What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandson and I took my '70 SS to its first car show today over in El Dorado, KS. It's a small town about 25 miles NE of Wichita on the edge of the beautiful Flint Hills. They just have one car show a year but they close both main streets to host the show. It rained this morning (finally!) and was threatening all afternoon and evening (almost no one stayed around to hear the class winners, including me) but there were just under 100 vehicles entered, including some very nice ones.

There was only one other first gen Monte there, a '71 SS owned by Dan Gentry of Andover, KS (a suburb of Wichita). I met and visited with Dan about his car and our club and learned to my surprise that he is also the owner of the '71 402 4-speed Monte I saw at the Blacktop Nationals last summer. As some of you will recall, the production numbers Dan has received (and has offered to share with me) do not agree with the '71 402 4-speed production numbers in our Tech Info section.

So, I am anxious to see the production numbers Dan has and see if they can be verified.

Dan commented that it was interesting that we both owned factory 4-speed and SS cars of the same year, mine are '70's and his are '71's. A couple pictures follow of our SS cars at the show today and a couple more are of his '71 4-speed at the 2010 Blacktop nationals:

My '70 SS car at the show today (after 41 years of dust have been removed from the trunk, interior and engine compartment!).

P9170967.jpg

Dan's '71 SS car at the show today (that's Dan sitting just behind his Monte).

P9170972.jpg

Dan's '71 402 4-speed car at the 2010 Blacktop Nationals.

P8280213.jpg

The production numbers for '71 402 4-speeds Dan claims and I hope to verify in the future.

P8280214.jpg

Stay tuned!

After nearly 4 months of seperation, I washed waxed and took her for a nice drive downtown Huntsville. It was great, shes still turning heads! Yup 4 months all covered up and garaged with the Cadi. The Cadi needed to be jump started but the Monte fired after a few turns of the key. I just love that ole Monte!!! Both were well pampered today & back in the garage for another four/five months. Off to Kuwait again on Wednesday :-(

Well it did not all get done in one day but I've been rebuilding the bottom corner of the drivers door. Almost have the metal work done...

It's gone from this:

0910111625a.jpg

to the fabricating steps:

0910111626a.jpg

0911112309a.jpg

To this:

0917112127a.jpg

Steve

Did the passenger side header gasket. Perfect storm of number 8 cylinder, 2 inch headers, and AC evaporator! I got the skinned knuckles to prove it. Trans mount replaced and wobbly PS pulley replaced.

Steve, (Monteman1971) ordered new front end parts for my Monte. After 41 years, I think it's time to replace and upgrade the steering and suspension. I will assist him with the rebuild. All the parts are factory replacements.

Pressed the new bearings on the differential. Took the cover to be powder coated, silver with clear. Getting ready to remove the old differential this evening after a nap..... zzzzzzzz

I washed the 70 today which is likely it's last wash of the year. Still nice weather for driving but it will probably not see any rain or a road trip (bugs, etc) until next spring.

Also washed the 72 and vaccumed it. I decided to look into some issues I've had with my driver's quarter window so I pulled out the rear seat and rear interior panels to take a look. Discovered a broken guide wheel on the quarter window so I pulled that out (I'll visit the parts store tomorrow). Then it turned into a "while I'm here" all day event. I washed all the rear interior panels, window felts, and other misc pieces back there. I might also look into putting in a new package tray since I have it all apart. Looks like I'll be driving it to work next week with only half the interior. smile

I dusted mine off, Fixed th wire for my left rear reverse light. Then put the monte back in the garage and covered it up. Only 2 more car shows for me in Oct. then on to getting it ready for the winter projects.

Washed off some tree-gunk that gathered... took it for a spin out to the pumpkin patch & beach... enjoyed one of the last good cruising days left before the rains come.

Now it sits covered until the engine swap and storage at the end of october.

Swapped the drivers side header gasket - hopefully all exhaust leaks are fixed!

Getting ready for our driving season down here - like the polar opposite of the last few posts.....literally!

On Saturday(after a good wash and waxing on thurs last week) decided to take her to a car show I found out about on thurs also. Well out of 10 or so cars in the 70-80's class I took second place in the class. Then went to a local cruise night after that, ran into a guy with a white and blue(interior) 71 SS that he has owned since 88. well after talking to him and asking about his rims telling him I would like to get a set of Vette Rally's for my 72 he said I have a set at home, they were on his car when he bought it and took them off less than a year ago for the chrome rallys he has now. After a short talk about the rims asked him what he was doing with them and if he would like to sell them. He said sure, 75 bucks with a decent set of rings on them...well I gave him 100 because he brought them to me this morning at work...lets just say a little blasting and new paint new tires and yes I am set.....Sorry I got long winded

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's been sunny and 80 these days and clear at night - quite unusual for KY for this time of year, I decided to take the Monte on a 220 mile round trip I had to make as a board member of a little Christian school. It was expensive eek , but fun, and with no unwanted drama. This was the first night it's been ungaraged for at least 6 years. However, it got lots of attention. People kept coming up and talking about it at the motel - I didn't get to bed until well after 11:00. Got lots of thumbs up on the freeway too...it handles 80 (at 2900 rpm shock ) very well.

Here we are parked at Paul's Motel - Jackson, KY.

P1010029.JPG

Here's a random shot - just showing off the paint job (that I didn't do.) It was pretty dusty, but still... wink

P1010014_000.JPG

BTW, that tractor is another project.