What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Washed the 71. This will be my last week of driving the 71 to work. Starting next week, my 70 will be the daily driver.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get one new pic.

409460385.jpg

4 bolt main 461 w/steel crank, dome pistons and roller cam.

403156178.jpg

Dan

Ordered some parts for the 72 last night and should have some of the front end items showing up later today. Both front tires have been mount and balanced on their rims. The big block got a good cleaning. Seats got bolt back down to the swivel base, both power motors work fine they were greased and lubed before being put back together. Front clip is sitting in place and looking like a car now.

Spent my free time today laying out power driver seat apron for power switch. Going off of pics I saved and uncertain exactly where holes need drilled.

Going to tackle it again tomorrow and hopefully start cleaning her up so I can feel good about driving her. smile

Doug

Ordered flexplate and piston rings! And I'm praying to anyone listening that the starter off the 350 works with the 400 because it was new this spring >.<

yay Today I finally got the Apron & Power Seat Switch properly located and secured on seat. I spent over a period of 2 days trying to figure out where holes needed cut in apron to affix power seat switch. I finally determined seat needs removed from car to get a understanding of my problems locating it. (There are no templates, measurements or markings to aid in switch location) at least none I could find. You are pretty much on your own! So, using a orphan apron and after 2 previous attempts with the seat now out was able to rationalize location. Drilled new hole(s), secured seat switch to apron and then secured apron to seat. HELLO! shocked It fit perfectly. Using orphan, made template to copy measurements for my original apron and drilled needed holes. Spent the remainder of the day lubricating; tightening seat track bolts and securing seat track/seat to floor.

It was actually much more involved but you get the picture! I had no joy in doing this but it needed done. The first time I put seat in, it would not move fore/aft or up/down while sitting on seat. But after lubrication of tracks, it operated GREAT sitting on seat. Once I had secured power seat chassis to floor the up/down quit working. As I was pretty beat by this time, I decided to knock off and head for home and relax. I am speculating that a bind may be causing up/down movement. I could push against the linkage actuating this up/down operation with limited success. It would move under force but only briefly and was able to retract back to down under its on power. I will start by loosening each seat bracket bolt one at a time to see if bind is relieved. If I find one or more are causing the bind, I will have to add/remove shims to a level seat will work with. I had NO problems with it when chassis was sitting on work table for switch placement, so has to be once installed.

Okay, enuff of my problems. Here are a few pics and notice the orphan apron with all the chaotic marking and holes drilled. This is/was truly a journey!

The floor where rear mounting points were measured and drilled using spacers to level chassis.

POWERSEATMOUNTINGSPACERS.jpg

The orphaned apron: crazy

POWERSEATTEMPLATE.jpg

My original apron with switch in place and mounted on seat: grin

POWERSEATAPRONINSTALLED.jpg

Chassis/Seat secured back in car: cool

POWERSEATDONEANDINSTALLED.jpg

Other than a whole bunch of cleaning & finding that bind, she's pretty much ready for some fun driving and relaxation. coffee2

Doug

Interior is re-dyed/ reupholstered and completed minus frt door panels (still need to install PDL motors). Installed new console burlwood ( BTW OPGI burlwood looks nothing like original. Looks like a light corkboard with 1/4" swirls (FYI: The Parts Place gets from OPGI). Supposedly, Dynacorn started reproducing our burlwood console inserts recently and the guy I deal with here locally is verifying its correctness. In the meantime, I installed a burlwood insert I got from REM for Pontiac GP's that is correct Burl graining but a bit more red. Better than the other crap for the time being. Steve 3000 & 5000 sanded fenders and then we Installed passenger outer/inner fender last night and will be installing drivers side Monday. Took a bit to get it right ….. but maaaan Steve has the fender and gaps aligned perfectly. Also received my trunk mat and spare tire cover and installed them.

I will be cleaning up/bolt blacking another round of bolts this weekend and finishing the wet sanding of all my drip rail moldings and vinyl top trim for polish & install next week.

The race to the finish for GM Nationals - Carlisle!! ….. feel like Cory did last year

Dan

Dan, you need to learn posting pics already, you've been around long enough kicking

Working in a tight garage. Really haven't taken any pics recently. Maybe we'll get her out of the garage next week for some picks.

…….. Then I have to learn how to post 'em. Never made an effort to learn. Of course then I'll find my car listed FOR SALE on some underground website like Cory did. LOL

Finished installing the rear seat belts to match the new 3 point fronts from Morris, I can't describe how happy I am with them, they look great and knowing they are safer than what I was using is a huge relief!

drove mine to the gas station (hard to pass here without stopping), Mexican restaurant, Lowes to pick up some quickrete, ice cream joint, old friends house and inlaws. My old friends house was my favorite. When we were growing up, he had a 71 monte. I stopped by and said "before you start cooking, I want to show you something outside." He said "is it a corvette?" I said "No, its better than a corvette" His knees almost buckled when he walked out of the door. Priceless!

Today was the last day I'll be driving the 71 daily. It was fun but the 70 will be the daily driver starting next week. The last time my 70 was on daily duty was 1997. smile

Outside finishing putting my rear seat back in last night when a guy up the road was walking by with his son, he called down to me "what year Monte is that?"

Turns out his brother lives somewhat close and has a 72, handed him one of our FGMCC business cards, and a few beers later he was sending pics of my car to his brother. I told him we would give him the extra inspiration he needs to get it back on the road!

Outside finishing putting my rear seat back in last night when a guy up the road was walking by with his son, he called down to me "what year Monte is that?"

Turns out his brother lives somewhat close and has a 72, handed him one of our FGMCC business cards, and a few beers later he was sending pics of my car to his brother. I told him we would give him the extra inspiration he needs to get it back on the road!

Stalking while beer .... Priceless!

Re & re the thermostat housing in the 70 since it was weeping a little coolant.

I also insured the 70 to now be my daily driver and moved the collector insurance over to the 71.

My new collector plate:

0193.JPG

I took the time today to get a shot of both cars together:

0128.JPG

awesome Rob ...what drop spindles did you go with???...a guy on the chevelle forums got a pair on ebay for under $100...still waiting for a review though...damn those tires look big in that tiny wheel well... lol