I FOUND MY UNICORN!

Since roughly 1986 it had been my dream to own a 1970 Monte SS with power windows in triple black.  I knew it was a unicorn.  I had started searching seriously about 4 years ago in hopes of getting it for my 50th birthday.  I had a couple I was interested in but the prices were $40K+ and I didn't want anything I had to rebuild.  It had to be as turnkey as possible.  I've got a lot of reasons to have faith and trust God's timing but honestly, I was really struggling with if owning one was ever going to happen.  

Fast forward to today when my unicorn arrived in the enclosed trailer.  The emotions can't even be put into words.  I just wish my dad was still around.  I was there when he found his dream car (1964 Cadillac Coupe de Ville) and I so wanted to share this moment with him since he was the one who ignited my love of classic cars.  However, instead I share it with y'all because I know how much these cars mean to you.

With that said, I'm going to have some questions as I have officially entered into Monte Carlo ownership.  Please show me some grace if I ask something stupid.  I'm just trying to learn all I can about this beautiful machine.  

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me in the past to continue my search.  Your support truly helped.

Monte right side cropped.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations on finding your unicorn! Sorry about dad. I'm sure he is beyond happy for you!

There are no stupid questions. We would love to see more pics of your unicorn.

Again, congratulations!!

• Like 4

Congratulations, Thomas!  Once you get the Super Sport itch, it eventually has to be scratched! Enjoy!

• Like 3

Congratulations,  sorry about your dad and like Tom said there are no stupid questions. I had the same itch back in 2017. My SS is black with dark green interior. Enjoy the ride. 

IMG_20211109_200415.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Congratulations,  sorry about your dad and like Tom said there are no stupid questions. I had the same itch back in 2017. My SS is black with dark green interior. Enjoy the ride. 

IMG_20211109_200415.jpg

What size tires do you have on it?  In my head, the car should have BFG T/A's so I'm going to order some, but wanted to check what others were running first.  Mine has 235's in the front and they seem small.

Just now, BYBIS said:

What size tires do you have on it?  In my head, the car should have BFG T/A's so I'm going to order some, but wanted to check what others were running first.  Mine has 235's in the front and they seem small.

Gorgeous color combo, BTW.  Thanks for sharing!

8 hours ago, BYBIS said:

Since roughly 1986 it had been my dream to own a 1970 Monte SS with power windows in triple black.  I knew it was a unicorn.  I had started searching seriously about 4 years ago in hopes of getting it for my 50th birthday.  I had a couple I was interested in but the prices were $40K+ and I didn't want anything I had to rebuild.  It had to be as turnkey as possible.  I've got a lot of reasons to have faith and trust God's timing but honestly, I was really struggling with if owning one was ever going to happen.  

Fast forward to today when my unicorn arrived in the enclosed trailer.  The emotions can't even be put into words.  I just wish my dad was still around.  I was there when he found his dream car (1964 Cadillac Coupe de Ville) and I so wanted to share this moment with him since he was the one who ignited my love of classic cars.  However, instead I share it with y'all because I know how much these cars mean to you.

With that said, I'm going to have some questions as I have officially entered into Monte Carlo ownership.  Please show me some grace if I ask something stupid.  I'm just trying to learn all I can about this beautiful machine.  

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me in the past to continue my search.  Your support truly helped.

Monte right side cropped.jpg

Congratulations. On your unicorn  .sorry about your dad.nice car you got.im sure dad is happy for you. I went through same thing .I was 50 when I got mine .and wishing both parents were here... has you said God's timing ....and our faith. 

Congrats , welcome to the madness 🤣 Like other have said, there are NO stupid questions. 

Theres lots of threads on tire sizes in the forums, many have shy'd away from BFG's because of some issues with the white lettering. 

• Like 1

I would go with Cooper Cobras instead of the BFG’s unless they have fixed the browning of the white lettering. A couple of years ago it was really bad, several members got another set replaced by the installer but the also browned out

• Like 2

Congratulations on the purchase of your “new” 1970 Monte Carlo SS Thomas. I’m sure your Dad is smiling from above. Being a new owner, post photos and ask away. We are happy to answer questions. I also own a triple black 70 SS. Wishing you much enjoyment with it !!

• Like 3

Congrats Tom!!   She is beautiful!!!!!    Love triple black!!  Sorry about Dad, but with my Dad is smiling as he is looking down!!!  🙂

• Like 3

Dang that is a NICE care!  I sure would like to have an SS.  I tried about 40 years ago.  Guy was circle tracker and had the engine and trans out for his race stuff.  Sat outside all its life.  Far as I know the guy still has it.  have not seen it for years.

Edited by SSpev

I'm a little late to the party I was in the Adirondack mountains for 10 days. Congrats on finding your dream car, like others have said there are no stupid questions ask  away someone will know the answer. Sorry your dad didn't get to see it.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:00 PM, BYBIS said:

I just replaced the tires with 225/70/15 copper cobras, 

• Like 1