What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Took out the seats to have them IMG_2363.thumb.jpeg.8d4a71ae29e282a1923f661b3bc9fcf0.jpegIMG_2364.thumb.jpeg.74782b45acd6a8183de9ea30ca255525.jpegupholstered, but a 325$ sidewall hole truck tire put the damper on that . So I just cleaned them up , took the opportunity to put the console side trim on and re installed. Not bad shape anyway. And wasn’t a priority.. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Took out the seats to have them IMG_2363.thumb.jpeg.8d4a71ae29e282a1923f661b3bc9fcf0.jpegIMG_2364.thumb.jpeg.74782b45acd6a8183de9ea30ca255525.jpegupholstered, but a 325$ sidewall hole truck tire put the damper on that . So I just cleaned them up , took the opportunity to put the console side trim on and re installed. Not bad shape anyway. And wasn’t a priority.. 

I noticed a little wear but I don’t think I would redo them at this point. They look pretty darn good. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I noticed a little wear but I don’t think I would redo them at this point. They look pretty darn good. 

Thanks. I agree . Should last longer than 53 years 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Thanks. I agree . Should last longer than 53 years 😁

The new material probably won’t last as long. Roll on. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Searsman said:

Took out the seats to have upholstered, but a 325$ sidewall hole truck tire put the damper on that . So I just cleaned them up , took the opportunity to put the console side trim on and re installed. Not bad shape anyway. And wasn’t a priority.. 

Sux about the tire 🙃 But they look fine to me. I didn't do the inner console trim on mine 🤣

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:04 AM, DragCat said:

Sux about the tire 🙃 But they look fine to me. I didn't do the inner console trim on mine 🤣

And why not Mark. ??? Only 4 bolts a seat. 🤣. And by the way , the front of the inner trim is somewhat visible from the opposite side 👍🏻

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Searsman said:

And why not Mark. ??? Only 4 bolts a seat. 🤣. And by the way , the front of the inner trim is somewhat visible from the opposite side 👍🏻

I only did the outside because one was broken/missing, and yea with that mentality I should have only done one seat.🤣 But that's my story and I'm sticking to it Ron 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great John, swing by in a couple weeks and we'll go for lunch 😁.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jft69z said:

Looks great John, swing by in a couple weeks and we'll go for lunch 😁.

Looking forward to it.  Hope you start feeling better!

• Thank You! 1

Get ‘er done Jim !!! Carlisle and Syracuse are coming up. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your finished product. 

• Like 2

I pulled the dash pad and inquired at an upholstery shop about repairs.... Told me it was to far gone to fix.

So I did some re-enforcing and filled the cracks with an epoxy, just need to sand it smooth. 

Any recommendations on a good vinyl spray to re finish it ??? It's 1970 Forest Green and I'm hoping to find a good match. 

Scott.

SEM has a pretty wide variety of colors in aerosol cans. I found a close match for the dash on my Buick and was happy with the coverage. Or you could have an automotive paint supplier mix you up an exact match vinyl dye using your interior color number from your body tag also. Not sure if you could get it in an aerosol though. There is a company out here in California called Just  Dashes that can restore your dash to factory. They’re not cheap and with shipping it could be costly. They do dashes for restorers all over the country.

If you Google 66 autocolor they can custom mix the SEM using your interior color number and have it in an aerosol for you. There is an info form to fill out. 

Where I work part time we have Akzo-Nobel products that can match color and put it in a spray can but they are $40.00 per spray can. Our camera does a real good job matching colors most of the time. Every once in a while we run into tough but but not that often

Visited my Monte in its storage garage today,  I started to pull the cover off her but then thought better of it because if I had done that I would have been too tempted to start her up and take her for a ride and there is still some salt dust on the roads.

New plugs, points and condenser along with fresh oil and oil & air filters.

rob

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Wonderful and great inspiration for the rest of us.  The routing of your A/C lines is a nice touch...   Have fun. 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:42 AM, 420ponies said:

Big Blocks in the middle of winter. Never sounded so good 😊 !!  Sweeet .My BBC is oh so close to going in. Gonna be great when it's done.

Nothing like the smell of fresh exhaust on a chilly winter's day, too!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Marks71 said:

SEM has a pretty wide variety of colors in aerosol cans. I found a close match for the dash on my Buick and was happy with the coverage. Or you could have an automotive paint supplier mix you up an exact match vinyl dye using your interior color number from your body tag also. Not sure if you could get it in an aerosol though. There is a company out here in California called Just  Dashes that can restore your dash to factory. They’re not cheap and with shipping it could be costly. They do dashes for restorers all over the country.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, the local shop mentioned them too..... By the time all was calculated, I was looking at about $1000.00 (cdn) to get it done. Close to $800.00 to get a new one from OPGI as well. 

Other than the one major crack, the rest is in pretty good shape. And now that I've got that dealt with, I just need to repaint it. SEM seems to be a popular choice so far..... Am just curious as to hear what kind of results people have had. 

I was able to get a green one in excellent shape cheep so I grabbed it in needed black so went to local supplier got a can of SEM black, cleaned it well and sprayed it and it's holding up great several years later. I only use window cleaner to clean it nothing else.

• Like 1