What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Originally Posted By: Rock
Got the new bumper on.

20140504_194204_zps5eeb2999.jpg

20140504_194341_zps0579c451.jpg

They dont give you much adjustment from side to side. My bumper is about 3/8" off center I even oblonged the holes in the brackets. Anyone else experience this with aftermarket bumpers?

My after market bumper fit like a glove with no adjustment required. I did learn an adjustment trick from Scooter but it required some specialized tools....... a 3 foot 2X4 and a 10 pound sledge hammer. I would have video taped it but I was too busy holding the 2X4. That was before I knew Scott very well, now I would not hold the 2X4, I would swing the sledge.

Rob

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new bumper on.

They dont give you much adjustment from side to side. My bumper is about 3/8" off center I even oblonged the holes in the brackets. Anyone else experience this with aftermarket bumpers?

My after market bumper fit like a glove with no adjustment required. I did learn an adjustment trick from Scooter but it required some specialized tools....... a 3 foot 2X4 and a 10 pound sledge hammer. I would have video taped it but I was too busy holding the 2X4. That was before I knew Scott very well, now I would not hold the 2X4, I would swing the sledge.

Rob

Are we talking about putting on a bumper or something illegal? kicking

Originally Posted By: Rob Peters
Got the new bumper on.

Rob

Are we talking about putting on a bumper or something illegal? kicking

No that was my front bumper. Just needed a slight "pressure adjustment". I'm a trained professional. Do not attempt this at home.

And by the way after knowing Rob...I wouldn't let him swing the sledge! lol

Ordered up a complete gasket kit for the 400 last night, as well as a stamping kit and new spark plugs. Just waiting on delivery of more money in my pocket before I start tearing into it, just so I have a way to fix what I find :P

So where is the sweet spot? Don't want to mess up my new sweet bumper ya know!

Mine was high on the right side. Just had to tweak it a smidge.

If customers ever saw how I've adjusted doors, fenders, bumpers etc. on their new cars they would flip a nutty! lol

Got the new bumper on.

Same with my '71

Conquered the oil pan swap tonight using the felpro one piece gasket. Not real easy as a one man job, a second set of hands would definetly make it easier. But hey it's done! Won't be able to verify if leaks are fixed until I get new trans in and button everything up.

53A36312-B8CF-4BAE-B4C8-FDFE9EA069FC_zps

5E70EE69-FB0D-4E8A-AFFD-EF1763FC5FD4_zps

2DAA323F-1BB3-49E1-81A0-363E1BA5ECDA_zps

Weather cooperated today so continued working on the wiring of Power Options to car.

Considering all the wiring needs plus what was already there, it had gotten a lot more complicated than I originally imagined! It was necessary for me to rethink it all so when done, the wiring was uniform and neatly stored. I pretty much had to rethink everything attached to the fuse block (man what a pain)!

I installed keyless entry module and hopefully will have it completely wired and operable tomorrow. The front door windows and locks are now functional. Almost to the point where driver cabin will be done and then will move to rear quarter windows. Considering everything to this point, those quarter power window installs should seem like a piece of cake! Once in, I should only have to connect the rear harness to the front and everything will be powered. yayyayyay

Then on to the power driver seat to finish up.

At least, that's the hope! crazy

I know, aint true without pics and they will be coming once it's done, so News at 11:00.

Doug

Please share the clues with us.

Did some fabricating work on a "shelf" to mount the MSD box. Finally got the gas tank pulled to figure out why the sending unit reads incorrect.

Please share the clues with us.

Originally Posted By: footballubet
Did some fabricating work on a "shelf" to mount the MSD box. Finally got the gas tank pulled to figure out why the sending unit reads incorrect.

As soon as I get back to it. Between hockey playoff games and the weather I have to arrange my time accordingly. And tonight I have to have my last of 4 oral surgeries. So that means watching hockey and sipping beer through the side of my mouth. lol

Used it to lug my flat tire off the MINI to work and to find a shop willing to patch the hole, people don't like to mess with the low profile tires in it evidently. I think my friend was worried more about scratching the wheel knowing how I am! lol

Good excuse to drive the Monte today anyway, the trunk is a disaster in it after all the Xmas hiding and things getting tossed in and out of there. Also got caught in a brief rain shower so now I have a good reason to wash it, needs a claybar and wax anyway! It's so nice to jump in and drive, makes you almost forget your going to work!

And she's in!!! Fits like a glove. Simply moved the crossmember back to the furthest set of holes, whoo hoo! yay Hard work is done, just need to button a few things up, probably Friday nite/sat morn.

F88D30BC-3E2A-4C55-9921-F91C913A32D8_zps

18BD21A6-9EB9-4E8F-B552-8DA8A08934EE_zps

12D3E6D7-23F0-4846-AD58-1BA005BAA0E4_zps

374048EC-E4D5-4B0F-940B-A1901370D3CA_zps

Today I all but finished installing keyless entry wiring, did a systems check and worked flawlessly. As the module and relay is centrally located with my gauge pod, I was apprehensive with all those wires routed everywhere that when it was time to check connectivity everything would operate. Well the gauges and gauge lights still work and the keyless entry system operated flawlessly, so right now I'm feelin a little smug from my success. I'm sure something will happen that will wipe that smugness off my face. But until then, every ones just gonna have to deal with it! kicking

Still some unanswered questions but until quarter power windows installed they will remain unanswered. However, getting closer and can now see some light at end of tunnel. As weather permits, will keep at it until satisfied with everything done.

Doug

Sounds like you are making good progress, Doug. Great that you are keeping all that new wiring straight. Mine somewhat resembles a bowl of spaghetti - scares me to look under the dash anymore!

I seem to remember encountering a few little land mines while installing the rear power windows, but that should keep things interesting. Have fun! grin

Scraped out all the tar paper (Sound Deadener) inside, getting ready to install console, buckets and new carpet with mass backing

Cory - those 200r4s fit like a glove! My buddy's 200 held up just fine (knock on wood!) at the track the other day behind a 454. Ran mid 12s. Is yours with lockup or no?

Hey Mike, the one I just installed is a BTO stage/level 2 rated for 500/450 hp/tq. Yes it does have lockup converter. Very mild stall, 2400. Can't wait to road test it, almost done installing, but won't be able to road test until probably late Saturday or Sunday

Picked up my 1970 Monte last night from my Body/Paint guy. It had been there since 02/13/14 gettiing some issues fixed, fixing rust under the vinyl roof, new vinyl roof. The driver's fender, hood, roof, passenger door and tops of quarter panels all painted. The car was Black, so it should have been a fairly easy match and I was assured it would. Well guess what? It doesn't match, not even close in direct lighting. SOB! I believe he may have mixed up the paint code from an 88 Corvette that I owned which was Tuxedo Black with the paint code of my Monte Carlo. So now it has to go back and be redone and I will be missing most of the Car season.

Went to install my new bushings and ball joints and found my driver side lower a arm was bent... Had to buy a new one.

Nothing like finding extra surprises when things get taken apart.