On a serious note. Get tested.

Marks71

Back in September of 2022 I attended a big show out here in So Cal that I try to get to every year. Cruisin for a Cure. A charity for prostate cancer awareness. My wife normally comes with me but she couldn’t. Because they offer free PSA screenings she made me promise to get screened this time. A first for me. About a week later I got a call from a doctor saying my numbers were high and that I should see my doctor ASAP. A needle biopsy confirmed I had prostate cancer. Luckily we got it early. After a little research I chose the 28 day regiment of radiation treatment at City of Hope of which I completed in early 23. Because of the sayings “you only live once” and “you can’t take it with you” I dipped into my retirement, with my wife’s blessing, and started a 6 month search to find an exact replacement for my first car. The 71 first gen I have now. My PSA numbers now are barely detectable and I feel great. I have my wife, City of Hope and my love for classic cars for quite possibly saving my life. Unfortunately my wife isn’t buying into my reasoning that because  classic cars may have played a small part in saving my life, I should get some more.  
My point is that I know there are quite a few club members in my age group. If you haven’t had a PSA screening, get one. It could save by your life. By the way, I went to the 2023 show and thanked the people in the screening room for saving my life. IMG_1452.thumb.jpeg.833b915e0a09d0579ea6fde83741a998.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thank You! 1

Strange , my insurance co says it’s no longer necessary to get that test at my age. Of course they would say that. Thanks for reminding me, I get my doc to do the blood test anyway. Glad you found it soon enough.. Ron…

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, Searsman said:

Strange , my insurance co says it’s no longer necessary to get that test at my age. Of course they would say that. Thanks for reminding me, I get my doc to do the blood test anyway. Glad you found it soon enough.. Ron…

WOW Ron, I think you and I are within a year or two of each other or I may be several years older than you, and my PCP doctor orders one every year.  If he doesn't my urologist orders it.  

rob

• Like 1

All the men in the Club should have a PSA test with their yearly physical exam. It’s a simple blood test. If you have an Aflac cancer insurance policy, you can forward the PSA test results to them and they will mail you a check for $75.00. If you’re not going for a yearly physical exam and PSA, it’s time to get one now. The life you save will be your own. 

• Like 3

Most people will say get your psa checked once a year but after a certain age I would strongly suggest that you get it checked every 6 months. My psa went from normal to 65 in one 6 month period. That is very high. As with any cancer, the sooner it is detected, the better.

My Doctor wants the PSA under 3.0…

He put me on low dosage Fenasteride about 18 years ago when it was 6.7 …  I'm tested every year and the numbers are always below or about 1.5 … No side effects and no cancer.  

I avoid highly acidic fruit like Grapefruit and Pineapple… Getting the PSA checked every 6 months or annually is vital.  At 82, I still get a colonoscopy every four years. 

I plan to send my Monte Carlo to the junk yard first, but she is still a smooth ride and banging on all 8….  

Get tested !! You deserve it !! 

On 11/27/2023 at 7:52 PM, Rob Peters said:

WOW Ron, I think you and I are within a year or two of each other or I may be several years older than you, and my PCP doctor orders one every year.  If he doesn't my urologist orders it.  

rob

Good that you get tested Rob, not sure if it’s geographical, insurance, or doctor preferences here. But I’ll find out soon . My blood work is due before first of the year.. I’ll specifically ask for the test. 

20 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Good that you get tested Rob, not sure if it’s geographical, insurance, or doctor preferences here. But I’ll find out soon . My blood work is due before first of the year.. I’ll specifically ask for the test. 

I find it funny how my urologist will order the PSA test for the prostate but also do the other test to check if my prostate is enlarged.  The funny part is it seems he is as uncomfortable with that test as I am the way he tries to make small talk as he gloves up....  Nuf-said about that😧

rob 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I find it funny how my urologist will order the PSA test for the prostate but also do the other test to check if my prostate is enlarged.  The funny part is it seems he is as uncomfortable with that test as I am the way he tries to make small talk as he gloves up....  Nuf-said about that😧

rob 

Sorry I have to laugh Rob I had a female this year and after she did the internal exam I asked her was it good for you too? 🤣 we both laughed she is pretty cool.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Had that yearly blood test I spoke of earlier. The theory behind no routine test from insurance is that they say after a certain age?, you would pass away by something else before prostrate cancer. Can’t say I agree with that one. It’s all about the money evidently.. anyway, I asked for psa to be included and test turned out great. 1.1….

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Boy do I hear that Joe! 😂

I think I have 5 different appointments in the next 30 days..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

All I've done since I retired is go to different doctors...

All of those years of work abuse on your body takes a toll.... The way I pictured you at your job was doing it from a recliner there at the plant

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

All of those years of work abuse on your body takes a toll.... The way I pictured you at your job was doing it from a recliner there at the plant

rob

No doubt that contributed to the disc issues in my neck, and the resulting nerve issues on my entire left side. Those chairs sucked to sleep in, lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Searsman said:

Had that yearly blood test I spoke of earlier. The theory behind no routine test from insurance is that they say after a certain age?, you would pass away by something else before prostrate cancer. Can’t say I agree with that one. It’s all about the money evidently.. anyway, I asked for psa to be included and test turned out great. 1.1….

Congratulations on those numbers Ron. I’m with you on that age thing. Hope the other tests turned out well also.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, Marks71 said:

Congratulations on those numbers Ron. I’m with you on that age thing. Hope the other tests turned out well also.

Yal, they good , thanks 😊 mark, all except cholesterol , which has always been too high. Abnormal, just like me , Ha!. But I’m not giving up my 🍺. No way!!!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

Speaking of testing

IMG_5186.jpeg

Yikes! I have that coming up again in a couple of weeks. Good luck! I hope all goes well.

• Like 1