The horrible "C" word

7tonemonte

Sitting here tonight, as Alli is sitting at an assisted living facility with her mother and hospice tonight has me thinking.

Is there a single person here or anywhere for that matter who has not lost a loved one to this horrible disease?

I lost my mother back in 2001 when she was just 51 years old, never saw her children marry,or met her grandchildren. Alli's dad a few years ago, now her mother. It seems everyone I know has been hit by this disease in one way or another. To just sit by and watch someone wither away and suffer like this just seems inhumane. You would put your beloved pet down if it were suffering with no hope of a cure, yet we have to sit back and watch our loved ones lose their dignity and suffer.

My mother-in-law asked to see her grandchildren, and I got to take them there yesterday, and Alli's brother brought his son this morning. Shortly after he left today Alli got a call from the Hospice team that mom was showing some signs, no crystal ball but they felt she should know, so she has been there since early this afternoon sitting with her mom, talking to her, reasurring her that everyone and everything would be ok. It brings it all back to me and what I went through, both with my mother and with my father-in-law. Every time I hear of it,another person suffering it makes me wonder why, after all this time do we seem to make no progress in treatment? The cynic in me says its too big a business to find a cure.

I can honestly say that Ive seen it both rip families apart, and draw them together. In my house it has made us stronger, we have been through so much in our short time together,both happy and sad,sickness and health, almost like our wedding vows were a challenge, not just a saying!

Just wanted to vent here and say that I truly feel for everyone who goes through this, watching my wife be tormented like this yet again, she just called me and she is coming home, her mom probably wont go with them sitting there anyway. She does feel at peace with the fact that her mom got to see the grandchildren, and Im sure she heard them talking to her today, but she has been heavily sedated due to extreme pain from a tumor on her spine.

Its a crazy thing for me to think that you know you are dying and have to be accepting of that.

Sorry for the longwinded nothing to do with cars session, just felt the need to vent, and tell others going through it your not alone, so many others have felt your pain, its truly sickening

I've lost an aunt to it as well as my mother being a survivor so far. Sad thing is she continues to smoke so all I can do is shake my head. Her mother is in the later stages of breast cancer from the same thing. From what I've heard, she let it go too long and quite possibly has given herself a short time to live.

Don't even get me started on the smoking thing Mike, my mom smoked through all her treatments, said it was breast cancer so it was different

I never smoked so I guess I don't understand, but it seems crazy to me

Tony, I feel for you. Please tell your wife that all of us here are very sorry and we wish the best for you and your family. It's really rough losing someone so close, and it's even more painful when cancer is the cause.

My wife lost her dad to lung cancer before I met her. He was a Korean War Veteran and smoked heavily. I've never had a father-in-law.

One of my best friends lost his wife to liver cancer when she was 38. His sister came back home and was a great help to him as she helped him cope with everything for awhile. A year later, cancer claimed her life.

Both were non-smokers.

My mom's little sister is a non-smoker and had breast cancer. She's had both removed. She's doing as well, for now.

I know you'll stay strong and give her as much support as she'll need. May God bless your family.

Dan

Tony,

Alli, you, the kids and Alli's mother is in our thoughts and prayers. Both my mother and mother in law lost their battles with cancer. My father in law has recently been diagnosed with skin cancer.

It is truly an evil disease. I understand your thoughts of not understanding why we can't assist (via doctors) our loved ones wishes to die with a little dignity. We are sorry Alli is going through this right now.

Rob

Sorry to hear this Tony. My mom passed while I was at the Western

Meet in Polson. Then in December of 2012 my step-dad. Both were

heavy smokers and had very nasty bouts that started as lung cancer

and spread like crazy. Hard to watch.

Early 2006 one of my nephews was diagnosed with Lymphatic Leukemia followed a month or so later with my dad being diagnosed with esophageal cancer(longtime smoker that had quit a few years before this). For 2 1/2 years grandson and grandpa fought cancer together until my dad was diagnosed terminal in July of 2008 and finally passed in October. My nephew fought on and went into full remission within the next year and was doing good and was close to being considered cancer free until it came back about a year ago. The poor kid has spent over half his life in and out of hospitals and has had very little living a normal life.

Cancer is just one of those things that's really hard to watch someone have to endure and I hope I never have to see that again.

Tony, So sorry to hear about Ali's mom's current condition. If there is anything at all that Alison and I can do for you folks, just let us know..any time day or night. Please give Ali our love.

Rich

Tony, you all are in our thoughts and prayers. Watching a loved one slowly die is such a terrible thing to do. Jan's cousin was only 26 when she lost her battle with breast cancer. Seeing a beautiful person wither away to a fragile being is heartbreaking. To watch them go through the highs and lows only to succumb to this awful disease. It take a huge toll on everyone.

Don't be sorry for venting here. We are a support group for each other. With losing my Mom less than 2 months ago, I was sure glad to have the support and prayers from everybody here. It does help.

I too wonder why people must suffer so much. It runs in both sides of my family heavily. Also my wife's family, she was only 16 when her father passed from it.

Sorry to hear of your pain Tony. Alot of great support from your FGMCC family here, and that is a beautiful thing. I am so glad I found this great club, nice to share and be a part of it. Many prayers sent your way.

Tony,

So sorry to here that your family is going through this.

We faced Cancer early last year with my 16yo son, and many here know what a battle it is.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Vince

I can't even imagine what other families are going through out there, like Vince, and plenty of others with children dealing with it. I know there are plenty worse off than us here, please don't anyone take it as a complaint from me, more of just disgust with it. It's such a horror for so many people

Really sorry to hear the news, Tony - my thoughts and prayers for you, Alli, and the rest of your family.

I just lost one of my best friends to a rare form of colon cancer. He was also the youngest of our "gang" growing up at 57.

This and Alzheimer's are the worst disease's for families to have to endure in my estimation. My wife lost both of her parents as a result of that Cancer 5 months apart in August of 2009 her Mom and her dad in Jan of 2010. Glendia bought me my 72 Monte after we had the estate settled. She said her dad would have loved the Monte because he was a car guy from back in the 40tys. He bought new Oldsmobile's every two to three years until the 2001 Aurora that we inherited that had 12,000 miles on it.

Hey there, i know what u are going through as myself and others have been through or going through the same [you said a naughty!]. I can offer thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

You are right in saying it is a sickening feeling and at times feel totally useless and helpless.

Our thoughts are with you

Not fun, I lost a very close friend to it at 68 years old almost 2 years ago. He was closer to me than my family members I had lost in the past, affected me even worse.

Tony, sending prayers and positive thoughts to your family during this awful ordeal. It's always difficult when a love one is vertually withering away before your eyes no matter what the cause.

Stay strong.

Alli's moms spirit could take no more today. She passed this afternoon. Farewell to Janet DiStefano. You will be sorely missed by your family.

The only grandmother my children ever got to enjoy and love

Her suffering is over and she can be with her husband again finally.