71 402 4-Speed (Anybody Remember This Car)

For those who remember this car..... it is the Monte that was owned by a friend of mine.  He had wanted me to buy it from him because he wanted it to be purchased by someone who would love it like he did.  After he passed away I was helping his wife get values on his 4 classic cars, including the Monte.  She ended up selling it out from under me to a "Collector" that was sent her way by the appraiser. 

That "Collector" sold it at auction I think back at the first of this year and now it is up for auction again.  The appraiser had appraised this car a couple years ago at $32,000 and that is what I was going to offer her but she didn't give me a shot at buying it.  Now the auction has it valued at 80 to 100K

Here is the link to the auction:  https://www.mecum.com/lots/554166/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo/

rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

That is a nice car for sure. His wife will get bad karma points for that down the road.

• Like 4

Sure, Rob, I remember you telling us about this car and your great disappointment that his wife did not honor her husband's wish for you to have it.   The car looks very clean in the photos - a beauty for sure!  Can you tell if the current owner had to put a lot of time and/or money into it to get it looking this nice?

I seriously doubt it will bring anything close to $80K but I've been wrong before.  There are some crazy people out there who pay crazy money for certain cars.  This car is nice (even desirable), but I just don't think it is quite that "certain". 😄

• Like 2

Car is absolutely stunning. Is that right hand mirror toggle a factory option? Never seen or heard of that before. I’m gonna predict it gavels between 64K and 67K (AKA “Tedesco Money”).  

• Like 1

I too remember Robs story 😡 Ive seen Mecums "suggested prices" can't say I'm always in agreement. Its a reserve car so it will be interesting to see if anybody digs deep in their pockets. Interesting point is that Rob knows the car so the bonafides are there, not that sellers ever stretch the truth or anything 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

For those who remember this car..... it is the Monte that was owned by a friend of mine.  He had wanted me to buy it from him because he wanted it to be purchased by someone who would love it like he did.  After he passed away I was helping his wife get values on his 4 classic cars, including the Monte.  She ended up selling it out from under me to a "Collector" that was sent her way by the appraiser. 

That "Collector" sold it at auction I think back at the first of this year and now it is up for auction again.  The appraiser had appraised this car a couple years ago at $32,000 and that is what I was going to offer her but she didn't give me a shot at buying it.  Now the auction has it valued at 80 to 100K

Here is the link to the auction:  https://www.mecum.com/lots/554166/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo/

rob

I remembered your story too when I saw that listing a few days ago Rob. 

I pulled up a record of the last auction from my "archives", which, coincidentally, stopped bidding at the exact same price that you were going to offer the original owner...

But the top is black now? 

-Bill

thumbnail_IMG_7554.jpg

Somebody is going to skyrocket the price on this one! Man, can't believe it is going back up for auction. Just Rub bin' it in on us. Boy, do I  remember that story to a "T" . That is where I just don't like how some people " play the game " at auctions. I hope Karma comes around to these kind. I wonder if he got a hold of the other cars she had too? That is one rare car for sure.

Edited by 420ponies
Added content

The one Bill has posted is a different Monte, it is a Canadian built 4 speed with a White painted top.

The one that Rob is talking about just sold at BJ in AZ in January. It sold for 50k plus commissions for a total of 55k. I personally looked at it and although it has a very interesting story and is a nice car, 80k is too much in my opinion.

This car has been discussed here and the previous owner before Robs friend shared some great info.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...