What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

11 hours ago, Steve G said:

Put my hood back on, got to find out the air cleaner is about 1/2 too tall. 🙁 65CE5C83-46B3-42AE-90FE-2B3375FD8BA3.thumb.jpeg.7e91b4604fd28bbb34ca727f580ab90c.jpeg

That appears to be a small block air cleaner on a big block engine. That could be the issue maybe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DragCat said:

Hey Ron, are the bow tie emblems on the valve covers considered a modification ? 🤣

Come on Mark, you know they are, are you bullying Ron,, you know we won't stand for that. :yay::k:k

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

That appears to be a small block air cleaner on a big block engine. That could be the issue maybe.

For sure not a small block snorkel.

rob

Don't understand why it doesn't fit. I have an RPM air gap, 1" open spacer, Holley carb and stock (for a big block 70 Camaro) air cleaner assy on Big Red with no interference. 🤔

Is it hitting an under hood brace? If so, can you "manipulate" it for the needed clearance? 

IMG_20190928_174700.jpg

IMG_20190928_174651.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Don't understand why it doesn't fit. I have an RPM air gap, 1" open spacer, Holley carb and stock (for a big block 70 Camaro) air cleaner assy on Big Red with no interference. 🤔

Is it hitting an under hood brace? If so, can you "manipulate" it for the needed clearance? 

IMG_20190928_174700.jpg

IMG_20190928_174651.jpg

My intake has 1” on an air gap plus my air cleaner lid is far taller than yours. It is a factory 402 air cleaner.  I’m just going to modify the air cleaner base.

24 minutes ago, Steve G said:

My intake has 1” on an air gap plus my air cleaner lid is far taller than yours. It is a factory 402 air cleaner.  I’m just going to modify the air cleaner base.

Gotcha. That makes sense. The Camaro air cleaner is made to fit a Holley carb and is dropped more than yours with a Qjet. 

Idk if you are running the Qjet but if not and you have a Holley on there you will have to make holes in the base for the float bowl adjusters to pass through the get the base lower besides bending the base itself. 

• Like 1

Went to the paint shop today, I’ve had girl friends that kept their promises better than these guy, they made some progress doors hood and trunk lid primered, it was due Sept 29, maybe Christmas but I’m not holding my breath 

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1744.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

• Like 4

Joe she is coming along very nicely!!!  You know what they say, if they tell you 4 months you have to double that time. So in 8 months your car should be done!!!

I know the anticipation is a killer, been there done that!!  lol

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

IMG_20190928_174700.jpg

IMG_20190928_174651.jpg

Hey Thomas, I don’t want to change the topic on a thread but I was wondering the power wire coming from your positive cable to the radiator support is that a fusible link or a standard 10 AWG wire?

34 minutes ago, John S said:

Hey Thomas, I don’t want to change the topic on a thread but I was wondering the power wire coming from your positive cable to the radiator support is that a fusible link or a standard 10 AWG wire?

Hi John, it is a standard 10 AWG wire. For me, I have found the old factory fusible wire/link that the factory installed there is always a source of problems for its age in all of our 6 Monte Carlos. 

17 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hi John, it is a standard 10 AWG wire. For me, I have found the old factory fusible wire/link that the factory installed there is always a source of problems for its age in all of our 6 Monte Carlos. 

Thanks again

• You're Welcome 1

I replaced the accelerator pump in the 71 SS yesterday to resolve some fuel issues I was having. I was able to get out for a test drive today.

IMG_1879.jpeg

• Like 11

My son in-law came today and we finally did a compression check on y me 20 over 350 and all cylinders checked out within 5# of each other. Put a couple of squirts of ol on each cylinder and the compression only increased by 4#. I don’t know what the compression should but number two and number were fouled with oil although the NKG plugs were not nearly as bad as the AC Delco I took out a few months ago. So no to decide what our next step will be

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Do a leakdown test too.

That is what Jamey suggested before they headed home. That something I have heard of but never have done. I have an adapter I can hook to my air hose and try and hear any air leaks. 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:42 PM, MC1of80 said:

Looking good. Are they going to remove the sailpanel emblems or paint around them? 🤔 They just pop off... Carefully. Barrel clips hold them in. 

The plan is to remove them, hopefully all the plans are kept

It's a bit more involved than a compression test, but a useful diagnostic. 

You need another tool to do it, but maybe one if your buddies has one. If not, they're not real expensive. If you have any questions,  give me a call, it's easier to explain that way.