What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Hank and I went to the muffler shop in Oroville Ca… 

If The Monte rolls, Hank is in the front seat…..

We added 16" glass packs for resonators… It took the cackle sound and drone out of the pro flows…..  Way quieter,,, but still has that deep sound…. 

Hank likes it !!!!  

Ed C… 

IMG_2296.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

Yes it’s a very tight fit, Mark.. thought my wife was going to croak while I was driving it upon the trailer.. about 2 inches either side but it didn’t scrape.. the doors clear the rails on-the trailer . I reinforced the trailer for the weight and put heavier duty tires on it as well.. but just don’t like the idea of gravel or other debris   coming from the truck tires ...like I said, this is just a test for this method .. going to drive it around locally first before I decide see how it does...I have other options...

• Like 2

Another thing you could do is put a flap all the way across the back of the truck. I have seen a few guys do that and they say it works well in protecting the front of their campers

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leghome said:

Another thing you could do is put a flap all the way across the back of the truck. I have seen a few guys do that and they say it works well in protecting the front of their campers

Yea my buddy put one of those (its not solid looks like a huge push broom) like you see on some motor homes on the bottom of his bumper. 

• Like 1

I color changed my Monte back in 1992 and stopped at a parts house to get these mirrors for the paint shop... I was a disappointed that were plastic… 

The first bullet mirrors I purchased in 1970 were cast metal and difficult to paint... 

One of my mirrors has a cracked base gasket…  I couldn't find a new base gasket,,, so I took a chance and ordered these $25 mirrors from Amazon… I was surprised to find they are identical in every way to my green ones,,, even the gasket.

Not sure I'll do anything but change the gasket now and keep the leftovers for spare parts.. 

Anyone thinking about these mirrors will find them better than expected…  They fit great and look like they are made for the Monte ….  Don't let the cheap price scare you off… I've used mine for thirty years and they still look great with the car..

Ed C ...

IMG_2316 2.JPG

IMG_2317 2.JPG

46 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Good to know, I gotta paint the new hood maybe I'll grab a set and see how they come out. For that price ya can't go wrong. 

I just went to my garage and installed the new gasket under my old mirror …  Took about ten minutes …. I got lucky and don't have to paint the new mirrors.. I suspect they will be good for another 30 years…. 

I think you'll like them …  Just make sure you get the CIPA 19100…… I use a small convex mirror on my passenger side … 

Ed C...

IMG_2317 2.JPG

Today I made a cardboard template for mock up and plasma cut steel plates for my trailer hitch… It will be almost hidden when finished and not welded to the frame. Bolts are temporary and will be replaced with shiny ones … My other option was to weld it to the gas tank … 

Ed C … 

IMG_2329.JPG

1 hour ago, EVC said:

Today I made a cardboard template for mock up and plasma cut steel plates for my trailer hitch… It will be almost hidden when finished and not welded to the frame. Bolts are temporary and will be replaced with shiny ones … My other option was to weld it to the gas tank … 

Ed C … 

IMG_2329.JPG

I really want to see it when it's done

• Like 1

A good friend helped me make mine and we bolted it to the borttom of the frame.  Most folks would not see it but I took one of the trailer hitch cover with the FGMCC logo on it and modified it to fit the 1 1/4" receiver.

IMG_1185 (1).JPG

• Like 1

I found this in the junk yard today and cut the end plates off.. After a little cutting and welding, I think it will tuck up and the only thing left visible will be the 1 1/4 " receiver… Distance between my plates is 43 1/4 "… I need to reposition the recepticle on my junk yard find and stretch it about 6 " … 

BTW… my cardboard templet is shown.. I decided to drill a single holes. Center drill, put in the bolts and let it drop in it's natural place… It makes for a solid grip and easier removal..

End bolts are 1/2 " ,, center bolt is 5/8" ... 

Ed C.

IMG_2333 2.JPG

Hank and I went to the parts house and scrap metal dealer… The price for steel is unbelievable.. Beginning to think it would be cheaper to buy a Monte with hitch already installed… 

Ed C

IMG_2296.jpeg

8 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

It's good to have a buddy to go with you. My dog used to go with me too but got used to stopping for ice cream when we went out.

agree… Hank just turned a year old.. I got him at a rescue center as an 8wk old pup… Turned out to be a great dog.. Around here it's a crime to drive my Monte without him … 

My girlfriends dog is a rescue also she's turning out to be a good dog, she loves to go camping with us and always happy to see me. She had a little problem getting car sick but seems to be growing out of it now, she's not quite 2 years old now. 

20210926_084622.jpg

• Like 3

Went for a drive… Hank had to sit in the back seat, Wife came with us… Picked up the remaining parts for the trailer hitch… fbfoiccibjgknbnb.jpg.0c4feb0a327d4e46bb88b0753e4b95d1.jpg