Electric Vehicles

How’s that going in this cold. Average voltage drop for all models is 30 percent. All over the side of the road, parked. Monster lines at the charging stations with a four hour time limit on charging. Imma fire up an SS and go whip some donuts at the charging station. Honk Honk. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Dennis i said the same thing!! Take one of my parts cars and drive around them, nice and warm with a sticker of a Joker on the back window!!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The states that are mandating these to be the only cars you can buy in the coming years is pure idiocy.

• Like 4

I guess if push comes to shove I’d buy one for local driving but I’d probably never depend on it as a daily, unless technology caught up to what people actually use a vehicle for. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, McCall72 said:

The states that are mandating these to be the only cars you can buy in the coming years is pure idiocy.

Here in California the idiocy state, I believe 2034 is the last year for ICEs to be purchased new. Used purchases will still be ok. I had heard about all the dead EVs that had to be picked up by the diesel powered flat beds. Or having to wait for the gasoline powered van to bring the gasoline powered generator to get a charge. Yes, batteries don’t like those temps. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Here in California the idiocy state, I believe 2034 is the last year for ICEs to be purchased new. Used purchases will still be ok. I had heard about all the dead EVs that had to be picked up by the diesel powered flat beds. Or having to wait for the gasoline powered van to bring the gasoline powered generator to get a charge. Yes, batteries don’t like those temps. 

disclaimer......yes I'm a car snob 🤣 So I don't care if that's the car you want to buy.....

That said , the problem I have is the "what's good for thee but not for me" crowd demanding the commentary. I think Ford lost 30K per unit last year, dealers can't them off the lot, even Hertz is dumping all of theirs . The concept may be pure but the reality isn't at all practical.

As Mark eluded to, in commiefornia you can't charge your car or run you a/c in the house in the summer. Reality trumps (no pun intended) theory every time.

On a side note, I have heard the new S model is super wicked fast 🤣

• Like 2

One of my staff has a Model 3 and she loves it. It is super fast too (dual motor, performance package). She drives a lifted Dodge Power Wagon in the winter though. 

• Like 2

In Chicago a guy waited for over 20 hours at a Tesla charging station and then realized it wasn't charging. The EV's are a nice idea but not for me. The ford dealer nearby has a bunch on the lot and nobody wants them. Cadillac is going to be all EV soon, that will be the end of Cadillac.

• Like 1

I have been involved with electric vehicles in some way since 1996. And now way more involved than I care to be. The most powerful and impactful speech about electric vehicles I got to hear was when a designer told all of us that he guarantees that there will be absolutely no gas powered vehicles on the road in 10 years...  I think it was roughly 1996 when he said that.

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

What scares me about these electric cars is the acceleration..... Just the thing you want to give a 16 year old with a new licence. 

Not just the acceleration,  but the weight of these things scare me. Speed + weight = bad things in an accident.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVC said:

I have an electric chain saw and I like it. 

Ed,

I think most people would agree there is a huge difference in an electric car and electric hand tools like chain saws, drills, hedge trimmers etc.  The popularity of battery operated hand tools is from a convenience thing as much as anything and has nothing to do with gas powered cars.   

That said, I have nothing against electric cars, I feel they have a place in the world.  I would not want a full battery powered car, even for just running around town but can't say I would never buy a hybrid.

rob

• Like 3

On 1/17/2024 at 7:12 PM, Rob Peters said:

Ed,

That said, I have nothing against electric cars, I feel they have a place in the world.  I would not want a full battery powered car, even for just running around town but can't say I would never buy a hybrid.

rob

I agree Rob, 

They have a place,, but the market should determine that.  So far ,that doesn't seem to be the case.  

(Another discussion for another time) 

I personally have no need for a full electric car… I also thought I'd never have a need for an electric chain saw,, but with the advent of brushless motors they seem to have a place. They are now smaller and fit well under the seat of my Monte.  🤣 

In fact, I just ordered another one for Angels Buick …

Regarding Hybrids, I kinda like them … Especially the new ES400 Lexus in dark red … I'm just not interested in the price. 

Ed. 

BTW,,, They work great at car shows to keep people from touching your car… 😀

The bigger thing not being talked about on the mainstream is the huge fire Hazard they are. These things can be absolutely deadly. And it's being ignored.

I pay attention and do not park anywhere near one.  When one goes off its like a welder zero to molten in seconds.  Scary

• Like 1

Reasons for me to buy an electric car.

The roof panel is advanced solar, capable of charging the car within 8 hours of daylight while the car is being used. 

600 mile range.

Lithium not mined by little children and slave labor..

Batteries that can be recharged at home with standard 110v within 4 hours. 

Batteries are 100% recyclable

Batteries that I can remove in my garage. 

Batteries available at O Reilly's..

Easily replaced sensors and motors. 

At least 20 years of life expectancy. .

Brakes that work electrically and without brake dust. 

Car can't be tracked without my knowledge and approval.

Take a cross country trip without planning for charging stations.

Ability to drive my car anywhere/anytime in North America without fear of being of being stuck someplace I don't want to be or fear of the village idiots. 

Chain saw holder…. 

Ed… 

Interesting fact… Our Montes qualify on all of the above items or it isn't required … 

The electric car doesn't meet any of those needs or expectations… 

8 hours ago, EVC said:

Reasons for me to buy an electric car.

The roof panel is advanced solar, capable of charging the car within 8 hours of daylight while the car is being used. 

600 mile range.

Lithium not mined by little children and slave labor..

Batteries that can be recharged at home with standard 110v within 4 hours. 

Batteries are 100% recyclable

Batteries that I can remove in my garage. 

Batteries available at O Reilly's..

Easily replaced sensors and motors. 

At least 20 years of life expectancy. .

Brakes that work electrically and without brake dust. 

Car can't be tracked without my knowledge and approval.

Take a cross country trip without planning for charging stations.

Ability to drive my car anywhere/anytime in North America without fear of being of being stuck someplace I don't want to be or fear of the village idiots. 

Chain saw holder…. 

Ed… 

Interesting fact… Our Montes qualify on all of the above items or it isn't required … 

The electric car doesn't meet any of those needs or expectations… 

I disagree with most all of this. Sorry. I quite possibly need more schooling but I don’t think so. As far as the high, high end cars possibly. But the cost then makes them price prohibitive. Average people can’t afford them. 

• Like 4

I think the transition to electric cars is inevitable but "they" are trying to make it happen too fast. Consider an infrastructure that isn't mature yet (not enough charging stations), technology that works well under ideal conditions and poorly under less-than-ideal conditions (poor charging in low temps, reduced range in cold weather, insanely poor range for electric pickup trucks that are towing, etc). There are ~250 million cars registered in the United States; it will take time to wane those people off of gas and into electric. The technology WILL get better, but it will take time - far more than the 10 or so years they are pushing.

• Like 1

Adding on to @EVC's thought "car can't be tracked without my knowledge and approval" is this:

Consider if someone is struggling financially and they are late on a payment. The car could be immobilized remotely. Or worse, if they get too far behind on their payments, the car could be made to drive itself to a repo lot.

I'm not a fan of the remote access and control of the vehicle. It's great for over-the-air software updates but beyond that, it makes me nervous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Consider an infrastructure that isn't mature yet (not enough charging stations), technology that works well under ideal conditions and poorly under less-than-ideal conditions (poor charging in low temps, reduced range in cold weather, insanely poor range for electric pickup trucks that are towing, etc).

Not just charging stations Bryan.

The infrastructure doesn't have the generating capacity to accommodate the load all those cars will draw when plugged in for charge. Remember, I was a control room operator in one of the largest power plants in the country. On any given day, we're usually pushed to the limit, with the ISO (Independent System Operator) asking for a few more megawatts when it was physically impossible to make more power.

Add to that the number of fossil fuel plants that are shuttered, with no alternate means to make up the lost capacity of them. Two prime examples are a couple of plants that were local to us, each with about 700MW capacity. Poof, they were done, and nothing to replace them except for a few windmills here and there, and they make a few megawatts each....peanuts.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Not just charging stations Bryan.

The infrastructure doesn't have the generating capacity to accommodate the load all those cars will draw when plugged in for charge. Remember, I was a control room operator in one of the largest power plants in the country. On any given day, we're usually pushed to the limit, with the ISO (Independent System Operator) asking for a few more megawatts when it was physically impossible to make more power.

Add to that the number of fossil fuel plants that are shuttered, with no alternate means to make up the lost capacity of them. Two prime examples are a couple of plants that were local to us, each with about 700MW capacity. Poof, they were done, and nothing to replace them except for a few windmills here and there, and they make a few megawatts each....peanuts.

Yes, thank you for pointing out the lack of capacity. Also, I read stories about the shuttering of power plants. Shameful.

• Like 4

This is just for Mark, I know he loves Corvettes!

FB_IMG_1705602108254.jpg

• Like 6
  • Kook 1

23 hours ago, McCall72 said:

Not just the acceleration,  but the weight of these things scare me. Speed + weight = bad things in an accident.

Landlocked "nuclear wessles" with no real control system...... At least Chicago's safe this week.   

• Like 1