What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I know what you mean with the RPM. My 71 454 does 3200 at 70 also. I'll be listening to that big block howling for 500 miles in 2 days.

Ouch ... hope you don't have to cross any uninhabited deserts. smile

Just curious, Aaron, what size rear tire and what differential ratio gives you that result? I know some SS cars had 3.31 rear gears but most seem to have 2.56. Even so, the 3.31 rear and a 28" tall tire (275/60) gives exactly 40 rpm per each mph (2800 rpm @ 70 mph) in high gear (1:1) of my 4 speed car. Maybe you're running a 3.73 or a 3.31 with a shorter tire or maybe the TH400 doesn't lock up in a 1:1 high gear at cruising speed? I've noticed that the 2.56 in my '70 SS delivers speedometer readings that equate more to a 3.08 on paper, possibly due to TH400 slippage.

Originally Posted By: Canuck
I know what you mean with the RPM. My 71 454 does 3200 at 70 also. I'll be listening to that big block howling for 500 miles in 2 days.

Ouch ... hope you don't have to cross any uninhabited deserts. smile

Just curious, Aaron, what size rear tire and what differential ratio gives you that result? I know some SS cars had 3.31 rear gears but most seem to have 2.56. Even so, the 3.31 rear and a 28" tall tire (275/60) gives exactly 40 rpm per each mph (2800 rpm @ 70 mph) in high gear (1:1) of my 4 speed car. Maybe you're running a 3.73 or a 3.31 with a shorter tire or maybe the TH400 doesn't lock up in a 1:1 high gear at cruising speed? I've noticed that the 2.56 in my '70 SS delivers speedometer readings that equate more to a 3.08 on paper, possibly due to TH400 slippage.

My car came with the optional 3.31 rear gear and I currently have 245/60/15 tires. Using an online calculator I found, I should be at 2,930 RPM at 70 MPH. I wonder if I actually have 3.55s in my car?

I took the 71 out for a drive. At 60 MPH with 26.57 inch diameter tires I'm doing 2,800 RPM. At 70 MPH I'm doing 3,300 RPM. If my tach and speedo are reading correctly, that would mean I have 3.73 gears possibly? I'm averaging about 12.5 MPG (US gallons) but many of those miles are highway.

Noticed my paint chipping on my hood props so I decided to plasti dip them. Durable material and softer in case my kid drags it against the paint like he's already done when trying to help prop up the hood. You like my contraption to suspend them? Wife was not too pleased I used her laundry rack. Lol

IMAG0635_zpsqwqifv9u.jpg

Also, the paint began peeling on the master cylinder so I used engine enamel just in case it's the heat causing the issue. I suspect since it is peeling in the spot thats closest to the heat coming off the engine.

IMAG0637_zpsuuv8gn9i.jpg

That's the ONLY good use for a laundry rack I.M.O. smile

Drove mine to a cruise night tonight.....300 cars in attendance with lots of spectators too. Mine was the only Monte Carlo. I had lot's of nice comments on the car and lot's of people asking questions and some said they had never seen a FGMC SS before.

I just finished cleaning the bugs off and parked her back in the garage. smile

Drove mine to work today and the local Sonic for a cruise night!

I did see another 71 there, he was having a hard time finding a parking spot and left before I got to talk to him. Real nice looking triple black too.

The kids got to sit in the chairs behind mine and eat ice cream, and I got to talk to quite a few people, very fun night for a change! I really needed it!

And Larry,Mi feel your pain on the bugs, mine will have to wait till tomorrow lol

That's the ONLY good use for a laundry rack f gmc. O. smile

Drove mine to a cruise night tonight.....300 cars in attendance with lots of spectators too. Mine was the only Monte Carlo. I had lot's of nice comments on the car and lot's of people asking questions and some said they had never seen a FGMC SS before.

I just finished cleaning the bugs off and parked her back in the garage. smile

I also just got back from a cruise night. I was also the only fgmc there were two 87 ss. I also got alot of questions/ compliments. One gentleman however swears custom on my sail panel is "something only buick made, so that cant be right" smile

I also just got back from a cruise night. I was also the only fgmc there were two 87 ss. I also got alot of questions/ compliments. One gentleman however swears custom on my sail panel is "something only buick made, so that cant be right" smile

There's lots of misconceptions and misinformation out there about these cars for sure.

Removed my MSD Digital 6 Plus ignition from my Monte and sent it in for repair...probably won't get the part back 3 weeks from today... cry

Well I didn't do anything TO my car but FOR it. went to the wreckers and picked up a 4l80e, both yokes and drive-shaft to be "refreshed over the winter...guess I will have to plow a little more

A lot of cruise nights tonight apparently. Glad I stayed in and worked since a rain storm popped up and probably washed away the two popular local cruise spots on Thursdays.

Ordered a rear bumper from Rock Auto, we will see what I get. Took the intake and rear bumper brackets to the powder coat shop. Dyed the gauge pod to match the interior color and mounted gauges. Finished the booster and proportioning valve install. I guess I should have painted the master cylinder based on the previous posts. Received the Eagle rotating assembly and got the crank shaft ready to install with the flexplate and gear.

On to installing the pistons!

Drove it to work this morning! This is after yanking the tranny and replacing the input and output seals because it was hemorrhaging trans fluid and looked like I was fogging for skeeters!

I still need to replace the header gaskets, fix lights, put the hood on, install a/c, paint, suspension upgrades, bigger wheels, Vette brakes....jeez, I need to win the lottery rofl

Holy Schnikeys Rob those tires are a Tad bit wider than stock I believe...!!!!!

hahahahaha

Darren.

Hey Rob, I'm thinking you need a bigger exhaust diameter. I know you mentioned you were gonna put those SS tips on it but I'm not sure they will even look big next to those huge tires.

002_zps5583ffda.jpg

Took the plates off her yesterday.

Watched her leave for her new home today. Hope she likes Long Island. - Dave

Montegettingstrapped_zps9b1cd596.jpg

Dan and Mike securing her to the trailer.

And,... watching her leave. Goodbye ole friend.

Monteleaving_zps45fdc188.jpg