What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Beale AFB has had the pleasure of a Green Monte Carlo on her roads since 1977…. She never misses a praise from the young guards as she enters the security gates. 

16700425_1356905561022021_8967291197574629965_o.jpg

Went with the satin black on the front grill. These are before and after pictures. Got it back on the 71 , finally. After some realignment of some things … I prefer the black … Thanks for the suggestion Steve… IMG_1933.thumb.png.be5147a034e6feeba34b87386b610242.pngIMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.6f82429555f85674929c1d4871db8712.jpegIMG_1932.thumb.jpeg.8454b3553107983160e3ed571e2e8121.jpeg

• Like 12

Took mine out today was a nice day here, of course it started out at gas station for its drinking problem then cruising around running errands went to park and to lunch then to another park. Went to cemetery too to see my wife and my dad's Graves. It started skipping towards the end of day so gotta pull the plug it's probably fouled again. Of course a photo op came up.

20231025_172100.jpg

• Like 6

Drove to Reno again yesterday (223 miles round trip, Summit racing), and used 10.4 gals, 89 octane, always with Lucas additive… 

Avg cruising speed was 60 to 75mph, reaching 80 twice. 

Cruising rpm was 1800 to 2150… Never went beyond 2600...

Doing what she was designed to do, give 21mpg on the open road, idle like a kitten at 700rpm, and roar like a lion when needed.

Hank likes it… FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.9021f8fb4a2e60964b943a1b2e4073a2.jpeg 

8 hours ago, Stuckin70s said:

Do you still have the stock rear-end?  Cam shaft?

Original engine 20 over….. 041 heads…   273 gearing with 700r4 tranny.

Edlebrock intake and carb…. Both square bore with no adapters…. It made a big difference for me. 

Don't recall the numbers on the Cam , but it's a mild torque and does most of its work between 1000 to 4500. We live in hill country and it's great set up… I can drive anywhere in the Sierra's and stay below 3000 rpm. 

It's a long story, but I tried using a roller cam twice and they never lasted beyond the first oil change. 

Well fog'd and all the other stuff, took this right before the cover went on. Just for Joe I took (or finally found) the left side of the Monte 🤣 Hope to get the blue oval up to Va next year. 

PreCover.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Well fog'd and all the other stuff, took this right before the cover went on. Just for Joe I took (or finally found) the left side of the Monte 🤣 Hope to get the blue oval up to Va next year. 

PreCover.jpeg

Nice picture. Do I see cows? 

It was a wonderful day today so I took my 71 for a ride, then washed it and covered it up.

Our oldest grandson should be visiting this Thanksgiving and now that he has his learner's permit, I hope the weather is nice and HE can take ME for a nice ride in my Monte, his first DRIVE!

We would take him and his younger brother to Woodward Dream Cruise every year since he was a toddler but then they moved away over 6 years ago now. Picture of his first Woodward cruise.

IMG_0636.JPG

• Like 7

Put the 71 up on the lift to clean underneath from a rainy car show trip. Removed the rear stainless behind the rear wheels. Did some touch up painting in exposed area. Didn’t look bad behind stainless after all these years, no rust!. IMG_1934.thumb.jpeg.fe2e202e224e66db3a84c7da46a3e889.jpegIMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.a93f88f4088363c3fc3f470930ba1f72.jpegIMG_1935.thumb.jpeg.7dd4bec8f90ea8173252d6b77b1fcbf2.jpeg

• Like 6

On 10/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, DragCat said:

PreCover.jpeg

Nice shop!

• Like 1

Getting ready to pull the engine and trans out of the 70 Monte. The last time these were out of the car was at the factory. Going for a fairly stock rebuild with some minor upgrades for longevity.

IMG_1568.jpeg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Getting ready to pull the engine and trans out of the 70 Monte. The last time these were out of the car was at the factory. Going for a fairly stock rebuild with some minor upgrades for longevity.

IMG_1568.jpeg

What type of upgrades Aaron?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

What type of upgrades Aaron?

Still yet to be discussed with the engine builder but nothing drastic. Really just things that will make the engine last a long time, maybe a roller cam. The engine makes good power and torque as is and heads on this are already decent. I will finally ditch the points and go electronic though. We’ll see what other recommendations my builder has. It is still going to look stock when if is done.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Still yet to be discussed with the engine builder but nothing drastic. Really just things that will make the engine last a long time, maybe a roller cam. The engine makes good power and torque as is and heads on this are already decent. I will finally ditch the points and go electronic though. We’ll see what other recommendations my builder has. It is still going to look stock when if is done.

Gotcha. As far as electronic ignition and looking stock, you may already know about the pertronix kit. I highly recommend it. 

I have it along with their wires and coil on barnfind. Works flawlessly. Have used pertronix on other vehicles throughout the years with the same great results. 

• Like 2

I highly recommend the roller cam and roller lifters. That is what I had put in mine on the rebuild 5 years ago and it is great. My builder said it increased the HP buy about 10% and helped with the MPG a little

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Gotcha. As far as electronic ignition and looking stock, you may already know about the pertronix kit. I highly recommend it. 

I have it along with their wires and coil on barnfind. Works flawlessly. Have used pertronix on other vehicles throughout the years with the same great results. 

Yes, I plan to do the Pertronix upgrade with the stock cap. I would still want this to appear stock. Do I need different plug wires and spark plugs with electronic ignition?

1 hour ago, Leghome said:

I highly recommend the roller cam and roller lifters. That is what I had put in mine on the rebuild 5 years ago and it is great. My builder said it increased the HP buy about 10% and helped with the MPG a little

Yes, more efficiency is a good thing. I drive this car to work and back about 3,500 miles or so per year (mostly highway).