What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Took dash all apart and changed all light bulbs. had three out but after all the work to get to them decided to change them all as they are the originals.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 71 and I replaced the Hood spear with a OEM that looks almost new I bought on E Bay. Also put 15x8 Rallies on the rear I had gotten off E bay I will do the front this week. They are OEM also. Just did an engine upgrade 2 weeks ago. Aluminum intake ,mild cam , lifters,pushrods, and rocker arms, 600 Holley, MSD HEI distributor, and of course a plug and plug wire upgrade.

Was glad I did it I found one pushrod starting to flake off at the top where it was against the rocker arm. Had a tick in the engine a few times when I bought her but it had went away.

I totally gutted the interior,,dash out steering wheel heater box. headliner...and scraped all of that wonderful paper (that turned to dust as soon as you scrape it..cough cough even with a respirator) off of the ceiling...last week took the entire front end off...and used my new sandblaster on a few parts to see how it works...then did some math to see how far in I am moving the rear frame

My wife & I took the SS on a day trip. We left home and headed toward the Mississippi River. We love the bluffs & valleys along the river as well as the small river towns. She snapped a few photos of the event. A great day, we logged about 225 miles, averaged 14.5 mpg, had no schedule or destination or car issues. The day started out a bit hazy but very nice.

Enjoy the photos...it really happened!

lol

A scenic overlook. Mississippi river valley in background. Office for the day in front.

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

A couple pssenger side views between Balltown Ia and Guttenberg Ia

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

Another scenic overlook outside Guttenberg Ia

IMG_3655.jpg

Crossing the Mississippi back into WI @ Prairie du Chein

IMG_3663.jpg

Scott

nice views...ahh

I'll get there one day..hopefully next year..going for a drive that is

started installing my Gardner exhaust system and didn't buy the rear tailpipe hangers, bought some repops off ebay....mistake!!!! cry

so now I need to order them, did drive the '71 to the parts store with my grandson shifter

Drove the car down to a big show this weekend with a buddy and my son. Once again, it proved to be a real show stopper. However, my son put a scratch in it when he was helping put the hood up. mad It'll get taken care of.

Funny coincidence; the only other FGMC there out of over 350 cars happened to pull in at the same time from the opposite direction and parked right behind me. It was also black.

After seeing some of the pictures others have posted I thought I would go pull my M/C out and take a ride. Last time it was out was June of last year 17 months ago. She started up and ran like I had driven her yesterday.

P1010284.jpg

Here she is sitting under the trees in the driveway.

Dropped my car off at my parents to go into storage. Then today picked up one of those Chinese triple plated rear bumpers that Tamraz had on with free shipping and my ragjoint to finish my jeep steering box swap. Guess I'm not doing that stuff till next year.

Thanks Larry. It always surprises me when it just starts right up after sitting so long. The battery is the one that's been in it since I bought it in 2006. Who knows how old it is but it must be a good one.

Not Monte related, but I did pull the door panels for the El Camino out of the box and cut in for the door handle and the arm rest. We are still trying to get an ideal on where the window switches should go. As for the Monte it will get the detail spray wax treatment plus go up in the air to check the sending unit.

Pulled out the back seats and disassembled as the new seat covers will be here on Monday. No broken springs and in good shape. Removed the buttons from the old cover and steel brushed a few rusty spots. Went and got a nice set of hog ring pliers and rings...........come on Monday!

Car show last weekend, pretty small (under 50) but I took first and was super stoked. First time I ever took the main prize. Detailed my brothers car from 7 PM to 3 AM and back up at 7 AM to detail my car for the show at 9. DSCN4511_zpsf79ec701.jpg

But today I decided to reseal the transmission, New cap and rotor, for HEI dizzy, new wires and plugs, and the funny thing is, valve cover gaskets are 15 when new chrome valve covers AND gaskets are 21.99 on JEGS WITH free shipping. Looks pretty nice IMO. I know its dirty and unorganized, but I havent wanted to clean it up since I have a 350 block sitting on a stand awaiting a 383 rotating assembly and deciding which top end I want to do.

IMG_20131019_171838_zps167532e9.jpg

I never win even when the competition is a joke. Participant judging yesterday yielded me nothing. A guy with a beautiful 73 Camaro and I were clearly the frontrunners in our class, but somehow we got beat out by a Saturn Skye and a '95 Mustang with ugly wheels. Don't ask.

IMAG0535_zpsb45fd588.jpg