What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Andreas, Any pictures of those Buick side mirrors?

Rob

Buick Side Mirrors (yes, there is one on the passenger side) with Ford Focus power mirror controller in the driver side door...

BUICKMIRROR.JPG

And I also added LED Tunrsignals to the Mirrors:

BUICKMIRROR2.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Rob Peters
Andreas, Any pictures of those Buick side mirrors?

Rob

Buick Side Mirrors (yes, there is one on the passenger side) with Ford Focus power mirror controller in the driver side door...

BUICKMIRROR.JPG

And I also added LED Tunrsignals to the Mirrors:

BUICKMIRROR2.png

Are the signals wired in? Sweet if they are.

Got the gas tank dropped and the new sending unit put in and back in place. Installed the return line sending unit in the El Camino gas tank and hung it back in place under the sport truck. Even lay the rear frame kit out on the floor so we can get an ideal on how the 15x12" rim will fit.

Well, it wasn't today, but it was a week or so ago. I am hanging in south Florida and had my Monte shipped down so I can cruise in it. I could get used to this lifestyle. I drove to the drag strip in West Palm and had a blast. My buddy Rapid Rick doesn't get out of work till after 6, so we had a late start. Since I forgot my helmet back in New York, I borrowed one from Rick. Since everyone in Florida does like 90 MPH, I blended right in. The 50 mile drive to the track is a breeze when you are cruising at 85 MPH in the HOV lane. I breezed through tech and it was into the staging lanes to hurry up and wait. They did not even make me take off my hub caps. I had no idea how the Nitto 555R's would work so I did a second gear burn out after I rolled through the water. I did a little dry hop and it seemed to have some bite. Did I mention that the helmet was ENORMOUS..... Picture Rick Moranis in Space Balls. The flip up shield was not the best so seeing the gauges at night was near impossible. Okay.....back to that first pass. I came out around 3 grand and it bogged with a 1.81 60 foot time. I ran a 12.07 at 116 and change. I have NO idea what I shifted at as I could not see the needle on the tach. My motor is all in at 5800 and the rev limiter is set at 6 grand so I know I shifted lower than that.

An hour later I came out at closer to 4 grand and although it did hook initially, it blew the tires off and I pedaled it to a 12.09 at 116.7 with a 1.91 60 foot. At that point, since it was after 10 pm, I called it a night and cruised on back home. All in all, I was happy. I also ran into one of the guys from back in the day who now lives in South Florida. What a blast reliving the good old days of the street racing hustle of the original Mom's Car. I am headed back to the track next Friday and Rick is insisting that I take the 100 lbs of crap out of my trunk. I am bringing my own helmet this time!

Very respectable. 12.07 is a fast ride, for those people that do not know. FLORIDA, wow, I am way jealous! Sounds like a blast. I miss the track bad. Dragged through the '80s and '90's. Need to build another car! grin

I am having a blast! With the track being so far away from my home up north, this is a pleasure. I was never really a big track guy, but it is sure fun to rip through the gears at 100 plus mph legally. I am pleased with the TKO 600 that replaced the TKO 500 that was in the car with the old setup. The trans shifted good on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift which is a known problem. I also put quieter mufflers as the flow masters were killing me. I now have the walker super turbos with the 3" exhaust that has been on the car for a while. I am not sure how helpful the cut outs would be, but it is 582 cubes now.

Very respectable. 12.07 is a fast ride, for those people that do not know. FLORIDA, wow, I am way jealous! Sounds like a blast. I miss the track bad. Dragged through the '80s and '90's. Need to build another car! grin

IMG_7118

IMG_7110

IMG_0572

IMG_0571

Originally Posted By: cudax
582! shock This might not be the right thread but did you ever post any pics? I would love to see that fatty under the hood.

Mike

Here's a direct link to the photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/29996868@N07/8884105270/in/photostream/

• 1 month later...

Such a nice day here (sunny and 42*) so I opened all garage doors and started it up just to hear it run. I even started my buddy's 67 Mustang. Sam says they taste like chicken, well this one must be fried chicken because now it will drip oil for two days. LOL

That bumper and grill look great patrick! good work! Im thinking of contacting Leo for a 72 front bumper in the future here..how was the bumper project, difficult or did everything bolt up pretty good? Are these original refurbished bumpers that Leo sells? Whatever they are they look good

started to motor tear down today.....

20140306_200459_zps2ec4f197.jpg

I should of degreased the engine bay before winter hit. Live and learn I guess!

motor_zps34575c79.jpg

The money we spend on these cars......

The bulbs are just basic bulbs, amber in color. I took the time to sand the lens of each side with 2,000 grit wet/dry paper then polished with polishing compound to restore the lenses. I also painted the inside with chrome paint they were in bad shape, and painted the exterior with argent silver. So the bulbs look bright because it was night and I was using my phone camera.

The bumpers are from OPGI, they were birthday gifts otherwise I would have purchased from Leo. I kept my originals and some day when I'm rich and famous I'll rechrome them. I'm having a little trouble with the front bumper (which is normal I'm told) to line up properly. it is about a 1/4" to the left, so I need a bigger hammer I guess. Actually I have a friend that owns a body shop (a good one) and I'll have him tweak it for me.

Thanks for the kudos anyway, I agree the new bumpers look great, especially in person compared to the original ones, they were looking kind of sad.

Okay Better photos of the Monte with new bumpers. I just wanted to add that the turn lenses came out really nice and it was a fairly simple process.

MonteFbumper_zps1a5db732.jpg

MonteFbumper2_zps34b3669b.jpg

MonteFbumper3_zpsd5e78a35.jpg

Oh no forgot to take picture of the back bumper. blush

I got my 72's front bumper form Leo and it fit real good and is an aftermarket by Dynacorn I think was the name of that was on the box. If you go to his website they are listed there. He was making a trip to Indianapolis and dropped my parts off here at the house on his way.

I cleaned out my garage of all the unwanted winter stuff like the snowblower. I then woke the Monte from her hibernation and moved it away from up against the wall. Now to start on the "To Do" list and have it ready for when the salt and rocks finally get cleaned off the road.

2014-03-08170515_zps9fdfba69.jpg

I cleaned out my garage of all the unwanted winter stuff like the snowblower.

Looks like you cleaned out everything...I don't see anything left except that outlet... lol

Originally Posted By: footballubet

Looks like you cleaned out everything...I don't see anything left except that outlet... lol

I left a couple lights also. lol It's just the angle of the shot. The front wall of the garage is full the whole way across....toolbox, shelves and the most important item in a garage, the fridge!

Originally Posted By: footballubet

When Scott says he cleans.......He cleans! lol

Continued engine re-assembly. I installed the oil pump, timing cover and oil pan. Rolled the engine over and then set the heads on and checked the valve train geometry for pushrod lengths...an order to summit will be going out this evening. Did a little painting of waterpump & misc items. Can't wait to fire it up.

Scott

Fired both cars up today. Took the 70 for a short cruise. Both need a little TLC. The 71 has a little bit of an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold but easily resolved with some new donuts. Also need to change rad/heater hoses. The 70 is weeping a little coolant at the thermostat housing.