New Member with a 1970 SS454

Hartauto

I recently bought a matching numbers 1970 SS454 high option Monte Carlo. It has buckets/console, tilt,cruise, deluxe seat belts, pwr windows/locks, am/fm 8 track, windshield washer monitor, fiber optic fender mount turn signals, sport vinyl top, 3 spoke sport wheel, tach/gauges, Corvette style Hub Caps, and rear defroster. It’s been parked in a barn since 1986 after being hit in right rear quarter panel.  A new GM quarter panel was bought at that time along with both GM new front fenders, all still have the GM stickers on them. The fenders was installed in late 80’s and originals tossed I guess. I purchased a GM assembly manual from eBay to figure out where to mount the original fender lamp indicators. I’m told the button on the end of turn signal isn’t cruise control but I’m sure someone on here can tell me what it is. This car still has all its original accessories like alternator, distributor, and so on. The fuel pump was changed out but the original is in a A/C delco box in the trunk. It’s a Baltimore built car. I’m going to pull the seats soon in hopes of finding a readable build sheet. 71617201746__2B8CA750-B7B7-4AA2-8067-AEDB5FD9B3F5.thumb.jpeg.90c7426e1105e119f00dbc41a39ba003.jpegIMG_0695.thumb.jpeg.a53ad2c032a710d7050dbbb3939edb4c.jpegIMG_0692.thumb.jpeg.40b38c6b25169c0621fac507d20ffc62.jpegIMG_0714.thumb.jpeg.6a5bee5dd9e466134855c4f61a968922.jpeg

• Like 10

William Welcome to the club!!!    Looks like a great start!!!!   I found my build sheet in the seat so good luck!!!  great bunch of guys here, so dont hesitate to ask any question!!!

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

Hey William! I saw your post on Face Book. I'm glad you found your way here! This is a great, knowledgeable group. I'm sure you will find answers to many questions here. Look forward to following your progress on the car. Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

1 hour ago, Hartauto said:

I recently bought a matching numbers 1970 SS454 high option Monte Carlo. It has buckets/console, tilt,cruise, deluxe seat belts, pwr windows/locks, am/fm 8 track, windshield washer monitor, fiber optic fender mount turn signals, sport vinyl top, 3 spoke sport wheel, tach/gauges, Corvette style Hub Caps, and rear defroster. It’s been parked in a barn since 1986 after being hit in right rear quarter panel.  A new GM quarter panel was bought at that time along with both GM new front fenders, all still have the GM stickers on them. The fenders was installed in late 80’s and originals tossed I guess. I purchased a GM assembly manual from eBay to figure out where to mount the original fender lamp indicators. I’m told the button on the end of turn signal isn’t cruise control but I’m sure someone on here can tell me what it is. This car still has all its original accessories like alternator, distributor, and so on. The fuel pump was changed out but the original is in a A/C delco box in the trunk. It’s a Baltimore built car. I’m going to pull the seats soon in hopes of finding a readable build sheet. 71617201746__2B8CA750-B7B7-4AA2-8067-AEDB5FD9B3F5.thumb.jpeg.90c7426e1105e119f00dbc41a39ba003.jpegIMG_0695.thumb.jpeg.a53ad2c032a710d7050dbbb3939edb4c.jpegIMG_0692.thumb.jpeg.40b38c6b25169c0621fac507d20ffc62.jpegIMG_0714.thumb.jpeg.6a5bee5dd9e466134855c4f61a968922.jpeg

Welcome.nice find

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

William you’re now in good company. Several of us have restored or are restoring cars that probably should have been parted. Not saying yours is one of them but more to the fact that they can be saved. It looks like an awesome start being a very complete car. If you want an inspiration go to my thread in the general section. It’s “Topic Suggestion “. That will show you how crazy some of us are. Great car and welcome to the best Monte group ever. 

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 1

William, I have already welcomed you in our email exchanges.  In case you have not noticed, We Love Pictures.  In you post you said something about being in a wash bay to remove the years of dust, dirt and grime.  One of the next pictures you can show us is how well it cleaned up.  Were you able to find the air ride suspension compressor in any of the parts in the trunk or inside the car?  Do you know yet if the original air shocks and shock protector plates are still on the car, along with the air lift valve/switch is still mounted in the rear of the car?

OK, now let's get those pictures posted.

rob

• Like 4
  • Thank You! 1

Welcome to the club and forums, Bill!  That's an interesting way to get your "SS454 Monte itch" scratched but if you've got the time, skills and resources you can restore it to it's original glory. It won't take a lot to make it look better, but it will take lots more to make it look great! That is truly a heavily optioned car so you've got a lot to work with. 

My '70 was built in Baltimore and I found a build sheet inside the front passenger seat, hog-ring stapled to the seat springs.  Hope you are able to find one or more in your car. Enjoy the club and your new SS!

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

Only one I have found (still in car ),was under the rear seat bottom cushion, between the springs and burlap .I didn't try to take it out, figured it would fall apart in the process.When/if the top fabric gets torn, that's when I'll be able to retrieve it safely. Awesome find with all those options . I'm cloning mine into a Big Block "Custom" . Welcome to the FGMCC!!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

11 hours ago, Hartauto said:

Ok guys I didn’t find a build sheet under passenger seat or under the back seat. Where else should I look? On the plus side the floor pans actually look nice. 

Behind the seat backs. Under the dash pad. On the back of the door panels.