Z20 Confirmation!!!

Its Just Me

For those who don't know my story, I bought a very nice 71 Monte Carlo with a 454 in it this last summer.

MC_SS_006.jpgMC_SS_002.jpg

I was told it was an SS and it had all the badging. It also had a lot of the tell tale signs of an SS, such as boxed control arms, large front sway bar, Th400, 12 bolt but was missing the load leveling system, except for the valve on the upper control arm. The car had undergone a restoration at some point and could have been cloned. It came with no documentation but I had a strong hunch it was genuine, but w/o the build sheet, who knows.

So tonight I decided to spend a little more time looking for my build sheet. I had already been in and around the dash and under the drivers seat w/no luck, so I started with the rear seat. I didn't really have much optimism, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I pulled out the bottom section, did a quick scan, didn't see anything so I went to the seat back. This is where I found the build sheet for my Chevelle, so I had it in my head that this is where it would be. Again, no luck.

Disappointed but not really suprised, I began putting things back together. In went the seat back. Then I grabbed the seat bottom and gave it a little better going over and there it was...tucked in very tightly in the very corner of the left hand side, up under the seat cover and between the springs...

DSCF2125.jpg

The photo shows it after I pulled it down to see it better. It was in pretty tough shape. It looked like half of it was torn off and the other half was folded over and pinned between the cushion and the spring, but the part that I could read, clearly said "454 cid 4bbl, std dual exhaust, and G70x15 W/Stripe...Oh happy day...

DSCF2120.jpg

I decided I had to try to remove the remaining portion of the build sheet to see what other secrets it may hold. So I cut the hog rings from that corner of the seat and very carefully pulled back the seat cover, the cushion and the springs and was able to remove what was left of the sheet. It was bonded to the seat springs at each end and I had no choice but to tear it during removal. I was able to remove all that was there, just in a few pieces.

DSCF2133.jpg

The upper left hand portion shows the standard 1971 Monte Carlo ID# 138571B and left of that it has the last 4 digits (1115) of my VIN. So I know it's the right sheet for my car....

Then the big score.....the ultimate confirmation....Z20 MONTE CARLO SS!!!

DSCF2136.jpg

So the Gods were smiling on me tonight...only half the build sheet, but the half with all the good stuff!!!

I see build code V30 F&R BMPR GARD...does this mean that it had the actual bumper guards or is this just the code for the SS rubber bumper pad? My car currently has neither, as the bumper was replaced, but I would like to get the correct rear guards if that's what it had. The front guards are still on the car.

Tomorrow I will pull the front seat backs off, as MCFan did, hoping to find a better or more complete sheet. But even if I don't, I can rest assured that my car is a genuine, one of 1919 produced, SS454.

Scott

• Like 1

Scott...what a great find! You now have confirmation of it being a Z20 and there's still hope for even a better build sheet. If you don't find another one in the more obvious places, there may be one under the headliner. It really doesn't matter as much now though as you've already confirmed it. smile I love happy endings! If your car came with the bumper guard option, they would have only been on the front bumper. Your rear bumper would have originally had the rubber bumper strip. There's another rubber bumper strip on Ebay right now for $495 and the seller may take a little less. Your car is in beautiful shape so it is worth putting the SS specific pieces back on if you can swing it I.M.O

You must be one happy Monte owner tonight and I'm very happy for you. smile

The Canadian built SS's didn't have build sheets but we are fortunate to have a documentation package available to us from GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services which I gladly paid the $75 to get. It has all the options info etc etc.

Anyway....congrats! Some day, we'll get a photo of our SS's side by side.

Congrats Scott, to add to your search if you are still on a mission build sheets have been found......

on top of glovebox taped to it under dash pad...

in the headliner...

under the carpet on drivers side....

under the console at the rear....

behind doorpanel on either front door...

Classic #1 spot under back seat....

under front seat ...

in bucket seat back......

on top of the gas tank....

Darren.

Congratulations, Scott!! I'm SO happy for you!! Nothing like a VIN-matching Build Sheet to lift your spirits and quell any doubts! I hope you find one or more others so you can complete the puzzle.

Don't I see on the corner of that build sheet LS6/L89 with M22? wink

Congrats on the confirmation. Nice lookin ride!

If the car was ordered with the V30 front & rear bumper guards, it would've deleted the rear bumper pad.

I would put the pad on the car and keep the front guards.

I see you are in Wisconsin. So I am guessing your car was built in Van Nuys. On my 70 Van Nuys built SS454 I found one on top of gas tank (best shape) 1 under carpet and one under sound deadener under carpet. I am sure you'll find another.

But either way, as long as the last six stamped on engine (either on machined pad behind alternator or on the vertical machined tab above oil filter) matches your vin tag your good as gold regardless.

Nice find

Dan

Hey, Scott, I forgot to mention earlier that the first (partial) Build Sheet found by a prior owner of my '70 4-speed came from the rear seat. The nearly complete one I just found was behind the back of the passenger bucket seat. So, at least in this case, multiple Build Sheets were available/used in building both the front and rear seats.

It literally only takes five minutes to remove the plastic backs from either of your bucket seats to see if another Build Sheet is in there. Lay the seat back forward and remove the three sheet metal screws at the bottom edge of the back panel. Use a putty knife to press inward under either side of the release button frame and pop the release button out. Then remove the two sheet metal screws now exposed from under the release button and slide the rear panel up and off the upper frame flanges. Very easy and straightforward ...

Happy hunting and good luck!

The way I understood that it worked with the rear bumper strip is that the bumper strip cancelled out the rear bumper guards. So if a Z20 was ordered with bumper guards, the bumper guards only came on the front and the rear bumper had the SS rubber strip. Then, a partial credit was issued for the bumper guard option.

Congratulations on your find! 2beers

Inside the rear seat should be added to the list of places to look. I checked everywhere and gave up all hope of finding mine. When I took the cover off the rear seat to replace it, I found the sheet under the foam. Aside from being in 3 pieces, it's in excellent condition.

I think some of the sheets that guys say were stuffed up into the springs were actually placed on top of the springs before the burlap was put in place.

397038546.jpg

397038587.jpg

Dan

The way I understood that it worked with the rear bumper strip is that the bumper strip cancelled out the rear bumper guards. So if a Z20 was ordered with bumper guards, the bumper guards only came on the front and the rear bumper had the SS rubber strip. Then, a partial credit was issued for the bumper guard option.

2beers