Monte carlo

Chris shipley

I was looking for something after my 64 chevelle turned into trash and i stumbled on a monte. It was way to clean underneath to pass up and the price was right.  It needed a bunch but was a driver from day one. I bought it and put tags on the next week and been driving it since and doing what it needs when it needs it.

• Like 5

Mom had a 70 cranberry Red, black interior 350 2bbl and I like being different. Everyone has a belly button, a Camaro and Chevelle lolol. I always like having the uncommon cars. Now the Monte is not as uncommon as it once was. 

• Like 4

I grew up in a pure Monte family. Though the years dad had 71,73,76,80& died with the 84. Mom had a 74 and 76. Mom and dad divorced and the new gf had a 78 & 83. Brother had 73 & 75. My first was a 77. Now I have the 70,71 & 88. My very first car was a 70 chevelle and I still have that too. And of course I always have had some sort of pickup. Still do. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Everyone has a belly button, a Camaro and Chevelle lolol. 

I don't have a Chevelle Tom, never did. 😁.     Had a '76 Malibu Classic for a few years, but it was a 4 door winter car.

My very first car was a '72 Monte. Got another '72 (Custom this time) when I was stationed in Mississippi while in the USAF. Stored it while I went overseas for a couple of years. Had a real nice '77 Monte as well when I got out, but sold them both eventually. Getting old and nostalgic led me back to another '72 Custom, which I'll never get rid of this time.

• Like 5

I may have mentioned this in the past, but I fell in love with the First Gens in high school. 

My Dad (a lifelong mechanic) would work on cars on the weekends out of our garage for extra coin to support the family. 

One of his regulars, an “old” lady (she was to me at the time) had a ‘70… black vinyl over red, 350 / 2 bbl.  Whenever she wanted/needed anything done to it, she’d drop it off on Friday afternoon when she left work (4-5 pm) and drop the keys in the mailbox. Dad worked his regular job til 10pm, getting home around 1020ish.  This gave me time to take her out after school and beat the s$&t out of it with a buddy or two in tow. 

It was a “one tire fire”, but I’ll never forget smoking that tire for what seemed like forever just mashing the loud pedal from a stop sign, even while just in Drive. 

I probably did this 3 or 4 times, but too long of a story to repeat about the one time I knew I was busted; Dad never said a word, just told me enough after the fact that he knew I had taken the car out and to not do it again. 

Anyway, that was my official introduction to the Monte and there began my fondness for these awesome cars.  Was always primarily a Chevy guy… I still love first Gen Camaros (my ‘67 was my first car), had my ‘95 6-speed Z/28 and currently own a ‘94 ZR-1 ‘Vette.  I also love Chevelles and Novas, but Monte’s are my fave, the best of both worlds - classy and sporty, while (until kinda recently) staying under the radar in the popularity category. 

I’ve always said I’d get my classic at some point when time, finances and life permitted.  That time arrived recently and I ain’t looked back.

The End.

• Like 5

I wanted to build a clean bracket car, started and still looking for a 71/72 429 Cougar. So I started looking for a plan B. I like long hood 70's cars, I can easily cruise down the boulevard no matter what's under the hood and just enjoy the ride without getting stupid 🤣 Always liked Monte's so plan B was a first gen SS, think they were starting to get more attention when I went on the hunt. The wish list started with triple black, after about a year that didn't pan out so revised my wish list/priorities and kept on hunting. I was a lurker first on the forum, sucking up knowledge like a sponge 🤣Actually bid against a member here on a Monte at Mecum then 🙃Ran across my triple green Monte on Ebay, in Cali, flew out, checked it out and bought it. Been smiling ever since, except the few times of scraped knuckles, snow balls, and waiting on parts. 

The forum and members here have made owning a first gen great! I laugh, when I bought my 73 Cougar, I told my buddy man I haven't turned a wrench in 20 years, he laughed and said don't get to excited, you weren't very good at it back then 🤣Thanks to all who have walked me through my travels 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Mom had a 70 cranberry Red, black interior 350 2bbl and I like being different. Everyone has a belly button, a Camaro and Chevelle lolol. I always like having the uncommon cars. Now the Monte is not as uncommon as it 

Yes indeed our cars are more popular now .and getting more noticed 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jft69z said:

I don't have a Chevelle Tom, never did. 😁.     Had a '76 Malibu Classic for a few years, but it was a 4 door winter car.

My very first car was a '72 Monte. Got another '72 (Custom this time) when I was stationed in Mississippi while in the USAF. Stored it while I went overseas for a couple of years. Had a real nice '77 Monte as well when I got out, but sold them both eventually. Getting old and nostalgic led me back to another '72 Custom, which I'll never get rid of this time.

Good deal.thanks for your service 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chris shipley said:

Good deal. thanks for your service 

Thanks, but not necessary Chris. It probably kept me from either prison or an early grave, :k.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sorry, long story, part of the Monte History story I am writing:

I was a senior in high school and report cards just came out for the second to last period. I did well enough that my dad “allowed me” to order a new car. It was my money that I had saved all my life delivering the Detroit News, cutting lawn, and washing windows. 

I wanted a 1971 Camaro with both the SS and RS package because the Z-28 with RS package cost way too much and insurance was also much higher.

Why a Monte Carlo?

Around this same time, my brother in-law, who worked for Chevrolet Engineering at the GM Tech center in Warren Michigan, brought home a 1971 Monte Carlo. He needed to pick up some engine parts and took me along for a ride.  

When the ride was over, I was convinced that this was the car for me. I was also happy that the cost was below the Camaro I wanted, and I could get AM/FM Stereo, the Camaro only came with AM/FM MONO!

In 1971 this was a big deal to a seventeen-year-old. In 1971 a working AM radio with a rear seat speaker OK but having a four-speaker stereo was so much better. I didn’t like 8 track tape players.

I went to order my Monte Carlo from Bill Fox Chevrolet, the dealer where my dad knew a salesman.

I placed the order carefully weighing the options I wanted vs. the money I had saved in the bank.

1- U79 AM/FM Stereo. $189.16

2- L48 350 with a 4-barrel carb. $37.50

3- ZJ7 Rally wheels $32.52

4- P-90 G70x15 WSW tires. $39.01

5- A90 the electric trunk opener $11.67

6- NK4 4 spoke sport steering wheel $15.80

7- M38 Automatic transmission $179.60

8- N40 Power steering $91.70

9- AK1 Deluxe seat belts & shoulder harness $15.30 

Options like a vinyl top and A/C put the price over what I had saved, so who needed them.

Picking the color was easy, “Tuxedo Black” RPO No.19-19, Acrylic Code: WA-848, DuPont Code: 926-96459 Lacquer.

I ordered the car, and it was built in Oshawa, On. Canada 27 Apr 1971. I waited what seemed like forever and then it arrived, May 12,1971.

I drove my dad’s 66 Oldsmobile 98 to Bill Fox Chevrolet and spotted my Monte Carlo in the side lot.

Running over to check out my new ride, I noticed a dent in the front of the hood below the hood emblem and then two dents on the roof. I was devastated and left for home since they were already closed.

I called my salesman the next day and discovered they couldn’t repair the car for two weeks and I couldn’t wait so I told him I would take it and bring it back for the repairs.

I took delivery Friday May 14th, 1971, after paying a total of $3,734.00

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Sorry, long story, part of the Monte History story I am writing:

I was a senior in high school and report cards just came out for the second to last period. I did well enough that my dad “allowed me” to order a new car. It was my money that I had saved all my life delivering the Detroit News, cutting lawn, and washing windows. 

I wanted a 1971 Camaro with both the SS and RS package because the Z-28 with RS package cost way too much and insurance was also much higher.

Why a Monte Carlo?

Around this same time, my brother in-law, who worked for Chevrolet Engineering at the GM Tech center in Warren Michigan, brought home a 1971 Monte Carlo. He needed to pick up some engine parts and took me along for a ride.  

When the ride was over, I was convinced that this was the car for me. I was also happy that the cost was below the Camaro I wanted, and I could get AM/FM Stereo, the Camaro only came with AM/FM MONO!

In 1971 this was a big deal to a seventeen-year-old. In 1971 a working AM radio with a rear seat speaker OK but having a four-speaker stereo was so much better. I didn’t like 8 track tape players.

I went to order my Monte Carlo from Bill Fox Chevrolet, the dealer where my dad knew a salesman.

I placed the order carefully weighing the options I wanted vs. the money I had saved in the bank.

1- U79 AM/FM Stereo. $189.16

2- L48 350 with a 4-barrel carb. $37.50

3- ZJ7 Rally wheels $32.52

4- P-90 G70x15 WSW tires. $39.01

5- A90 the electric trunk opener $11.67

6- NK4 4 spoke sport steering wheel $15.80

7- M38 Automatic transmission $179.60

8- N40 Power steering $91.70

9- AK1 Deluxe seat belts & shoulder harness $15.30 

Options like a vinyl top and A/C put the price over what I had saved, so who needed them.

Picking the color was easy, “Tuxedo Black” RPO No.19-19, Acrylic Code: WA-848, DuPont Code: 926-96459 Lacquer.

I ordered the car, and it was built in Oshawa, On. Canada 27 Apr 1971. I waited what seemed like forever and then it arrived, May 12,1971.

I drove my dad’s 66 Oldsmobile 98 to Bill Fox Chevrolet and spotted my Monte Carlo in the side lot.

Running over to check out my new ride, I noticed a dent in the front of the hood below the hood emblem and then two dents on the roof. I was devastated and left for home since they were already closed.

I called my salesman the next day and discovered they couldn’t repair the car for two weeks and I couldn’t wait so I told him I would take it and bring it back for the repairs.

I took delivery Friday May 14th, 1971, after paying a total of $3,734.00

Nice story. That's what it's all about

• Like 2

When I was in my teens, my aunt had one..... Just a base burgandy '70, but there are lots of good memories there. :)

When she decided to sell it in '81, (her "new" husband had a penny copper '75 Landau) I wanted it buy it like you wouldn't believe. But Dad said I was to young, couldn't afford the upkeep, and would spike his insurance rate. Wound up with a '71 Chevelle a few years later and drove that into the ground. But it was a good learning experience. Been driving G.M. "A" bodies ever since, but waited until after Dad passed to get Montelishi. :)

59 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

When I was in my teens, my aunt had one..... Just a base burgandy '70, but there are lots of good memories there. :)

When she decided to sell it in '81, (her "new" husband had a penny copper '75 Landau) I wanted it buy it like you wouldn't believe. But Dad said I was to young, couldn't afford the upkeep, and would spike his insurance rate. Wound up with a '71 Chevelle a few years later and drove that into the ground. But it was a good learning experience. Been driving G.M. "A" bodies ever since, but waited until after Dad passed to get Montelishi. :)

Nice story

• Like 3

Got side tracked on another post.

Bruce you are a much better man then I if you remembered all of that in your head, I can remember my first car was a 68 chevelle with a 396 and 4speed, all black with white and orange ghost flames on the hood.  I cant for the life of me remember what i paid for her. I also saved my butt off for her at 16. Couldn't sleep the entire night. Always was a GM guy, like other cars also but always had GMs!!

Nice job Bruce

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 1

june 1980 ,while looking out the bathroom window at my next door neighbor tom, he had the hood up on the 72 custom, (i am thinking all along that i wanted to buy the car}

he had sears put on there muzzler mufflers ,no tail pipes ,car sounded like a tank coming down the road,a while later i paid 843 dollars for the car, he could of sold it for 1200 to another guy, but wanted me to have the car, he worked for electromotive in michigan as an engineer and ordered the car selling his 1970 lt1 corvette 350 350hp 4 speed to start a family ,roger

• Like 4

My first new car was a 70 Monte (Desert Sand/Desert Sand).  It was early September, just before the 1971 model year was released, and I was just back from Southeast Asia and had Flight Pay, Hazardous Duty Pay and Combat Pay along with my regular pay and it was all TAX FREE burning a hole in my pocket.  I was home on leave in Jacksonville, FL upon my return and told my dad I wanted him to take me to his Chevy salesman so I could buy a Chevelle.  Being the end of the model year the dealer had no stock.  He checked with some other Chevy dealers for a Chevelle and none were found around Jacksonville.

When we returned to my parents house I looked in the local newspaper and saw an ad for a 1970 Monte Carlo.  I asked my dad "What is a Monte Carlo" and he said it is the first year of the Monte Carlo and you should never buy a car the first year because they haven't gotten the kinks out.  (Little did my dad know the kinks were already worked out and the 1970 Monte was the best year of Monte Carlo but that is just my opinion).  My dad went on to say "besides they don't have them in stock, that is just an ad to get you in there to sell you one of the cars they haven't been able to sell.

I called the dealership and they told me yes, they did have 5 Monte's in stock and I would have my choice of color as long as my choice was Desert Sand  because all 5 were identical.  We headed there and took the demo for a drive.  I asked my dad what he thought (My dad was a Chevy Caprice guy) and he said, "if you don't buy it I am going to because it rides every bit as nice as my Caprice"

When we got back all the paperwork was completed and I thought I was leaving with my Monte right then but the salesman said "No, it has to go through the dealer prep" I said to him, but I have a date tonight.  My dad said, "You can take my Caprice" but the salesman said "No, he can take the Demo Monte you just drove and return it when the dealer prep is done on yours".  All of the insurance coverage paperwork for the dealership was completed and we were on our way home.  My date that night was with who turned out to be "Crazy Dianne" and it was also our last date but that is another story.

After picking "Crazy Dianne" up and heading to a restaurant I came to a stop at a red light and we heard squealing tires of a car braking hard followed by the sound of the impact and the Dealers Demo Monte being forced forward.  Yep a Cadillac crashed into the back of that Demo (not demo derby) Monte.  Hard to believe but the owner of the dealership was sitting at the cross traffic light and witnessed his Monte get hit.... what better witness could I have had.

I had my first Monte until around 1978 when I sold it.  In 1999 I started my search for another Monte and finally found, in 2000, my current Monte.  My current Monte is a factory Two Tone Classic White roof over an Astro Blue body.  It is a low optioned car but it is a rare factory two tone, with the fiber optic light monitor system, front and rear bumper guards, vanity mirror, map light in the rear view mirror, windshield wash monitor, deluxe seat belts, Air Conditioning and courtesy lighting.  It had 36,000 miles on it when I bought it and I am now pushing 59,000 miles with most of those additional miles clocked going to club functions.

My dream Monte would be either a 70 or 71 402 4-speed.  

On another note, I still own my First Car.  When I was 15 back in 1966 I purchased and restored my 1929 Model A Ford Tudor Sedan.  I have owned it 56 years.

rob

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rsorg said:

june 1980 ,while looking out the bathroom window at my next door neighbor tom, he had the hood up on the 72 custom, (i am thinking all along that i wanted to buy the car}

he had sears put on there muzzler mufflers ,no tail pipes ,car sounded like a tank coming down the road,a while later i paid 843 dollars for the car, he could of sold it for 1200 to another guy, but wanted me to have the car, he worked for electromotive in michigan as an engineer and ordered the car selling his 1970 lt1 corvette 350 350hp 4 speed to start a family ,roger

Nice!!!!!

33 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

My first new car was a 70 Monte (Desert Sand/Desert Sand).  It was early September, just before the 1971 model year was released, and I was just back from Southeast Asia and had Flight Pay, Hazardous Duty Pay and Combat Pay along with my regular pay and it was all TAX FREE burning a hole in my pocket.  I was home on leave in Jacksonville, FL upon my return and told my dad I wanted him to take me to his Chevy salesman so I could buy a Chevelle.  Being the end of the model year the dealer had no stock.  He checked with some other Chevy dealers for a Chevelle and none were found around Jacksonville.

When we returned to my parents house I looked in the local newspaper and saw an ad for a 1970 Monte Carlo.  I asked my dad "What is a Monte Carlo" and he said it is the first year of the Monte Carlo and you should never buy a car the first year because they haven't gotten the kinks out.  (Little did my dad know the kinks were already worked out and the 1970 Monte was the best year of Monte Carlo but that is just my opinion).  My dad went on to say "besides they don't have them in stock, that is just an ad to get you in there to sell you one of the cars they haven't been able to sell.

I called the dealership and they told me yes, they did have 5 Monte's in stock and I would have my choice of color as long as my choice was Desert Sand  because all 5 were identical.  We headed there and took the demo for a drive.  I asked my dad what he thought (My dad was a Chevy Caprice guy) and he said, "if you don't buy it I am going to because it rides every bit as nice as my Caprice"

When we got back all the paperwork was completed and I thought I was leaving with my Monte right then but the salesman said "No, it has to go through the dealer prep" I said to him, but I have a date tonight.  My dad said, "You can take my Caprice" but the salesman said "No, he can take the Demo Monte you just drove and return it when the dealer prep is done on yours".  All of the insurance coverage paperwork for the dealership was completed and we were on our way home.  My date that night was with who turned out to be "Crazy Dianne" and it was also our last date but that is another story.

After picking "Crazy Dianne" up and heading to a restaurant I came to a stop at a red light and we heard squealing tires of a car braking hard followed by the sound of the impact and the Dealers Demo Monte being forced forward.  Yep a Cadillac crashed into the back of that Demo (not demo derby) Monte.  Hard to believe but the owner of the dealership was sitting at the cross traffic light and witnessed his Monte get hit.... what better witness could I have had.

I had my first Monte until around 1978 when I sold it.  In 1999 I started my search for another Monte and finally found, in 2000, my current Monte.  My current Monte is a factory Two Tone Classic White roof over an Astro Blue body.  It is a low optioned car but it is a rare factory two tone, with the fiber optic light monitor system, front and rear bumper guards, vanity mirror, map light in the rear view mirror, windshield wash monitor, deluxe seat belts, Air Conditioning and courtesy lighting.  It had 36,000 miles on it when I bought it and I am now pushing 59,000 miles with most of those additional miles clocked going to club functions.

My dream Monte would be either a 70 or 71 402 4-speed.  

On another note, I still own my First Car.  When I was 15 back in 1966 I purchased and restored my 1929 Model A Ford Tudor Sedan.  I have owned it 56 years.

rob

Nice story rob...Shame about the demo......

Great story Rob!

(Sorry about the crash but good thing it wasn't your new Monte!!!)

Back in the day , we had a 76 burgundy Monty 350 about 100 horse power. But man was it smooth. I just love the coke body design and really hated to let the car go but had bought a 77 ford pick up as well. 👎🏻 unfortunately one had to go and I’ve regretted that decision ever since.

anyway, later on I started seeing all these 60s 70s muscle cars around. Got an itch to have one of those.. so I tried out a 69 Camaro at a local muscle car dealer. Yuk is all I could say. Liked tri chevys but everyone had those except the 56. Finally came across a 71 first generation Monte Carlo  down in western Ky . Guy hated to part with it , we took a ride in the 71, wife says - if you don’t buy this car you don’t get one .’ Of course I agreed.. turned out it was was 454 SS . First time I drove it snapped our heads back. Couldn’t believe the

power compaired to the 76 we had once before. Bought it, brought it home , and will definitely keep it. A gentleman’s muscle car .. love the car, and the club .. Ron T…

• Like 5