Z28 rims for my 70 Monte

I think it looks pretty good. I get tired of seeing rally's on every Monte but I am not a purest as My 72 tells everyone. I get a lot more complements on my car since I put the Ridler 675's on it than ever got with the Rally's

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leghome said:

I think it looks pretty good. I get tired of seeing rally's on every Monte but I am not a purest as My 72 tells everyone. I get a lot more complements on my car since I put the Ridler 675's on it than ever got with the Rally's

I agree, I'm tired of the bone stock look. I'm also bored with the base coat / clear coat look being passed off as original in looks … IMHO,,, those who want the original look a good single stage paint would actually look more natural. And a hell of a lot cheaper. 

It's my car and she's a work of art in style. With all this discussion about wheels,, I'm thinking about changing mine.  I like the wheels Aaron is considering and may go that route also.  First I need to get my wife (the CFO) in the mood. LOL

I know for a fact she would approve a set of 69 Olds Cutlass Wheels if I find a good set. 

Ed C.

Going wheel shopping today.. Not in a rush.. Wife gave me semi nod of approval..

Her iBuick computer on wheels went to the Geek yesterday and the bill was less than $200 so she saved a lot of money in her mind. LOL

Ed C .. 

You can't beat a set of Cragar Keystone Classics on any Monte Carlo. As for the Z28 wheels, Dark charcoal is the only way to go! I am always looking at different wheels for my Monte. I always come back to what I have, been a staple for me. But,I do like the looks of the Cragar Keystone  Classics.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Today I drove the Monte and my wife to Reno and we visited Summit Racing.. Been there before,,, but today was a really great visit…   I took the wife to Popeye's Chicken for lunch. I can get away with that after being married to her for 63 Years …..   :)  $20 bucks and off we went to Summit to spend millions… 

I found a pair of Pontiac Bonneville rims that matched my Pontiac rims perfectly and almost bought them… I really like those wheels,,, but was concerned they may overwhelm the Monte….   Then I looked at the Z28 rims and wanted them too. I was Indecisive and decided to hold off…  I'll post some pics of the two wheels soon… 

They had millions of wheels to choose from and they took all the time needed to go thru my options. I have this nagging idea of figuring a way to use stock Rally's with some subtle changes and yet remain stock in appearance only better.   

So I ordered some chrome lug nuts , thinner beauty rings, chrome valve stems ,different wheel caps, a few cans of paint… I'm going to first try this and if it doesn't work I'll get the some new wheels.  I'll go back to Summit and toss a coin between the Pontiac version or the Z28 wheels… 

Ed C

IMG_0570.jpeg.276d8df2d99e00714ba9827b63b07c8e.jpegIMG_0571.thumb.jpeg.ed6b369b46286b1e8e3ec29765d91d6b.jpegIMG_0611.jpeg.c5c1160b625473bed41c2a9b1522ac70.jpegIMG_0585.jpeg.7f7e7ca3dfe959a3f054f6acecb7330d.jpegIMG_05872.jpeg.abd7b0a0c4226cd6c954907c3459f5b7.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Back on the subject of wheels…

Does anyone recognize these beauty rings… After purchasing several different sets and designs,  none fit properly or looked right on the Monte. 

Yesterday,,, I recalled having a set from years past and found these in my barn… The date stamp indicates they are over 30yrs old and probably no longer available…

Three of them are almost perfect, but this one needs to be polished. Judging from the design, they are obviously quality rings and far superior to the junk I've tried so far… I like the clipping mechanism and they fit into the rim like they were made for it. Unlike other after market trim rings, the cutout for the valve stem is a perfect fit…. 

They look natural on the Monte and show more of the rim… I'm still not sure where I'm going with this. I'm trying to modify the look and still blend with the cars age and patina…. If all else fails,  I'll put the original caps and rings back on and not spend $1500 for some Gawd Awful rims that out shine the car…. ….   I'll post pics later..

Ed C. 

IMG_0662.thumb.jpeg.9d1752b8a77e922543df28a16ac9b21c.jpegIMG_0664.thumb.jpeg.13830bdb18f493f4422e2bfce0861342.jpeg

On 8/31/2023 at 4:33 PM, Canuck said:

GM came very close to offering these for 1970. Here’s a GM photo of a 1970 SS454. I speculate that these were cancelled fairly late and is why the SS454 photo in the 1970 brochure is a hub cap bench seat car with SS454 emblems on it. I think the below photo was intended for the brochure but had to do something different on short notice after the wheels were cancelled. Funny enough though they had an artist colour and retouch the photo with rally wheels and 71 SS trim for the 1971 brochure.

image.png.0ba38617e78a32c4c5567800acdc4b20.png 

I am actually planning on going with these wheels as well. Unfortunately I had already bought my rallys when I stumbled on this picture a while back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally decided on this wheel combo, 

I wanted to drift away from the stock rally look and without spending a ton of money for new rims. 

The smaller beauty rings were in my junk area and I spent about $100 on Amazon for the smaller derby caps. Both are excellent quality. 

I've really never been totally fond of the stock rally combo, especially with raised letters or black walls. I'm hoping this will look good with either the WW, Black or raised letters, giving me a wider range of tires to choose from… I decided on the dark paint because it blends well with the darkened windows…

I've had the side windows dark for over thirty years and so far the cops haven't said anything. Even got a speeding ticket about ten years ago and nothing was said. 

IMG_07613.thumb.jpeg.01e883ebac5c9dd65bcc9ea9c9444406.jpeg

2 hours ago, EVC said:

Finally decided on this wheel combo, 

I wanted to drift away from the stock rally look and without spending a ton of money for new rims. 

The smaller beauty rings were in my junk area and I spent about $100 on Amazon for the smaller derby caps. Both are excellent quality. 

I've really never been totally fond of the stock rally combo, especially with raised letters or black walls. I'm hoping this will look good with either the WW, Black or raised letters, giving me a wider range of tires to choose from… I decided on the dark paint because it blends well with the darkened windows…

I've had the side windows dark for over thirty years and so far the cops haven't said anything. Even got a speeding ticket about ten years ago and nothing was said. 

IMG_07613.thumb.jpeg.01e883ebac5c9dd65bcc9ea9c9444406.jpeg

Just my two cents… the white wall makes it look too much like a target. Too many “rings”… white wall, black side wall, chrome, trim ring, black wheel and center cap. A black sidewall tire would break it up nicely.  Even raised white lettering would probably look better than the white walls. 

0C17CC04-609F-4D1E-ADB7-BC8EE0F84901.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Glen said:

Just my two cents… the white wall makes it look too much like a target. Too many “rings”… white wall, black side wall, chrome, trim ring, black wheel and center cap. A black sidewall tire would break it up nicely.  Even raised white lettering would probably look better than the white walls. 

0C17CC04-609F-4D1E-ADB7-BC8EE0F84901.jpeg

I  agree with you on the black walls.

In my opinion , nothing is more visually repugnant than cheap quality raised letter tires on a Monte , especially 235/15 tires (As other have said,,, "to fill the wheel well "  ???? )…  To me they look like navigational anchor buoys that should be in the lake. 

In my opinion, The Monte is too dignified for that. May as well put "POP CORN" ceilings in your home...

I wouldn't put BIG O, Coopers or BF Goodrich raised letter tires on my Monte if they were free. 

These Tiger paws are fairly new and will probably be replaced with black walls in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

I like the look, I bought a set of the small derby caps also and have them on the car now. 

Thanks Paul,

It was you who started me to rethink the derby cap idea. … The add on Amazon wasn't clear to me if the would work on the MC wheel,  but they turned out to be a perfect fit and the quality is excellent… 

Ed C

IMG_2027.thumb.jpeg.8b306418da2fd6a59f185ff8282713ae.jpegI still prefer the raised white letters on a Monte muscle car. Or gentleman’s muscle car as has been said. It was a big thing where I grew up to see a hi power 60s or early 70s muscle car with crager chrome wheels and raised white lettering tires , and a deep rumble coming from the exhaust,  at the drive in on a Saturday night .. very popular back then and very fitting to the era now .. Ron… 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Searsman said:

I still prefer the raised white letters on a Monte muscle car. Or gentleman’s muscle car as has been said. It was a big thing where I grew up to see a hi power 60s or early 70s muscle car with crager chrome wheels and raised white lettering tires , and a deep rumble coming from the exhaust,  at the drive in on a Saturday night .. very popular back then and very fitting to the era now .. Ron… 

In my humbled opinion, you have the finest looking (non green) Monte on this site, raised letters included… 

Ed

1 hour ago, EVC said:

In my humbled opinion, you have the finest looking (non green) Monte on this site, raised letters included… 

Ed

You know what they say about opinion's don't you... But I will add, Ron's non-green Monte looks really sharp.  :2beers:

rob

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EVC said:

Ed

I will add that, green is ,one ,of my favorite colors for a first gen Monte, not that it matters.. and no, my favorite isn’t white.. 

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, Leghome said:

The rally’s are a great look but really common. My 70 & 71 will have them, factory, but I’m keeping the caps on my 72 for something different. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Searsman said:

I will add that, green is ,one ,of my favorite colors for a first gen Monte, not that it matters.. and no, my favorite isn’t white.. 

Back in early 1970 we were in Japan and ordered a "Plum Crazy" colored 1970 Dodge Challenger  .. Two days later we saw a forest green Monte at Japanese dealer, complete with buckets seats ,fender skirts and black vinyl top …  We immediately returned to the Base Exchange  and switched our order for a mid summer delivery of a green Monte to Reno Nev…  We paid about $3100. back then 

Does anyone know how many Green Monte's were made… The two shades of green were very popular. 

Never liked green refrigerators though … Still prefer white..