Did I mention that Chicago winters SUCK?

Glen

7 inches last week. Another foot overnight into this morning and through the afternoon, just finished an hour ago.  But 6 to 8 more inches of lake affect predicted for tonight. Running out of room to put it all, thank God the dogs haven’t tried to use the snow ramp to get over the fence… they usually just sink in up to their ears 🤣😂

Yes the grill is accessible because there will be ribeyes going on them shortly.  I don’t care how cold it gets, I grill all year long  

Free snow to a good home, just give a shout and come get it… I’ll even help you load it. 

4A18934D-591D-4C15-B302-85D319D54746.jpeg

35D1F2F4-DA7F-49C8-9EFD-707DB05F81DD.jpeg

1642B606-6179-4E8B-B12D-A570B4225DCB.jpeg

0B198396-2EC5-4D2D-822D-F64DC4990356.jpeg

BF7E26E4-661D-482B-BE7C-68B50D6DCA62.jpeg

E8E55137-301F-43AC-A996-E3CC6C43A2D5.jpeg

504C23C2-4F96-47DD-B033-0F394CB63642.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

I don’t care how cold it gets, I grill all year long

Love it. I did a ’monsoon bbq’ in autumn, rigged up a slightly hazardous canopy and cooked burgers & drank beers in 2 inches of rain. It was great. Can’t rely on the weather here in Ireland, you might have heard. 

12 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Love it. I did a ’monsoon bbq’ in autumn, rigged up a slightly hazardous canopy and cooked burgers & drank beers in 2 inches of rain. It was great. Can’t rely on the weather here in Ireland, you might have heard. 

Yes sir… same applies here. There’s a phrase we use here:  “Don’t like the Chicago weather?  Stick around an hour - it’ll change”. 

• Like 1

That is some ugly stuff! Looks like you cleared it out pretty good though. We're going to get ours tonight. Currently near 40 degrees and raining. Going to freeze up and dump 12-18 inches the next day or so, starting tonight.

Not too happy, took an OT shift tonight and I get to take 4 power lines and a breaker out of service at 5 AM. They still haven't cleared a path to anything from the storm 2 weeks ago. Just keep telling myself....'it's double time tonight'....and 4 months and 26 days of this crap left. Then I go home in the morning and plow my stuff out all day.

Just keep telling myself....'it's double time tonight'....and 4 months and 26 days of this crap left.

I envy ya, Joe. The end’ll be here before you know it. Me?  I’m stuck in a little under 3 and a half more years to hit the “Magic 55” to have my health insurance covered.  It feels like a prison sentence that never ends sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Glen said:

I’m stuck in a little under 3 and a half more years to hit the “Magic 55” to have my health insurance covered.  It feels like a prison sentence that never ends sometimes. 

That time will go quicker than you think, especially as you get older.

I have some new trainees that have like 40 years to go. I tell them if I had that long to go, I'd just jump in the forebay  (waterway that leads to the intakes of the 13 big , 225,000 HP  hydropower generators) and end it all now, lol.

• Haha 1

Ugh, no thanks . You can keep the snow, thats why we just bought a house in Fl.  When I was younger, I said I was gonna retire and buy a house in Montana. Nope. Not now. Ain't going to happen. My bones and joints said you need warmth. On the other hand, Glen, looks like you have a beautiful brick driveway that will look great when all the white stuff melts!!

36 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Ugh, no thanks . You can keep the snow, thats why we just bought a house in Fl.  When I was younger, I said I was gonna retire and buy a house in Montana. Nope. Not now. Ain't going to happen. My bones and joints said you need warmth. On the other hand, Glen, looks like you have a beautiful brick driveway that will look great when all the white stuff melts!!

That’s actually the patio in my tiny back yard. I have a very small lot, but it’s quite typical of the average Chicago residential lot (30’ W x 125’ D).  Can’t wait to retire and have at least a few acres.  

But this is why I still haven’t bought a snowblower… even with 2 garage aprons to clear (I rent 1/2 the garage directly across the alley from me - this neighbor just so happens to be a retired coworker) I really don’t mind shoveling. The neighbors with blowers usually help clear the street for the “Mongomobile” if they’re out clearing snow while I’m shoveling the spots in front of the house.  If I had a corner lot and/or a side drive?  Oh yeah, I’d get a snowblower. But for now I get a workout in shoveling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

7 inches last week. Another foot overnight into this morning and through the afternoon, just finished an hour ago.  But 6 to 8 more inches of lake affect predicted for tonight. Running out of room to put it all, thank God the dogs haven’t tried to use the snow ramp to get over the fence… they usually just sink in up to their ears 🤣😂

Yes the grill is accessible because there will be ribeyes going on them shortly.  I don’t care how cold it gets, I grill all year long  

Free snow to a good home, just give a shout and come get it… I’ll even help you load it. 

4A18934D-591D-4C15-B302-85D319D54746.jpeg

35D1F2F4-DA7F-49C8-9EFD-707DB05F81DD.jpeg

1642B606-6179-4E8B-B12D-A570B4225DCB.jpeg

0B198396-2EC5-4D2D-822D-F64DC4990356.jpeg

BF7E26E4-661D-482B-BE7C-68B50D6DCA62.jpeg

E8E55137-301F-43AC-A996-E3CC6C43A2D5.jpeg

504C23C2-4F96-47DD-B033-0F394CB63642.jpeg

Glen, I grew up in Jacksonville Florida.  I entered the US Air Force in November of 1968.  At he completion of Basic Training they sent me to Chanute Air Force in Rantoul, IL which I think is a couple or three hours south of Chicago.  

I arrived there shortly after the first of the year in January of 1969.  This, at the time, was quite a cultural shock for a Florida Boy.  There was 3 feet of snow everywhere you looked and it was way colder than I had ever experienced.  I never saw grass there until late March, almost April.  With climate change I don't think it is quite as bad now, just like here in Pittsburgh.

That said, this year has been a bit more harsh than the past 5 to 8 years so I think, at least here in Pittsburgh, we are having a somewhat more traditional winter.

rob

3 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Glen, I grew up in Jacksonville Florida.  I entered the US Air Force in November of 1968.  At he completion of Basic Training they sent me to Chanute Air Force in Rantoul, IL which I think is a couple or three hours south of Chicago.  

I arrived there shortly after the first of the year in January of 1969.  This, at the time, was quite a cultural shock for a Florida Boy.  There was 3 feet of snow everywhere you looked and it was way colder than I had ever experienced.  I never saw grass there until late March, almost April.  With climate change I don't think it is quite as bad now, just like here in Pittsburgh.

That said, this year has been a bit more harsh than the past 5 to 8 years so I think, at least here in Pittsburgh, we are having a somewhat more traditional winter.

rob

Oh man. I can only imagine what a shock to the system that had to be. I’ve been here my whole life, so I’m accustomed to (but still hate winters!) the wildly fluctuating weather conditions of our “four seasons”. 

And did you notice my backyard “grass” in the one picture?  Nice and dark green year round!!!  Artificial turf was money well spent. It got old really quick patching/repairing grass every spring after 2 dogs destroyed it every winter. Plus no more muddy paws in the house. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

November of 68, I was 5 months old. Lol 

4 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Bite Me Dennis.  :) 

Trust me, you will be my age before you know it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

48 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

7 months old for me in November 68. 😳 Lol

Damn… now that you guys are talkin’ about it, I was -19 months old in November ‘68.

Sorry, Rob. 

I was 11 in '68.  About the time i started to drive Dads car/boat 61 caddy drove like a dream. Mom didnt care for me driving, little did she know at the time i was the good son. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DragCat said:

I'll just keep quiet and stop whining about temps in the 50's at the track Saturday. Had to wear my hoodie and a jacket. 

AHHHHH!!!!!!!! poor BOY SUUCH A SHAME  lol LOL LOL

• Haha 1