What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You are correct Rob. But I think most of us left it on , even though it’s wrong. 

Like I said Dennis, I am not sure why they didn't install it on the lower portion of the seat and I don't blame people for installing it.  I don't know which members are looking to keep their cars factory correct so I pointed that out in case someone reading this didn't know.

rob

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Like I said Dennis, I am not sure why they didn't install it on the lower portion of the seat and I don't blame people for installing it.  I don't know which members are looking to keep their cars factory correct so I pointed that out in case someone reading this didn't know.

rob

And you are absolutely correct in doing so. 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2023 at 2:36 PM, Steve G said:

It touched the street for the first time in 14 years. (Bad photo taken from surveillance camera)C2FE5A56-7E93-4C1F-8FA3-263ADA733EF6.thumb.jpeg.2a0c8a22e1cecaad16534a4bba1f7075.jpeg

YES!!!!!!

• Like 3

Well I didn't do a damn thing to my Monte today!!!!  LOL  I had to take a break from it for a while because it was consuming all of my time.  Last thing I did do though was get the A/C serviced up and she didn't leak, and she IS blowing cold.  I need to look at the HVAC Box under the dash though and the controls as I may have to replace some of the foam on the doors or vacuum lines etc as it isn't blowing as hard as it should be for the amount the blower is working.  May have the heater door slightly open or leaky ducts or something.  But at least I have some cold air now coming out.  IT HAS BEEN HOT HOT HOT here and lately the humidity has been terrible.  I've been working indoors on other projects (guitars, amps and stuff).  But I think tomorrow I'll have to go out in the garage and bear the heat a bit while I put her back up on Jacks and pull the driveshaft and the tail housing off of the Transmission and see why my speedometer still won't work after checking everything else the only thing left is in the tail housing.  I'm hoping the the gear clip is still there and just slipped off or something because the cruise control unit started getting stiff from lack of lubricant and age causing excessive binding on the speedometer gears.  The white gear on the cable side looks good and the red gear in the tail shaft looks good but I need to pull the housing off to see where it's sitting on the shaft, because I think it's been pushed forward and isn't meshing with the white gear.  Hopefully I can fix it and be done with that problem and have speedometer back.

Then I need to see why my AC Fast Idle Solenoid is not working when I turn on the A/C.  I haven't checked yet to see if I'm getting voltage there and it's just a bad solenoid or if I'll be chasing wires again.  Need to look in the service manual wiring diagrams and see where it gets power from the Compressor side or the AC Control side, or somewhere else.  Right now, I have to have the car idled way up high so it doesn't die when I kick on the A/C.

And Also need to remove my windshield washer pump and see if I just need to replace the $3 diaphram kit in the pump or the pump motor itself.  I did check the voltage there earlier and it was getting voltage so this problem I know is somewhere in the Pump Assy.

I started on the replacement motor I am planning on putting in her, a 383 that I had in a '71 Nova I used to have.  It needed cam bearings so I put the 355 back in the Nova and have had this 383 stored for several years now (6 or 7).  Got me some cheap aluminum heads 200cc and gonna put the 2.02 Valves in them, and a flat tappet cam from a racing buddy of mine in the old Nova club  He made a few passes on it and sent it to me as a gift and I've been holding it for a good project and think I'll use it on this one.  Edelbrock single plane intake and Edelbrock 850 carb.  Desktop Dyno says it should make about 450HP and I think my 8.2" rear end can handle that since it will probably only be about 360HP at the rear wheels and somewhere I read the 8.2" were good to about 400HP, I guess I'll find out.  But it's still just a one legged rear end for now anyway.  I will need a stall converter and gears for the cam, so I'll probably need to get a posi unit and some gears too.  Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching!!!  LOL  Still needs Headers, dual exhaust, etc.

I have a PLAN!!!!!!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Mark,  I may be wrong but I didn't think the chrome trim was installed on the lower portion of the seats, only the backrest.  I was always confused as to why they would not have installed it on the lower portion of the seats.

I am sure if I am incorrect someone will chime in on this.  Since I don't have one with buckets I can't swear to this.

rob

Yea Rob, I thought I remembered there was no trim on the lower seat part. But since I ordered a kit and I'm not a stickler for originality I put the lowers on anyway. Also was a good thing to start with the smaller pieces first before doing the upper back. 🤣

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DragCat said:

Yea Rob, I thought I remembered there was no trim on the lower seat part. But since I ordered a kit and I'm not a stickler for originality I put the lowers on anyway. Also was a good thing to start with the smaller pieces first before doing the upper back. 🤣

Did the drivers side top back tonight, was actually easier than the lowers 🤣 Or maybe I had a little more experience bending 🤣

TopBack.jpeg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Did the drivers side top back tonight, was actually easier than the lowers 🤣 Or maybe I had a little more experience bending 🤣

Is that a picture you found on the internet?

Looks good though! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Is that a picture you found on the internet?

Looks good though! 😁

Its getting really hard to go through the shutter stock photos and find the right color combinations to post 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

TopBack.jpeg

It looks great Mark!!!

rob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, willie said:

Looks Great Mark!!!! Now to the other side!!!!!   lol

The passenger side (back) was fine Willie so no need to replace. But yea I did the outer lower on that one too 🤣

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, DragCat said:

The passenger side (back) was fine Willie so no need to replace. But yea I did the outer lower on that one too 🤣

You just couldn't find a matching picture on the 'net of the other side....you're not fooling anyone. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/18/2023 at 7:34 AM, DragCat said:

On 7/18/2023 at 7:34 AM, DragCat said:

Mark, my Monte buckets do not have this trim on lower seats as well. Looks nice on yours. Where’s the best place to order this trim? Thanks, Ron...

I am in the process of refurbishing my heater box on the workbench.  Parts are limited.  The box appears to originally had open-cell foam on the defrost door as well as a strip on the blend door.  None of the gasket kits I have found include the replacement form.  

I chose to take the gasket kit closed-cell cut out and use it on the defrost door.  I just used the same staples that held the original.  

I took the evaporator and heater core to a local radiator ship.  Both were flushed clean and pressure tested.  Original brass heater core and A/C evaporator.  

I did find a lot of debre in the heater box so it was worth cleaning out. 

Good Luck! 

Brad

20230722_200110[1].jpg

20230722_193823[1].jpg

20230722_200155[1].jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Searsman said:

Mark, my Monte buckets do not have this trim on lower seats as well. Looks nice on yours. Where’s the best place to order this trim? Thanks, Ron...

Ron, I got the kit from SS396.com. I was only looking to replace the drivers side back piece that was broken. I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to have the lowers but after looking around I decided to go with the whole kit. 2 backs, and 4 lower pieces. I didn't do the lower insides (next to the console) pretty sure the seats have to come out for that 🤣

• Thank You! 1

Restored an undented but in need of a restoration set of P02 hubcaps. Put them on the polishing wheel, repainted the black accents and replaced the center caps with new ones from Trim Parts. Nice change of pace from the rally's from time to time.

20230723_121725.jpg

Resized_Resized_20230726_130923.jpeg

20230727_172440.jpg

20230727_172455.jpg

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, McCall72 said:

Restored an undented but in need of a restoration set of P02 hubcaps. Put them on the polishing wheel, repainted the black accents and replaced the center caps with new ones from Trim Parts. Nice change of pace from the rally's from time to time.

20230723_121725.jpg

Resized_Resized_20230726_130923.jpeg

20230727_172440.jpg

20230727_172455.jpg

Nice job! I like the look of the Corvette centers better than the Monte version. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Nice job! I like the look of the Corvette centers better than the Monte version. 

Yeah, I do too. I don't believe they re-pop the non Corvette version anyway.

Amazing how much design and effort GM put into these. Heck, they put more design thought into those hubcaps than they do with some cars these days!

• Like 2

Doug’s D308 headers being installed in the 350. Looks like the starter is a tight fit. I wish I’d gone for a mini when I replaced the clapped out original. I have the remote solenoid so that might keep it cool, providing the battery + cable isn’t getting fried. 

IMG_8086.thumb.jpeg.7f292291632f0911b685b7e78f0ffd7d.jpeg

• Like 5

On 7/31/2023 at 5:22 AM, Crom Cruach said:

Doug’s D308 headers being installed in the 350. Looks like the starter is a tight fit. I wish I’d gone for a mini when I replaced the clapped out original. I have the remote solenoid so that might keep it cool, providing the battery + cable isn’t getting fried. 

IMG_8086.thumb.jpeg.7f292291632f0911b685b7e78f0ffd7d.jpeg

All that room under the hood and still a tight fit. ;)

21 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

stop, it’s been with my mechanic for two days, what is he doing with it? it’s gonna be a hefty bill anyway 😮

Check the odometer when you get it back..... See if it's been on any "unknown" road trips. ;)

On 7/17/2023 at 9:43 PM, Rob Peters said:

rob

Seat trim ordered and installed, wasn’t going to replace seat back trim but went ahead with it, as the original had yellowed like window crank knobs and had also shrank. To the point they wouldn’t reach the end cap trim as shown in the pictures.. looks much brighter and better with the bottom seat trim on.. but, I’ll save the original trim… Ron…IMG_1448.thumb.jpeg.bbc6e25957ce82932aab452532135eb8.jpegIMG_1447.thumb.jpeg.319b5cc54e61942af39c9d749c494e0b.jpegIMG_1415.thumb.jpeg.ea1b436b183d7431d838a8d8b8dd7014.jpeg

• Like 7