Super rare options

Not including odd combinations of common options such as bucket seats with column shift, do you have a Monte with a factory installed super rare option?

Let's see it!

-Radio delete?

-Front drum brakes?

-Manual steering?

-Power trunk release?

-Rear shoulder harness?

-Power seats?

-Power release seat back?

-Electro-Tip wipers?

-Headlight washer/squirters?

-Rear shock lift system without SS package?

-Two tone paint (painted roof a different color)?

Mine is a factory two-tone and it has the fiber optic light monitor system, wiper wash monitor and vanity mirror.  None of them super common but very rare in combination on same car.

rob

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Mine is a factory two-tone and it has the fi er optic light monitor system, wiper wash monitor and vanity mirror.  None of them super common but rare in combination on same car.

rob

That white painted roof looks great over the Ascot Blue. If it's factory original, it would have been special ordered. The spec pack for 1971 shows the antique white top not available with the Ascot lower color. Ahh, the good old days when they'd let you have almost anything to nail the sale.

71colors.thumb.JPG.022d14ca0de8c4085e47c68a07690c4d.JPG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

That white painted roof looks great over the Ascot Blue. If it's factory original, it would have been special ordered. The spec pack for 1971 shows the antique white top not available with the Ascot lower color. Ahh, the good old days when they'd let you have almost anything to nail the sale.

71colors.thumb.JPG.022d14ca0de8c4085e47c68a07690c4d.JPG

It is classic white over Astro Blue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I have an SS that has a power bucket seat!!

Pretty cool! Across all 1971 Chevy A-body cars, only 1,186 bucket cars had power seats.

• Like 3

I did order the POWER TRUNK Release because I was still delivering the Detroit News paper. My dad had a vacuum operated PT release on his 66 Olds 98. I thought that was so cool so I ordered it!  Funny story.... I have always used my PTR since day one and even removed the key from my key ring until one day 3 years ago, it would NOT open!! I went and got my trunk key and guess what, YEP, it wouldn't open!!!. All this time I had the wrong keys for the trunk from the dealership and didn't know it. I pushed the green button about 100 times and it did open. I took the lock cylinder and keys to a locksmith store and had it repaired. Now both work.

I also ordered the SPORT Strg wheel, great option! (It does get sticky over the winter)

• Like 7

The 11,000 mile 1972 I sold last year had the rare option of the two-tone chrome trim but the car was all one colour. It turns out that this rare option could only be ordered at the Canadian factory. Based on the total numbers of Montes with the D99 two-tone trim built in Canada I speculate less than 100 were ordered in all one colour. Note that the trim did not have paint on it like the vinyl roof cars had.

When I first got the car I questioned that it could come from the factory this way but was able to verify it with the line sheet (canadian build sheet) and the GM Canada documentation.

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

• Like 8

It’s funny you mentioned the lack of paint on the trim. Before reading your post the first thing I did was zoom in on the trim to check for paint. The trim on my black vinyl top does not have paint. I assume that it was either stripped because of flaking paint, or replaced. I’m also assuming that replacement molding probably came unpainted. In your situation it makes sense why the factory left it unpainted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marks71 said:

It’s funny you mentioned the lack of paint on the trim. Before reading your post the first thing I did was zoom in on the trim to check for paint. The trim on my black vinyl top does not have paint. I assume that it was either stripped because of flaking paint, or replaced. I’m also assuming that replacement molding probably came unpainted. In your situation it makes sense why the factory left it unpainted.

It is very common that someone strips the paint from the trim on vinyl top cars. It had a tendency to be rubbed off in some areas and stripping it is easier than repainting it. I stripped mine on my 1970 Monte in 2000.

I just recently found out that the trim on all the two-tone trim cars were left unpainted. I had previously assumed that, for example, if the car had a white painted roof the trim was also white but that’s not the case. They  only did the painted trim for vinyl roof cars.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Pretty cool! Across all 1971 Chevy A-body cars, only 1,186 bucket cars had power seats.

Mine does too. Probably at least 1100 were monte's never see chevelle with power buckets. 

• Like 5

Thanks to this discussion about two tone paint jobs, I learned the following:

-Two tone paint used unpainted vinyl reveal moldings.
-Only Canada builds could have two tone paint with the same color.

As the “normal” vinyl reveal moldings (for a vinyl roof) are painted a special paint that didn’t match exterior or exterior paints, these moldings were pre-painted and ready on the assembly line as sets for vinyl top cars.

They would also need to have unpainted sets available for the two tone paint cars.

The 1971 GM parts catalog shows a single part number for each reveal molding so I would assume they came without paint.

I wonder what kind of buyer would order a two tone car with matching top & bottom colors? 🤔

Now, where’s that guy with the low option 402 car with manual steering?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Grant MacPherson said:

Mine has the Fibre optic monitoring system , the dealer installed washer fluid monitor and I added a power trunk. 

Got the fibre optic light on my washer fluid on mine as well.

My '72 has a power bucket seat. Leo Konink once told me that it was pretty rare in '72 ? .   And mine is not a custom.........yet.

How about no options, :grin: This is my 1971 350 4 speed, bench seat never been restored or painted. It pretty stripped down with not much for extras. Paint code is 49 -11 or the D-99 option. Trim is not painted. It has no power steering but I love to drive this one. For some reason it seems to "float" a little less without the power steering option. 

Just don't get too close on a steep hill. :shifter:

IMG_20230625_1934384.jpg

IMG_20230625_1934525.jpg

PXL_20240430_030914263.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, mon-tss said:

Was car ordered without power steering?

I thought it came standard on Montes

Lyle,

That is what I gave always thought too but any car with "standard" equipment  could be ordered with a "delete" on some of the standard equipment.

rob

58 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

Was car ordered without power steering?

I thought it came standard on Montes

Yes, power steering as well as front disc brakes and an AM radio were standard on these cars. Back in the day, some people saw power steering as an unnecessary luxury and some weren't sold on modern disc brakes.

A buyer could delete front disc brakes and get drum brakes, power steering to get a manual gear box and the radio which resulted in a Chevelle radio blank plate covered in burled elm contact paper.

This is from a Long Island member's car:

Monte with radio delete option.jpg

• Like 4

WOW! When I was preparing to order my 71 Monte Carlo the first thing I had to have was a AM/FM Stereo radio!

I was considering a Camaro but insurance would be too high for a 17 year old kid and they only had the MONO radio, so I went with the Monte.

• Like 3