What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Yes, I plan to do the Pertronix upgrade with the stock cap. I would still want this to appear stock. Do I need different plug wires and spark plugs with electronic ignition?

I think you have to upgrade the coil, I believe the stock coil won't work but not 100 percent sure but I believe that's why I did the one I did. Plugs will be the same but I did open the gap just a bit, wires should be ok.

• Like 1

You can use the stock coil, wires and plugs. I have installed the Pertronix ignition on three GM  cars. Be sure to bypass the ballast resistor so you will get full voltage to the coil. I recommend  the LS model for longivity.

• Like 1

I have heard that if you use solid copper (old school from the 60's) spark plug wires, the unit will not last. Standard wires from the 70's will work fine. FYI

• Like 1

It was going to happen at some point Steve. Last week was a tease with temperatures in the high 70’s and low 80’s. Time to tuck it away for the winter. 

• Like 2

As long as they don't put any salt down we may get a few more days but as soon as they do we're done,  theres no need for it today but they still have some left over from last year so who knows they may get stupid. I just went out roads are just wet.

• Like 1

I got in the truck yesterday Morning and there were some flurries on the wiper blades and the belt molding of the pickup

I AM READY FOR SPRING ALREADY in fact I was ready two weeks ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Canuck said:

I’m working away in the shop and notice the 13/16 spark plug socket giving me a sinister look. 🤣

IMG_1587.jpeg

Probably looking for that elusive 10MM socket 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Probably looking for that elusive 10MM socket 🤣

Aren't we all...

Found it!!

10mm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pull the transmission found the pilot bushing to be excessively worn so out comes the clutch. By the pictures the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc look good. According to receipts I have when I bought the car clutch kit was replaced along with flywheel in 2008 everything but the pilot bushing. And of course, as luck would have it my new pilot bushing puller did not work, imagine that. Out comes the hacksaw, cut bushing, and chop it out in pieces. Fly wheel cleaned up. Very nice since I’ve gone this far. Probably a good idea to put a new clutch in. Any thoughts on that or use the old one? Also yes if you notice you are correct, the transmission is pre-1969 it is 1968 M20 P8C11

John S

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

IMG_0182.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like you already got the bushing out. Next time, or better yet, on someone else's car try filling the hole and crank wit a piece of bread or grease, use a 1/2 drive extension and hammer it in. 9 outa 10 times this works flawlessly. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Looks like you already got the bushing out. Next time, or better yet, on someone else's car try filling the hole and crank wit a piece of bread or grease, use a 1/2 drive extension and hammer it in. 9 outa 10 times this works flawlessly. 

I've heard that used before too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Yes, the bushing was out. I’ve had bad luck trying to get them out in that manner. Evidently it doesn’t seal tight enough around the sides of the bushing so it doesn’t press it out what you’re essentially doing is hydraulically, pressing it out unfortunately, the majority of the ones I’ve removed have been so tight That this was the only way I could do it. The ID of a new bushing is .593 The input shaft on my transmission was .589 before I pulled the bushing out. I found a socket with an .600 outside diameter put it in the bushing and there was 1/8 of an inch of movement in it very worn out. I will freeze the new one overnight install it and of course trial fit it to make sure the input shaft will still fit.

• Like 2

I have a pilot bushing puller for a slide hammer. Never once has it worked, always pulled out.

I use an old input shaft from a blown up transmission, with the gear cut off. Pack with grease, works every time. If for some reason there's a lot of slop, wrap the end with electrical or Teflon tape to take up the gap.

The roller pilot bushings are typically preferred over the bronze ones, but bellhousing alignment is more critical to make sure it spins true. Tremec requires this to be checked with a dial gauge and sent to them to maintain a warranty on their new transmissions.

There's a course spline one around here somewhere too. They're better than the plastic clutch alignment tools too, but very, very, expensive 😁

20231104_211608.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jft69z said:

I have a pilot bushing puller for a slide hammer. Never once has it worked, always pulled out.

I use an old input shaft from a blown up transmission, with the gear cut off. Pack with grease, works every time. If for some reason there's a lot of slop, wrap the end with electrical or Teflon tape to take up the gap.

The roller pilot bushings are typically preferred over the bronze ones, but bellhousing alignment is more critical to make sure it spins true. Tremec requires this to be checked with a dial gauge and sent to them to maintain a warranty on their new transmissions.

There's a course spline one around here somewhere too. They're better than the plastic clutch alignment tools too, but very, very, expensive 😁

20231104_211608.jpg

I found my input shafts years ago in salvage yards.

I finally got out with my Monte to meet some of the “NY Sopranos and Friends’’ at a local Cars and Coffee cruise in this morning.  It’s been 9 weeks since we were last out for this weekly gathering wIth it raining for the last 8 weekends. It was great to see everyone and let the Monte stretch its legs. A nice way to start my day !!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John S said:

I found my input shafts years ago in salvage yards.

I created my own, the hard way..$$$$

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bob 71 said:

was a nice day around here would have been nice to go for a ride BUT got busy doing stoopid stuff

Yea wasn't bad Bob went out messed with camper getting ready to move to its winter spot and raked some leaves. Paying for it tonight. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

went out messed with camper getting ready to move to its winter spot and raked some leaves. Paying for it tonight. 

You should have known better than be out raking and cleaning up leaves.  Aren't there any neighborhood kids looking for a few extra bucks?

rob

• Like 2