I need some opinions on my paint and finish

My black paint has alot of orange peel and swirrel marks, it's been that way since I got the car. A friend of my brother's does ceramic paint protection. He looked at my car and he says it needs to be wet sanded, and then polished. So the first question is has anyone done the ceramic coating on there car? Does it hold up and is it worth doing. The paint has bothered me for a while so I  figure it might be a good investment.  Any thoughts?

My thought is that ceramic coating is only required for cars out in the sun and weather a lot. Wet sanding may help the orange peel and other issues.

• Like 2

I used ceramic on mine this year, it looks nice but so does regular wax. The stuff I used was a bit more work than normal wax. Directions say spray on wipe to haze and wipe off when dry, what is didn't say is that it takes quite a bit of rubbing to get it off I had 3 separate microfiber cloths to get it all off. I'll be going back to my tried and true wax next time I do it.  Wet sanding and buffing is also a lot of work but good results but you do gotta be careful not to take to much off.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with cny first gen 71, it can look nice, but the difference isn't worth the effort involved.  

I've always used Collinite 845 as my last-wax-of-the-fall coating to protect the paint from the salty roads over the winter.  It's still not the easiest wax to use, but it's easier than ceramic in my opinion.  Seems to last for months for me, and that's on my driveway-parked daily drivers.  It's not expensive and a bottle will last multiple years.  

It won't fix the orange peel, but if you get the paint corrected and then do the Collinite, you'll be able to swim in that black hood.  

Black is very tough to wax. If you want to see how well you did park it under an orange street light, you will see every swirl mark that you won't see in the sun. I use Jax Wax it wipes on easy and comes off easy. I use a couple of very soft bath towels and they work great. Wipe off a small area at a time

John S

7 hours ago, jcakes said:

I agree with cny first gen 71, it can look nice, but the difference isn't worth the effort involved.  

I've always used Collinite 845 as my last-wax-of-the-fall coating to protect the paint from the salty roads over the winter.  It's still not the easiest wax to use, but it's easier than ceramic in my opinion.  Seems to last for months for me, and that's on my driveway-parked daily drivers.  It's not expensive and a bottle will last multiple years.  

It won't fix the orange peel, but if you get the paint corrected and then do the Collinite, you'll be able to swim in that black hood.  

Salty roads :B my car don't see that, mine don't see snow only out the garage door when I open it to get snow blower out. As far as I know my car has never seen a winter, at least not I. The last 30 years as I was told. Heck I even avoid rain whenever I can.

Mine will never see snow, maybe out the window. I picked the car up today, It looks looks better than new in my opinion. My guy says it needs to completely dry for 72 hours.  A couple pictures after I got it home. 

FB_IMG_1636234205258.jpg

20211109_181254.jpg

20211109_181231.jpg

• Like 7

Being the owner of a black car myself, and the proud owner of a new paintjob, mine was wetsanded. YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!

I completely agree you did the proper thing! You should be proud, this car looks like a deep mirror!

Just awesome!👍😎

Jeff

1970 SS454 BLACK

• Like 1

My guy sent my a few more pictures I thought I would share. The first one shows what he started with. My wife says why did he send a picture of a gas pump and the third picture just speaks for it self

254615305_427747742288880_8817596938519914009_n.jpg

255357884_427747768955544_5952619980358391380_n.jpg

255218693_427748365622151_2840776643154128030_n.jpg

• Like 1

Pictures along the door look good except maybe the house has a bent eve trough back by the door handle. Hopefully not a wave in the otherwise really flat door. These are big flat sided cars and really will show if the sheet metal isn't flat. Wish mine still looked that good, but years of sitting next to the wife's ride and people not in full control of their doors have taken a toll (no longer in that garage). Not sure why you say it needs to be wet sanded, that would be a bunch of work (trust me I have wet sanded my share of cars), unless the pictures are hiding something. Most all of my paint jobs get wet sanded and buffed but only because I don't have a $30k paint booth to keep the bugs off the wet paint. Reminds me of painting the 35 Ford (another very flat sided car) I couldn't figure out why it looked like crap inside the shop but great outside the shop until I realized that it was reflecting so much of the Blue from my MC that's why it looked like crap. I always say if you can shave in the reflection the paint is good.

rotin

• Like 1