Topic suggestion

14 minutes ago, 714024SPEED said:

Aww come on you got it almost apart. Your half way there ,couple of weeks of work she'll be good as new. That's how it works on T.V.

Ya. Unlimited budget, 500 people working behind the scenes and make a phone call and get whatever you want. I’ve noticed that they never have shipping problems or backorders and everything always goes like clockwork. Not in my world. Lol. 

• Like 3

Dennis, this is a very interesting car with it's options.

It has the relatively rare bucket seat option without a center console. And the washer fluid monitor.

Although it's a just about a complete SS with original engine and suspension lift system, it's pretty rough.

Have you inspected the frame yet?

I'd say the cost to restore this car will exceed it's value-probably by a lot. There is a point of no return for most cars-this isn't a 1965 Z16 Chevelle. If it was my car, and I had plenty money to burn, I'd probably not do the restoration. If I wanted an SS fixer-upper, I'd find one in better condition, they do pop up once in a while.

• Like 1

It's not in that bad of shape. Have seen and fixed MUCH worse. I do understand if some cannot do some of the work themselves. No disrespect to anyone. That is where things get expensive. 

• Like 1

No disrespect taken and no one should take it that way. Everyone has certain skills. But the end has to justify the time and expense. Worse case scenario is that I use it as a learning experience. If I trash it more than it already is, o well. Sell the parts and move on. But at the least I will have learned something along the way so it’s not all bad. Time will tell. 

• Like 3

Welcome to my dilemma. I probably can’t/won’t fix it. (But I may try). If A body person bought it, they would already know what they were in for and it wouldn’t be a major deal for them. A few bucks for parts and their labor. An average person like me. That’s another story. We all add up the dollars spent on our cars, or at least have a good idea,  it when it comes to our personal labor hours we generally have no idea. And don’t want to know, for that reason. My problem is I really enjoy saving things. It’s gratifying. The old saying “ ones man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. I’ve always wanted a 70 SS. I don’t think I could have found a more original car with the amount of options this car has. But it has a ton of issues, and I’m sure that I have not found them all. So I’m still up in the air. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

She deserves a resto and you are the one to do it Dennis! So far, what do you feel she needs in metalwork? 

Most of the trunk floor, the trunk tail lip where the bumper bolts, most of the floor board , the window channel drivers side ( ain’t poked around the passenger side yet, part of the passenger rocker , inner quarter panel fillers , bottom of doors and obviously the lower fender. Haven’t pulled the glass yet so don’t know about the rest of the channels. Then we get to the dents. Both quarters, drivers rocker, drivers fender. Need I say more. Most can probably be accomplished by patching. I haven’t looked at the cowl or the frame yet. I haven’t pulled the body bolts. This could balloon from a marshmallow snowman to the stay puffed marshmallow man( ghostbusters). But I’ll continue the tear down and I’m sure I’ll add to the list. Plus I’m sure I forgot something. Lol. You asked. 

• Like 3

That's all? Lol. Replaced all that and a little more on the 71 402 4 speed.  It is alot but obviously can be done IF you want. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Dennis, you should be able to wrap this one up in time to drive it to Carlisle.

rob

2032. I’ll put a hitch on the back to hold my scooter. 

• Like 1

It would be nice to see you save the old girl. I have a left front NOS fender and nice grill if you do restore it. Do you know what you would want for it if you decide to sell it? Not that my wife would let me restore a car but its also on my bucket list, pm me if you don't want to post a price. If you want. Thanks

8 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

It would be nice to see you save the old girl. I have a left front NOS fender and nice grill if you do restore it. Do you know what you would want for it if you decide to sell it? Not that my wife would let me restore a car but its also on my bucket list, pm me if you don't want to post a price. If you want. Thanks

I’ll keep you in mind on both fronts. I just don’t know yet. I need to tear it down more. 

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I’ll keep you in mind on both fronts. I just don’t know yet. I need to tear it down more. 

Sounds good, I hope you keep it and bring it back to life.....

If I choose to do it, it’s not going to be a quick project like the 71 was. That’s funny I call a year and a half quick. This is going to take some serious cash to get it done. Worth it in the end, to me yes. I never count my labor on my personal cars, so that drops the cost. If anyone counted labor on the personal cars we would all be in the same boat. It’s a labor of love ( not to sound corny but this is what we do or we wouldn’t be in the group).  To a person fixing and selling not a chance. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dtret said:

It’s a labor of love ( not to sound corny but this is what we do or we wouldn’t be in the group).  

I hate working on cars. I just don't like paying someone else to do it, then have to go over & re-do it anyways...

Hold your horses folks. There is still an “if “ in there. It’s just getting smaller. Lol. Full tear down must happen. I’m sure there is a lot of rust that I haven’t seen yet. But all the parts removed are tagged and bagged for selling if necessary. 

to me the worst part of all this is not whether it gets parted out or not at this point.. plenty of good parts  and she would be doing a service to other montes.. but the worst part is how a nice car like this can be left to rot to dust... just kinda disappointing to see when one comes up in this condition or worse...

4 minutes ago, Blake350 said:

to me the worst part of all this is not whether it gets parted out or not at this point.. plenty of good parts  and she would be doing a service to other montes.. but the worst part is how a nice car like this can be left to rot to dust... just kinda disappointing to see when one comes up in this condition or worse...

That’s one of the hard parts that keeps me twisting on this. Well optioned rare car. Can I do it? I’m guessing I can but is it really worth it. Tear down is where it’s at. 

If I were younger, and I’m not, I would restore it.. and I am limited on finances like most , but I would take one section at a time . Don’t look at the whole restoration. One victory , one celebration at a time. Limit 10-15 years tops. Or sooner . Even if someone else you can trust to carry on the torch per say.. ron

1 hour ago, Searsman said:

If I were younger, and I’m not, I would restore it.. and I am limited on finances like most , but I would take one section at a time . Don’t look at the whole restoration. One victory , one celebration at a time. Limit 10-15 years tops. Or sooner . Even if someone else you can trust to carry on the torch per say.. ron

I’m the end of the line. There is no one to carry the torch. What happens to my stuff is going to be another person’s problem. Lol. 

• Like 2