplish this.

Now for some even better news! I backed car out of garage and saw some radiator coolant on floor. I have been curious about lose of coolant but could never find anything wet from radiator, hoses or water pump. My worst fear was maybe freeze plug(s)? Well, jacked up the car, my brother got underneath and found where the water was coming from. It is the HEATER CORE leaking!

So, today was a one step forward and two steps back day! (What a bummer)! shocked Gonna go ahead and add it to the basket and get it fixed along with current project(s). Just goes to show how quickly that smugness can be removed from your face. blush

Doug

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, Heater Core back in and without any leaks anywhere!

Pulled rear seat and door panels, installed power windows and verified with power. Ran out of time so will hit it again tomorrow! smile

Doug

Kicking the resto speed up a notch to insure completion for GM Nationals. Looks like we're gonna make it!! I am excited to say the least.

I feel like Cory last year for Eastern Meet.

Dan

Dan, Cory proved his progress with pictures to prove his claims... come on, tease us a little with a couple garage shots.

Rob

Started My '70 up today. I installed an new under hood wiring harness over the winter (American Auto Wire bought from Classic Muscle). I was having an issue with battery drain if it sat for a few days. Well, With a junk battery that has been sitting for a few years hooked up and charged up some what.I fired it up last Monday and parked it in the garage and left the battery hooked up. It started back up this afternoon. So I think and hope my power drain issue is fixed. (fingers crossed). laugh

Also started to install some of the ARP Bolts I bought to dress up the engine.

Checked a few machine shops for prices on boring and cleaning up the engine blocks.

Found a vacuum leak on the carb and capped it. Now the car runs, idles and drives perfect......so excited. What I thought was a bad a/c bearing(noisy) turned out to be the sound of suction on the carb. kicking don't know how I missed that In the instruction sheet for the carb!

Rear windows are nor wired and powered. Routed wiring through ribbon under carpet just like factory and have power to all 4 windows and both door locks. Reinstalled rear panels & seat.

Took out driver bucket and installed power driver bucket seat sort of. Day was running out so seat is in place and powered but need to finish whith shimming up rear of brackets. Did a little interior touch up painting also.

Still need to complete the harness placement under dash and a couple more wires to attach to fuse block.

We will see how tomorrow goes! smile

100_4191.jpg

100_4211.jpg

100_4210.jpg

No pic of driver door. Made a bonehead mistake and panel is out being patched! blush

Doug

Been making some head way on the 72 build007_zpsaf5410cb.jpg the rear foot pan had to be cut for the ladder bar cross member. build004_zpsccee74ee.jpg will end up with 2' trunk panels on both sides of the gas tank. Not much into the back seat just a little build001_zpse5d817ff.jpg The 70 is sitting quietly in the drive way soaking up the sun 001_zps15801511.jpg

Pulled the crank and pistons out of the 400, and it's looking like taking a hone after it should clean everything right up! Downside, the flexplate is bent, but I guess you can't have everything...

Finished routing & connecting ALL wiring (finally). Before I nested all the wiring under dash I checked entire system and all worked as anticipated. Key Fob worked great. Door Locks were a little problematic and Power Windows (NOTHING)! mad Called it a day. Will tackle the problem tomorrow.

Doug

Changed oil, filter and greased the chassis anticipating the cruising season is just around the corner in MN!

You're lucky, Rock! Mine decided to break on me at the start of the season, so might miss it this year.

You're lucky, Rock! Mine decided to break on me at the stiart of the season, so might miss it this year.

Get that motor dropped in. Heading to NSP if the weather holds out Friday.

What part of MN do you hale from MALYC?

Rotated the tires, had the front end aligned and took it out for a cruise by the beach. It was a cool 91 degrees today.

You're lucky, Rock! Mine decided to break on me at the start of the season, so might miss it this year.

Mine too. Fortunately cruising season in Florida never really ends but mine is likely down for the whole summer at least. I have all the seats out to help with the console and seatbelt installation, the rear bumper removed for rechrome, and most of the engine disconnected to facilitate removal. Gonna be a long project but I am having fun!

Originally Posted By: Malyc
You're lucky, Rock! Mine decided to break on me at the stiart of the season, so might miss it this year.

Just north of Minneapolis, in Circle Pines. Working on the car as money rolls in, but it seems like everytime i fix a problem, 2 more crop up.

Originally Posted By: Rock
Originally Posted By: Malyc

Just north of Minneapolis, in Circle Pines. Working on the car as money rolls in, but it seems like everytime i fix a problem, 2 more crop up.

I Also Plan On A Wednesday NIGHT At Maxx Bar And Grill FOR Classic NIGHT A Long WITH Bingo FOR The wives....Show Up. I guess it starts at 4:30 ....

I Also Plan On A Wednesday NIGHT At Maxx Bar And Grill FOR Classic NIGHT A Long WITH Bingo FOR The wives....Show Up. I guess it starts at 4:30 ....

That the one off Highway 65? Let me know when you're planning on going and I'll find a way to swing by after work. Might be handy knowing someone I can beg for help from =P

The power windows, door locks and trunk release are now officially DONE! 2beers

Everything operates and everything is back in place. I am now working on the driver power bucket seat installation. I anticipate that by tomorrow evening, it will be done and all the projects for this year completed.

Now to clean up the mess I made! frown

Here are a few pics of door switches installed.

100_4219.jpg

100_4218.jpg

100_4222.jpg

100_4223.jpg

I will show a few pics of how I routed wiring in another post.

Doug