Experiences with 402

Peter S

IMG_5187.thumb.jpeg.88a0f1d89a44da43e532a53f7e293b15.jpegNew to the club.  Thinking about buying another Monte, this time with a 402.  Love to hear any insights and experiences good and bad regarding this drivetrain. 
thanks

• Like 7

402 Monte's are very desirable and exciting to drive.  Go for it.  BTW I see this is your first post.  Welcome to the boards.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a dues paying member of the club.  Also, we love a lot of pictures so you are off to a good start.

rob

• Like 4

I’m guessing 402, th400 and 12 bolt. 402 is just a bored 396. Nobody complains about that. Good engine as long as it was taken care of. Of course that’s with anything. Welcome to the group by the way. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the club Pete!!!   Agreed to what was said as long as the POs took care of it, doesn't matter what it is. However the 402 are very nice to have.  She looks Great!!!

• Like 3

Welcome Pete! Next to a true SS the 402 cars are the next desirable ones. They basically could be optioned like an SS  only with less cubes. We have 2 71 402s in our stables an auto and a factory 4speed.  Good luck on your decision. 

• Like 2

If that's the one in the picture, Great find!  Is that pearl white on it ? . Very classy with the rallyes on it.  I'm going BBC (427) myself in mine , Going to be a "Custom " Clone. It all started out as a Dark green 2bbl 350/turbo 350 , 2:73 posi traction 10 bolt car, the motor was a '86 replacement 350. After much needed restoration, turns into this with a 420 hp 350/2004r, 2:73 posi traction 10 bolt , and now to a 427/turbo 400 ,3:73 posi traction. Yes, the 402 was a much needed upgrade due to the reduced HP back in the early 70's.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome! This is a great group here.

I’ve only had 350 or 454 Montes (currently have one of each).

• Like 1

Welcome Peter. What’s not to like?  Big block power with a great vehicle design and ride. A great drivetrain, very desirable too. We hope you like what you see here and become a full dues paying member. The best place to be for First Generation Monte Carlo technical information, camaraderie, multiple annual Club Meets, and fun. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments all.  Bought this white one about 12 years ago. Previous (2nd owner) had the original 350 built to a 383 Stroker.  Perfect ‘20 footer’ paint job. Would love to strip it someday, but don’t see myself taking it back to the original burnt orange. Lots of time to contemplate 😎

• Like 3

:W to the site, a lot of people love the 402 good and dependable as most of chevys are.  Mine is a 20 footer too but that's ok it's a driver not a daily driver but I do drive almost everywhere. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the club and forums, Peter! My first new car out of college was a '70 Monte 402/TH400 and I loved it!  It ran great in stock form but even better after a cam, carb and less restrictive exhaust. Many years later, I acquired my current '70 402/4-speed and that's a different experience all together!  They're hard to find but if you can get your hands on a factory 402/4-speed, I'd say go for it! Mine was highly modified before I found it but it would still be a blast in stock form.  I also owned a stock '70 SS454 for eight years and it was a great cruiser but my 402/4-speed was quicker and more fun to drive. Good luck in your search!

• Thank You! 1

In 1970 I ordered a Chevelle SS 396 (actually a 402) with the Turbo 400 and 3.31 posi. It was a great car with zero issues.

• Like 1

The 396 was bored .030 in late 1969 to improve emissions. The  SS 396 Chevelle  designation was continued because of the popularity of that model. In 1970 Chevrolet increased the stroke on the 427 engines and they became the 454.

• Like 3

Never realized that the 396 and 402 were so related. My older brother had a 66 chevelle 396. First ride in it when I was around 9 scared the crap out of me. 

• Like 4