What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Waxed and Polished with more for tomorrow.

I now have a few pic's of Gauge Pod to share. This is the finished product. Gauges are Auto Meter illuminated all electric and are 2 1/16" dia gauges.

This is a prototype Gauge Pod designed for 70-72 Chevelle, El Camino & Monte Carlo. Have been working the past couple months with the guy who built it and based on a design for 68/70 Cutlass.

We decided on a internal mounting design that holds Pod with 2 screws that secure clips to underside of dash so no visible external brackets/screws! This design allows Gauge Pod to be removed after initial installation by simply pulling forward releasing from clips and setting down. Reverse to install with no tools required. I left enough excess wiring so when removed, I can set Gauge Pod on passenger seat. After another modification to tighten up front to rear, it fits snug and no more gaps. This is the fine tuning in order for him to start producing for the year Make cars indicated above. You will be able to install it with a tape measure, Marker, drill/bit, 2 pre drilled holes in clips and a screw driver to secure clips. So easy and has a nice clean look when Gauge Pod is slipped into position. It also fits the décor of our Montes.

PODDONE4.jpg

PODDONE2.jpg

PODDONE3.jpg

This is before I added a couple stops inside Pod rear to keep wiring in cavity and unseen!

PODDONE.jpg

Doug cool

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the girl out on saturday and boy did she have fun. Well,...so did I but anyway. Just want to mention this in case anyone else may be wondering the same thing. I built this engine in 2009 and never ran anything but the ethanol mix premium gas that's at most pumps now-a-days. Never got great gas mileage but that's the way I built her. SBC 383 with 10.5 cr with a .590ish lift cam and Canfield aluminum heads.

Well last year, I decided to run ethanol free gas in my wife's 2004 4runner and sure enough, she/we got 4 miles per gallon better mileage. So I started taking gas tanks/jerry cans with me when I visit my mother so I can pick up 93 octane ethanol free gas. Sometimes even at a better price. My first major trip on ethanol free gas was to Carlisle this year for the eastern meet and the car seemed to love it. Got there wednesday on half a tank and didn't fill up until saturday with that crap 10% ethanol gas. The trip home took almost 3/4 tank. I live 2 hours and 15 minutes from Carlisle.

Well this weekend, she had the good stuff in there again and boy she was responding. She was running like a scalded dog. I've always had a 1st to 2nd slight sideways, tire shaking/barking shift but now I am getting the 2nd to 3rd tire chirping shift on a regular basis. Not getting anything from 3rd to 4th but of course this tranny isn't set up for that kind of hard shift into OD. She just seems to love the REAL gas that issss ethanol free.

Sorry this may be long. Hope it helps someone. - Dave

Just arrived home from 5 days in South Carolina. We had a wonderful 4th wedding anniversary and visit with my brother-in-law and his wife. My brother-in-law is super knowledgeable when it comes to anything and everything about cars, boats and motorcycles so I'm always learning when we are together and we get along as the best of friends.

I have the Monte in Autofest this weekend so tonight I cleaned the engine bay and then started at the buffing process. I only managed to get the hood done tonight with step 1 of 3 but it feels like butter and buffed up pretty nice for a 28 year old single stage paint job. Will continue on with buffing tomorrow after work and then final waxing and detailing Friday after work until late in the evening I suspect. I'm really looking forward to the show this weekend and especially the drive there and back. smile

Installed SS rear bumper strip tonight and then started back at buffing. I'm now almost finished the first buffing stage of three. I'll finish it tomorrow night for the Sat/Sun show.

I'll post photos of the rear bumper strip soon. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Just got in from the Garage. Been a long month...evenings and when I can weekends tearing down the top end and redoing the heads and putting new intake, carb, and all around clean up.

Tonight about 11 pm I got all fluids filled, new (to me) mini GM starter wired up and vaccuum canister installed.

Couple of cranks and few taps of the pedal to fill the fuel bowl and VAROOM!!! she started right up!!! I mean she ran pretty well for a lumpy cam!!!

Turn the dizzy a few degrees counter clockwise to set base timing and she idled fine (something the old setup was not having much luck below 1300 RPM's!!!

I checked the tach, ROCK SOLID at 900 or a slightly below (say 850), Put in gear and she was sitting idling fine at about 750 ish..That is without checking Hg or a light on it yet. Or adjusting the curb idle OR mixture screws..straight out of the box!!!! I think my BASE timing right now is about 12 degrees and I have the vaccumm line plugged so only mechanical. advance. Need to get a helper to let me know when she is at 3000 to see where my ALL in is so hope without any adjustments it is close to 32.

I mean this BEAST (and she sound mean too) as it was even before I did these mods, would not idle worth a DAMN below 1200 or even that it would idle really high...I will post in a new thread what I did/ what I added and (more coming) what I found this time that I didn't know before.

She's a keeper for sure now....I don't think the smile will be off my face all night...hope it is not sore in the morning grin

Scott

Way to go Scott. That's a lot of work you've accomplished. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it in person. Are you dropping by Autofest this weekend? I'll be there Sat and Sun. Once you get the t's crossed and i's dotted on your recent mods, what will be next on the list? smile

• 2 weeks later...

Long story. sit ,enjoy,I had the starter go out in Carlisle leaving the Natl's meet on Sunday. drove about 1hr away, stopped for fuel. no start,no nothing. thought it was my original starter relay on the firewall . spent $80.00 on it at the meet,installed it and still nothing. So I did what comes natural.....I crossed the terminals at the starter and it arched like all breakloose and then touched the key, varroom! off we go to get home. 2 1/2 hrs later we make it home and put her in the garage. next morning get home from work,starts right up. Huh? so I take it to Syracuse Natl's a month later for the meet up there. no problems,this isn't right I'm thinking, maybe it was the relay after all, but it still starting fine. got back from there and drop my friend off at his house,shut her down and 30 mins later, no start , no nothing. So, arch the starter terminals and nothing! now I pissed! to get it started I did this again and it started up! off to home I go. get it home,up on jack stands it goes (this is at 11pm on a saturday night),pull the starter. hook up battery jumpers and cross terminals, no worky, thinking its the solenoid after what its been through. Ok, order a Accel high torque solenoid from Summit and a heat shroud from GTO Don on ebay and assemble. get it all nice in the car and nothing, nothing!! No start, nothing. So now I'm really torqured!! I'm thinking this Accel solenoid is no good. I then call on my son to help me. get him in the car turn ignition on, then to start position and see if I am getting power. Yeah everthing is correct. So,I wait til I can see straight again and go to my local autoparts and pickup a new starter. I check it before I disassemble it, works fine. Change out solenoids and works fine. check flywheel engagement,all good, no shims,reassemble,install into Monte,turn key..... works great!! Now after all this I am still curious as to what happened. starter was new on car in '05. summer driving only has only 8,000 miles on it. I did not dissassemble it to look at the inside of it. bad brushes? I'm thinking dead spot on armature maybe? Now has lifetime warranty one on now. lets just see how long that lasts(ha ha). The header just about engulfs the starer. maybe too much heat? I put the heat shield on just because of that. I know, long story. Any ideas as to what went wrong? Your thoughts?

About a week and a half ago the rebuilt ATK crate engine was finally installed in the '72, so last weekend we decided to put some break-in miles on it. We sat at the foot of the driveway trying to decide which direction to go. With an overnight bag in the trunk (just in case) we decided to take the roundabout way to Augusta, GA from our home in NC. We followed various two-lane highways until we got there, spent the night in a hotel, then drove back home in the morning. The '72 performed admirably the entire way. Having just driven about 500 miles I had my mechanic change the oil and give then engine a once-over, and now we're ready for another road trip this weekend. smile

Filled her up, changed the oil, and got her ready for a show tomorrow. There's a radar run there, so I'll let you know how she does =3.

Went to that car show, ran 86 mph in the quarter mile they had set up. Best of all, I wasn't the only monte there today!

2013-09-07_09-12-36_748_zps0fe93685.jpg

1972 with the 402, and he was about 5 cars up from me and we talked for a bit. Nice guy!

Also saw what may have been a prototype 1964 big block 'vette.

2013-09-07_09-27-08_788_zpsa9357ba7.jpg

Went to a car show and got a top 35. First time these folks had hosted/sponsored a show. A few snags here and there but good time all the same. Five cars from our club and we all received top 35's.

The hood looks great ERT!

Joel, sorry to hear that hope you caught it soon enough, the car looks awesome

Thanks! Dodged a bullet this time. Car is back home safe in the garage. The oil pickup was found laying in the oil pan so now it's welded to the pump.

Btw, love that green. smile

Took the 72 to a car show today. 76 vehicles, specialty category 1995 and up(new cameros, corvettes and mustangs maybe 15 cars, got three awards. The rest of us were top twenty plus best of show. Our 72 finished in fifth place in the top 20 Whoohooo!!!