What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Cleaned and repainted brake drums, and swapped out the carbon and filter in the vapor canister. I need another box of the carbon though. Guy at the auto zone looked at me like I was nuts!

They had the filter though! Even the pet stores don't carry carbon anymore, only pre filled bags. I found I small box at Walmart but wasn't enough.

Then I had Anthony retorque the lugs :lol:

post-222-0-38112000-1431733788_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday was my Monte Carlo's 44th birthday. Forgot to mention it here and I didn't even drive it, poor weather. At least it's all back together and running great.

Need to straighten the steering wheel, it's off a bit going down the road even though the marks are lined up.

MAY71A

Cleaned and repainted brake drums, and swapped out the carbon and filter in the vapor canister. I need another box of the carbon though. Guy at the auto zone looked at me like I was nuts!

They had the filter though! Even the pet stores don't carry carbon anymore, only pre filled bags. I found I small box at Walmart but wasn't enough.

Then I had Anthony retorque the lugs :lol:

Aren't supervisors supposed to wear white hardhats oat worksites??? It looks great Tony!

rob

Now that most of the engine compartment area is mostly complete I will be concentrating on some cleaning of the car to remove some of the long winter garage funk.

Today I had some honey-do things to do with Patsy so I didn't make it up to the garage till nearly dark so I was only able to get half the hood clay-bared before it was too dark to see what I was doing.  Since the grandkids will be over this weekend I won't get back up to the storage garage until next week sometime.

Rob

A friend of mine called me about a show not far from me and I had a few hours to kill before a baseball game. Got there, it was a Buick Olds Pontiac Caddy show, I pulled in out front, read the sign, and got kind of shoo'd away by a person at the gate. 

How dare I show up in a Chevy??? 

So, drove the kids to a playground and let them run around. 

The nerve of some people, trying to upstage all the other GM cars :lol:

Tony don't feel bad, tomorrow there is an all Vette show at the Chevy dealer across the street from me no other model's allowed which seems odd since there ain't that many Vettes in the area. Not much done on the Monte did install need lights in the El Camino which been waiting for since Oct-Nov to come in don't need headlights with the brightness of the halo's. Pulled the Nomad out to bleed the brakes on it (thinking of running over tomorrow to look at Vette's). Notice the elec fan on the Nomad doesn't kick on and the master cylinder leaks brake fluid around the lid.

After 10 years of having the Monte on the road, and about 5 years of having the part I needed in the garage, I finally got the parking brake working! The cable was frozen inside where it goes through the floorpan within the first section. Had to cut it out of the car, and what a fun time it was wrestling the new one into place. Between pushing it up into the floor, and down in the frame rail,twisting and prying and bending, a phone call to Sam, and more cursing and scraped knuckles, pinched fingertips,and may have pinched a nerve in my neck :lol: I got it in and functional!

My box of parts I've purchased along the way with intentions of installing is getting smaller! :yay:

It was a beautiful day here yesterday so I took my youngest son Alex for ice cream an hour away up in cottage country. I had a coffee, he had an ice cream and we watched the boats go through the locks for a bit. I also found me a full tank of non ethanol and met a guy with a Canadian built silver 70 who now knows about this great club.  :grin:  It was a good day. I cleaned the bugs off when I arrived home and put her away clean. The air con isn't blowing very cold so that is something I need to address before the EM.

We got the brakes on the 72 bleed today. hopefully by the end of the month if not the start of June the body work will be done and in expoy primer and sealer. Got a few different power plants in the works one for a 427 tall deck motor or a 396 with 13.5:1 more on which way we go by July.

Installed new valve springs, Viton seals,and titanium retainers due to the change from solid roller to hydraulic roller lifters.

I put a second coat of POR 15 on underside of floor pan at about 4:30 this morning.  I hope it will be dry enough in a little while for me to finish up the Muncie installation.

Replaced the spindles and steering arms. Repacked the wheel bearings. That should be my last project until after the eastern meet..... unless something breaks

I had recently removed my old trunk seal.  I did not have any weather strip adheasive so I just test fitted it to cut it to the proper length and to allo it to "take a set" while in place with the trunk closed.  Today, I removed the trunk seal, clean the channel and glue it into place.  It really looks so much better now.

I also had an opportunity to clean and claybar the entire car to remove any debris from half of last cruise season and the long winter under its car cover so now she is nice and smooth and as shiny as a 17 year old paint job can be.  I know everyone loves to snap reflection pictures from the side of their dark colored car, with a light colored car that is very difficult but while cleaning it up with the clay bar I was able to shoot a selfie of myself reflecting in the side of the car.  

After I cleaned up the better part of the car (I still have to do the interior, clean out the trunk and from my work in the engine compartment on the manifolds, heat shields etc, etc.  there is some oily areas I need to touch up and then she will be ready for Carlisle.

I did get to take her for about a 20 minute spin tonight before putting her back to bed.  Check out my selfie reflection in the thumbnail

Rob

IMG_20150524_200158_254 (2).jpg

Awesome....looks great Rob. :) I'm not in the know when it comes to using a clay bar. I've heard mixed reviews. Is it something I should educate myself on? Is it better than machine buffing?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

I have avoided the clay bar because I thought it was a lot of work but it is not bad at all  I don't think it is near as aggressive on the paint as a machine buffer.  The key is following the rules and doing a very small section at a time.  It really does a nice job and removes any surface junk on the paint.  Just read up on it.  I had my car done with a clay bar a few years back at a body shop and thought it was a difficult process and had never tried it myself.  Last year I saw Bob W. using it in Carlisle and he had given me some tips on how to do it..    

I figured if Bob can do it I can too and I was right.  I think it took me about two hours to do my entire car ..........one hour of that was the hood alone if you know what I mean.

Rob