Happy New Years Traditions, What Are Yours

Rob Peters

My main tradition came from our Father.  He said it is a German Tradition....... eating Herring in Cream or Wine sauce midnight.

20231231_230355.thumb.jpg.291dafa23f1ea41df30f676650cf2264.jpg

anothernis a new year iced Pretzel for breakfast

17040822533524151212174022045941.thumb.jpg.0961d1e143efd0b4f8f60eae2e8a9b60.jpg

And pork roast for dinner

17040823036894109207552526434905.thumb.jpg.4a1044dea5c6815846f44d9eba7f484c.jpg

all of these fir good luck and good health.   

it better work.

rob

• Like 10

Only one at midnight I do a shot and a beer in honor on my dad, him and I used to do it every year as long as I can  remember. Of course I do a few other beers too 😀 Happy new year to all! I'm hoping for a better year next year this year was probably the worst one I've ever had.

• Like 10

On New Years eve, we usually stay home and finish off the remainder of our seasonal eggnog. I like to add a couple shots of Tuaca to mine.

If the weather is nice tomorrow, we may pull the Monte out and drive to Fort Bragg on the Calif Coast.

300 miles round trip, lunch at our special place on a hillside,  and back home …..  We typically do this type of day travel on New Year's day. 

Tuesday I plan to take her back to the upholstery shop for some minor color work on the package tray and perhaps color matched leather wrap for the steering wheel.

OOPS… The Monte has to wait for her upholstery …….. Angel just informed me that our Grandson ( Marine Corporal EVC) , his fiancé , and our son Lt Col EVC,,, will joining us at Beale AFB for lunch on Tuesday. 

oh well..  welcome and best wishes to all for 2024…. keepem shiny.   

Ed C  

BTW… I'm EVC the third .. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent… 

Cooked cabbage on New Year’s Day . Good luck and fortune. Happy Monte healthy new year everyone…

• Like 7

Went to sleep at 9:30 woke at 11:30 to pee and back to sleep before 12. Used to meet with three other couples for Supper on NYE and then to card playing until midnight. New Years Day we do nothing special. Tried to start the corned beef and cabbage thing but Glendia is not a big fan of corned beef.

• Like 7

Rob, I enjoy the same Acme Herring at the stroke of midnight.  Takes me back to my childhood in Brooklyn.  Brooklyn Herring.  Love it.

• Like 7

I typically had to work Christmas/New Years for most of my years at the chemical & power plants. I do miss the double time & a half pay, that's for sure 😁.

Last night was steaks on the grill (though there was a little sprinkle of snow flakes) and asleep in the chair as the clock went past midnight....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Last night it was Romanian moonshine at midnight with some friends of ours, which is far from a tradition. Every Jan 1 we go to the beach and watch the sun come up over a new year, then we find a breakfast spot that is open. This year the weather was perfect, unlike years past. 

• Like 7

No traditions here -  Happy New Year to all!

Sending blessings of health & prosperity to all FGMCC members and their families.

• Like 6
  • Thank You! 1

59 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Last night was steaks on the grill (though there was a little sprinkle of snow flakes) and asleep in the chair as the clock went past midnight....

Sleeping in the chair as the clock hit midinght.... wow, you must be really old, even I was awake to see the new year come in

rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Yes Rob, Herring was a tradition in my household either on New Year’s Eve growing up, or on New Year’s Day depending on my work schedule. My kids are not big fans of it, but had tried it multiple times. My wife and I still enjoy it. 
Happy New Year to all of Monte family !!! Wishing you and your families good health, happiness and prosperity in 2024. Plenty of opportunities to meet up and participate in various Club events in 2024. Our First Generation Monte Carlo Club Eastern and Western Meets, Syracuse Nationals or other Mini Meets. Make a New Year’s resolution to come join us !!!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Sleeping in the chair as the clock hit midinght.... wow, you must be really old, even I was awake to see the new year come in

rob

Still younger than you though.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Still younger than you though.😁

Age is only a number, my policy is to not give in to it.  

rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Montemedic said:

Yes Rob, Herring was a tradition in my household either on New Year’s Eve growing up, or on New Year’s Day depending on my work schedule. My kids are not big fans of it, but had tried it multiple times. My wife and I still enjoy it. 
Happy New Year to all of Monte family !!! Wishing you and your families good health, happiness and prosperity in 2024. Plenty of opportunities to meet up and participate in various Club events in 2024. Our First Generation Monte Carlo Club Eastern and Western Meets, Syracuse Nationals or other Mini Meets. Make a New Year’s resolution to come join us !!!

Yeah, I am the only one here in my house that partakes of the herring.... I am told 'it is YOUR' family tradition, not mine.  

rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Rob the Hearing was a big thing in my family when i was younger also. Along with so many other fish and shell fish. I remember one time when i was younger at my grandfathers house, someone dropped a case of crabs, the case opened up and they were strutting all over the place.  lol  The women were also running to get away from them, and all the guys were trying to round them up. I got the best job of closing the case as they were rounding them up and bringing them to me as i opened the case then closing it fast. Not so much now as the younger generation don't get into most of the traditions!!!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Yeah, I am the only one here in my house that partakes of the herring.... I am told 'it is YOUR' family tradition, not mine.  

rob

Thats exactly what they tell me Rob!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Age is only a number, my policy is to not give in to it.  

rob

I feel older, that's for sure.

• Like 3

No traditions here either. Maria and I went out for a steak dinner last night. A first for New Year’s Eve. On the way home she said let’s do this again next year. Maybe the start of a tradition? Anyway, in bed by 10:30. Can’t remember the last time I stayed up past midnight. Happy New Year to all the club members and their families.

• Like 6

Happy New Year Rob…..  Thanks for all the work you did in 2023. 

Sorry we've  never met in person .

We have no traditions either. But can you count sleeping through the turn as one?  I have consistently woken up the morning of the first, I guess I’ll take that as a win. Happy New Year to everyone and I hope 2024 is a banner year for all. 

• Like 5

As Ron says above, here in the south we have collard greens, black eyed peas, pork, and cornbread. This is my second plate!

IMG_6134.jpeg

• Like 7

No big traditions here. Go out at midnight, clang pots and pans to scare deer and bears for a good minute then do shots of our favorite liquor, yell happy New Year, cops show up.....nothing going on here... Wake up with hang over, Bloody Mary's for the bunch, Wish everyone good new year, on with our day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5