How many dark green 1971 SS were built?

Green71SS

Hi all.

I have not been a regular here but hope to be as time alows. I will be picking up a 1971 SS Monte from my stepfather who originally bought it new after coming home from Vietnam. He had always said that it would be mine and I didn't pressure him to take. About two years ago he said come get it and I restrained myself from picking it up until I finished my Master's Degree, because I couldn't handle another distraction at the time. Wrenching on the Monte would be much more enjoyable then writing papers.

Well, graduation is May 1st so I plan to pick up the car over Memorial Day weekend. It has been sitting in the same spot except for memorial weekend two years ago when we cleaned 27 years of dust and bird droppings off of it. Unfortunatley the engine is locked up from sitting. It was parked in an open garage stall in 1981. I will post pictures here soon. It is the dark green color and I haven't looked for the build sheet yet.

My main question right now is how many dark green SS cars were built. I see a lot of other colors but not the dark green. I originaaly though it was pretty popular at the time.

Thanks,

Tom

I dont know that anyone will have that info. I do know that green was a very popular color. Look on the body tag and see where it was built if it is Flint I will be suprised if you find a build sheet. Get some pics of it they love pics here. Is the car located in Ohio. Good luck and congrats on the degree.

I'll check the tag as soon as I can, thanks. It is in Illinois where I grew up. Mom parked her car next to it everyday when I was little. I see you're in Dayton also. Are there many first gen Montes around? I've only been here for 5 years.

I do not believe there is any true way of knowing how many of a particular color were built........

You should try & make it to this years Eastern Meet in Norwalk/Sandusky Ohio in June smile - looking forward to seeing pics of your "new" Monte! And early Congrats on getting that degree!

THanks for the welcome guys! I am in Clayton, Oh and work at Sinclair College as an Automotive Instructor. The eastern Meet looks like a good trip to make. I won't likely have the car running, but sounds like a good bike trip. I'll dig up the pics that I took the day we rolled her out for the first bath in 26 years.

Welcome! That car sounds great! 71 is the best year of the three and a 71 SS with there only being 1919 made. Can't wait to see some pictures. So you will be the second owner, that's so cool to know the history of your car.

Bruce

Tom,

As the others have said, I can't wait to see the pictures. Also, on the Eastern Meet. It would be great to meet you and you already realize that it is not required to have a car at one of the meets. I think most of the meets have had people in attendence without their cars and sometimes I think they have more fun than those of us with our cars there because they aren't spending hours on end cleaning and polishing them but they do get a chance to talk to more of the members.

Hope to see you at the Meet and good luck with the SS.

Rob

Cant help you at all with your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the club!

I cant wait to see pics as well, and as youll soon find out,the Green guys here always take a little "Friendly harassment!"

You have the holy grail of Monte's there cool And its green!!!

Yea, I don't think there are any breakdowns for color...I thought mine was rare because it didn't have a vinyl top. No figures for that , either.

Green was the trendy color in the early 70's, and vinyl tops were the rage. It was the same inside your house with green shag carpets and naugahyde sofas. I had a friend that couldn't play after school until he had raked the shag carpet in the house. LOL

Enjoy your Monte. It is a shining example of what was popular THEN.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the Masters and becoming a Monte SS owner. We are looking forward to seeing the pics.

For 1970:

Total Monte Carlo Production, 145,976.

Vinyl Roof, 118,387.

I haven't seen any breakdown for '71 or '72.

Dan

Welcome to the forum. Before you give up on the motor make sure that something else is not locked up like the water pump, alternator. If it is the motor you could try to pour some tranny fluid in the cylinders and let it soak in for a week and try to break it free by hand. Tranny fluid works great in soaking through rust. I have freed up several motors that way

Tom, welcome to the site. Maybe try Kroil made by Kano Labs in Nashville. It's a creeping lubricant and gets the job done. Our Maint. Mgr. at the shop swears by it. We "green" guys get the raz around here but that's ok. Good luck with the project. Nice to see another Central Ohio Monte. We are only about an hour apart (north edge of Columbus). I'll throw out a shout if I attend any shows in the Dayton area.

Welcome to the forum...great group here... Well. it's 1 of only 1919 SS's and who knows how many are left...there can't be too many green ones.....Mine's black and Capri's is black so that's 1917 remaining.....lol...

Steve

Mine was originally silver, now red - so that leaves 1916 to check - haha