Storage for winter

Chris shipley

I used to go start my Monte numerous times during the winter.  I did that for several years until I learned that it is not a good thing to do.  When you do that and run for only a few minutes it creates a lot of condensation in the exhaust system which will cause it to rust out.  I would also think that only running for it a few minutes is not the same as going out for a drive and I suspect it would not get sufficient oil running through the system to properly lubricate it and may create excessive internal wear... I don't know that for sure but I suspect it could create issues.

rob

• Like 5

As Rob said, I’ve heard similar opinions. If started they should be driven at least 20-30 minutes to be brought up to temp before shutting down. Being in California I’d imagine your winters are maybe 4+ months. I know some have a pre storage protocol but I’ve had cars sit longer than that and not had any issues. Anything that’s not a daily driver has a trickle charger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

I used to go start my Monte numerous times during the winter.  I did that for several years until I learned that it is not a good thing to do.  When you do that and run for only a few minutes it creates a lot of condensation in the exhaust system which will cause it to rust out.  I would also think that only running for it a few minutes is not the same as going out for a drive and I suspect it would not get sufficient oil running through the system to properly lubricate it and may create excessive internal wear... I don't know that for sure but I suspect it could create issues.

rob

Thanks for the info 

I fill em up with gas, park, pull out the battery ( basement tender) cover. Done. When I’m ready to drive uncover, put battery in fire it up and head to the gas station to fill it up again. I siphon gas all winter out of the cars for whatever I need it for. lol. 😂. Chris I hope you weren’t driving your car in December and January and are now deciding to put it up for winter. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I fill em up with gas, park, pull out the battery ( basement tender) cover. Done. When I’m ready to drive uncover, put battery in fire it up and head to the gas station to fill it up again. I siphon gas all winter out of the cars for whatever I need it for. lol. 😂. Chris I hope you weren’t driving your car in December and January and are now deciding to put it up for winter. 

No definitely not .parked it October.. I just know some people start them up throughout winter. Some people park them and forget about them to spring

The cars I have outside I do start periodically over the winter if we get warmer days ,the higher hp cars we have I will crank the engine without starting them just to keep everything oiled and valvetrain moving. 

• Like 2

I usually start mine and back it out of garage let it high idle for a few minutes to reach operating temperature. I'd take it around the neighborhood if there wasn't so much salt on roads.cry a little and hope for an early spring bring it back in and put tender back on.

FB_IMG_1675828043843.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer. 

Trickle charger. 

Over inflate tires.

Hug & kiss.

Car cover. 

Inflatable car capsule aka “car bubble”. 

Dormant till spring. 

• Like 3

Block her up, drain radiator and windshield res., pull battery, cover and sit sadly in the window waiting for spring. ;)

Come spring, I change the oil... just to be sure that there's some in the top end of the engine before firing her up. Replace the other fluids and grease everything, Fire her up for about 30 minutes and run through the gears before putting her back on the ground. Just to get everything loosened up.

I made the mistake the first winter of starting up in the cold..... Weakened the battery, and because of the aluminum intake and heads, the top end gaskets all needed to be replaced. :(

Montelishi spends her winters outside, and I just don't want to take the chance on these -40 degree cold snaps. 

I flush the system every spring before putting her back on the road, and use an additive to lubricate the system. Seems to work.... so far. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always fill with gas and stabilizer. When we get a mild day say 40 I'll start mine back it out of the garage and run it for at least 20 to 30 min to bring it up to operating temperature. Keep a trickle charger on the battery. 

• Like 1