What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

16 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

You should have known better than be out raking and cleaning up leaves.  Aren't there any neighborhood kids looking for a few extra bucks?

rob

Yea I know better but have been feeling better so trying to do a little more. No neighborhood kids around me thats one reason I like it here just us old folks 😅

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dtret said:

Looks great Aaron. I see you decided to pull the hood. Probably a good call. Very clean. 

Overall it made it easier to see what we were doing. I marked the location of the bolts so it isn’t difficult to line up later.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Overall it made it easier to see what we were doing. I marked the location of the bolts so it isn’t difficult to line up later.

Took 3 of us to get my hood back on, only 2 to take it off 🤣 But yes made everything easier 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DragCat said:

Took 3 of us to get my hood back on, only 2 to take it off 🤣 But yes made everything easier 

Yeah, I think there will be 3 or 4 of us to put it back on.

• Like 3

The 71 was missing the load leveler compressor brackets when I got the car, but thanks to DPJ fabrication in Missouri I now have and have installed the correct compressor brackets.. DPJ fabricator is owned by one of our FGMCCs members “ Dan Janes “.. Aka,  “ overdrive”.. on the club site…  Thanks Dan for your commitment to the FGMCC and first gen Monte Carlo’s .. Ron…IMG_2002.thumb.jpeg.7059f8bed44387725b4f1119d45a5da2.jpegIMG_2001.thumb.jpeg.966d6fd988effc6536de50ad856356f9.jpeg

• Like 10

Besides having done the leveling compressor brackets , winter projects for the 71 are bucket seats redone and minor paint repairs with correct paint mixture , spray gun and clear coat .. seats already out waiting on upholstery place to call.. plus purchasing a part from mega parts post ‘ Jared’ to bring 454 into proper detail… IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.ccf5dd1bbacede8912522e263a5d96b3.jpegIMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.4c1a368c055dce1bbf56ad83ba263a4b.jpegmore lights added in car port so I can see clearly to work on this bad boy .. 71 says “ well, can you see me now !”IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.a583eb743e352ff909f226ba2fa1dfe1.jpeg

• Like 6

Reinstalled the clutch today I know I’ll get different opinions on this, but I reused the old pressure plate and disc. You may notice I used two guide pins to support the pressure plate instead of trying to hold it up and put the bolts in.

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0261.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Good luck with the clutch and pressure plate, I personally have never liked the idea of reinstalling used parts that wear . Kinda like doing a brake job and  reusing the old pads , while I'm there, everything goes back new, regardless of how much wear may be visible. 

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

15 hours ago, SPLATT71MC said:

Disc brake conversion started.

403134195_10160233011954006_8949312930575627199_n.jpg

403148418_10160233011899006_8466862831625544794_n.jpg

Such a clean install.  Great pictures.  Notice the large coil spring in missing.  Is the shock spring replacing the coil?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

Good luck with the clutch and pressure plate, I personally have never liked the idea of reinstalling used parts that wear . Kinda like doing a brake job and  reusing the old pads , while I'm there, everything goes back new, regardless of how much wear may be visible. 

I understand your point and that of others in this forum and it is well taken. I’ve worked a number of years at Pontiac and Chevrolet dealerships and seen warranty work come through where clutch had to be removed and reinstalled when there was a warranty problem GM would always pay to fix the problem, but would never pay to put in a new clutch simply because it had to be removed to fix the problem. If I get burned, I get burned. I personally many years ago when I worked on these cars reinstalled clutches in far worse shape than this with acceptable results again roll the dice and see what happens. If it doesn’t work I’m retired I can do it again. I’ve got nowhere to go and all day to get there.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John S said:

......... I’m retired I can do it again. I’ve got nowhere to go and all day to get there.

See, you get it...every day is Saturday!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3