New Guy Here

jft69z

Now i know what your doing when you are sitting on the couch Joe.   Thinking!!!!  Always thinking!!!  LOL   Nice job!!   You would think the manufacturer would know to keep them open all the way through. lol

• Like 1

I'm going with the last set you had on video. Flowmasters sounded good ,but a little too loud for me as driving it down the road, (tunnel sound).Genius on the expander, that does the trick. Hope my motor sounds as good as yours! I will be "back to work" on the Monte in October ,hand is just about there in strength now.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willie said:

You would think the manufacturer would know to keep them open all the way through. lol

Thanks Willie. Yep, I'm always thinking, keeps me awake at night, lol.

I think it's that way to make manufacturing easier. It looks like that 'cone' would slide into the internal perforated pipes easier during assembly, regardless of the restriction. The 2.5" Thrush turbos were the same, except these were necked down to 1.77" inside. 

40 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

I'm going with the last set you had on video. Flowmasters sounded good ,but a little too loud for me as driving it down the road, (tunnel sound).Genius on the expander, that does the trick. Hope my motor sounds as good as yours! I will be "back to work" on the Monte in October ,hand is just about there in strength now.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Thank you! I agree Jim, so far the last set is leading the pack, especially now that they're opened up a bit more. There is a set of Flowmaster  Super 40 Delta Flows coming (Blowmaster as Tom would call them, lol), they're supposed to be a bit quieter, less resonance than the Super 44's tested. The Holley Stainless Aero-Chambers may be worth a shot too, they should be here in a week or so.

Glad your hand is getting better, hope you're back to 100% soon!

• Like 1

More mufflers, 😁

First is the Flowmaster Super 44's and the Dynomax Turbos that I opened up inside. (both tested earlier)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb82UOBG7ocWk5Q54_?e=MDgbDF

Next is the Flowmaster Super 40 Delta flows (supposed to be quieter than 44's), and the Holley Aero-Chambers that just arrived yesterday/today. Those Holley's are stupid heavy & also physically larger than everything else too.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb82Zaoj1myRPkvSIk?e=0AnvNR

Last is the old Thrush 2.5" Turbos that were on the car originally. I took them out of the attic, pulled them from the pipes and made adapters to slip them on the 3" pipes. Truth be told, I still like these the best.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb82hd_1cPLGCBh6Ix?e=dWkH5Z

A few buddies will be over later to hear them in person. Probably a toss up between the Dynomax Turbos & the newer Flowmaster 40 Deltas.

1 minute ago, MC1of80 said:

Joe, didn't realize she's an RS/z-28. Cool! 

Thanks Tom! I got lucky years ago when I found it, the RS with the hideaway lights was just an added bonus.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Joe, I think i would agree, the last ones. 

Thanks Paul. 

Unfortunately, those are 2 1/2" inlet/outlet, and about 34 years old, lol. I even tried to get replacements from Thrush in that size, and they weren't anywhere close to the inside dimension as the originals.

According to online reviews, The Dynomax Turbo muffler gets louder as the weeks pass by, probably the internal glass matting going away. That may make them more like the original mufflers, as time goes by.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It runs.

Some issues with the transmission, pops out of reverse for some reason. Called Silversport Transmissions but they're swamped today & have to wait until tomorrow for tech support to call back. Called Tremec direct and they said "that's a new one", naturally, with the black cloud that follows me. No doubt I'll probably be pulling it back out, 😞.

Ran pretty fair, considering it's a startup tune & drove it a couple of blocks. Did manage to seal the driveway with a little rubber, before they come for real tomorrow to do it right. :yay:

In the mean time, maybe I'll clean it up, check everything over, re-install the lower rocker trim, etc. Left the tail pipes on for now, but those will probably come off, especially if I have to pull the trans anyways. Plenty of time to decide.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, DragCat said:

Beautiful and sounds great, about time you got your butt outta the lazy boy 🤣 Would have liked to see the burnout, or at least the aftermath 

Thanks Mark. 

I didn't go too crazy with the tires because everything is still new.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Thanks Mark. 

I didn't go too crazy with the tires because everything is still new.

I get it, just being selfish or trying to live vicariously through your exploits 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can see some fresh marks out there. I didn't even bother looking at the security cameras.

20221003_170551.jpg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Very nice Joe.

rob

13 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Gorgeous car ,  Absolutely love everything about it !!!!!! 

9 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Looks great, what your next project? Dennis's pos70?

Thank you all!

I've offered to help Paul, but he'd have to bring it here. He said no to that right now, but you never know, 😁

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Thank you all!

I've offered to help Paul, but he'd have to bring it here. He said no to that right now, but you never know, 😁

Still no. lol. I’m trying to get the video to play. It’s not about me taking the car, I won’t involve someone else into my self inflicted issues. lol 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I just got the video to play. Sweet mother that’s nice. Sounds great. Joe you deserve 5 dancing bananas. 

Thanks Dennis!

• Like 1