What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Pat and I went out to dinner this evening for my birthday and then I took in a car cruise.  Haven't  been to very many cruises since the Eastern Meet and it was good to get the Monte out.  Met another guy with a 70 Monte and not only was it the best year Monte, it was also BLUE.  Nice guy.  Gave him one of the club business cards, hope he stops by.

Rob

While at Oshawa Autofest this weekend, I met a past member from the Club. Morris is his name but I cannot remember Morris's wife's name. :( Anyway, they are absolutely wonderful people from Texas. I really enjoyed their company and we shared a lot of laughs over the weekend. They said they are thinking about re-joining the FGMCC. They received the longest drive award at the show for their 1500+ mile trek. Here's a couple of pics of their beautiful 70....

post-791-0-22132900-1440414535_thumb.jpg

post-791-0-26339600-1440414554_thumb.jpg

Had it dyno'd on Saturday, made 274 hp and 329 ft/lbs of torque peak over 5 runs. Engine is consistent, though I'm wondering if there being only 3 hp difference and 5 torqu from high to low was because of too small a carb... Or something in the driveline deciding to crap out on me. Hope it's just the torque converter, but if it ain't... Anybody got a 4 speed swap kit? :P

Thanks Larry. It is getting there slowly but surely. :)

I'm trying to at least get it all painted for next summers Eastern Meet. Hope to be able to rent a U Haul trailer to bring it down.

Replaced my entire parking brake cable system with a kit from InlineTube. The only PIA area was getting the front cable out of the drivers compartment and then out through the hole in the frame.

• Like 1

Replaced my entire parking brake cable system with a kit from InlineTube. The only PIA area was getting the front cable out of the drivers compartment and then out through the hole in the frame.

Everything fit good then Rob?

I just did the same to mine recently. Had to call Sam and ask if I was doing something wrong. Just have to get angry he told me, not sure if it was his advice or walking away for 15 min but it went right in after. I got my stuff from Luttys, probably the same but it works perfect now

• Like 1

Took both the Monte and Model A to a community car show. They gave two trophy's at the meet, one for the "Best Antique" and one for "Best Classic". I registered the Model A in the Antique Class and the Monte in the Classic Class. The Monte was selected as the Best Classic and was awarded with the trophy shown in the thumbnail picture but better than that it came with a cash award of $75.00.

The day was not without incident. It started out with the Model A breaking down just a couple blocks from the show area. A bolt came out of the starter bendix causing the starter locking onto the flywheel locking the engine up solid along side the road. I called AAA for a flatbed tow. While waiting for the tow I called my son to have him bring my tool bag up to me. I then pushed the car a little to get it rolling, jumped in, shifted it into reverse and popped the clutch. (My idea was with the car rolling forward, putting in reverse and popping the clutch it would disengage the bendix from the flywheel and it worked.)

By then my son arrived with my tool bag and the motor now unfrozen I removed the starter. With my son working the spark, choke and throttle, I tried to start it with the hand crank and it would fire but not stay running. By then the tow flatbed arrived and she was loaded up. He unloaded the Model A at the top of my slanted driveway.

I decided to give it a try rolling down the driveway and popping the clutch. When I moved the hand throttle to increase the throttle I felt no resistance where there should have been. When I looked under the hood I found I had knocked the throttle linkage god off and that is why it would not stay running. I connected the rod, hopped into the car, let start rolling, popped the clutch and she fired right up. The tow truck driver, who was still winding up his cable, heard her running and looked up and smiled said, you figured it out. I hopped out of the Model A, tipped him and headed back up to the car show blowing the Aooooga horn all the way out of the neighborhood..

All in all it was a great day looking back

rob

20150829_213715.jpg

I drove mine! Seems like a big accomplishment anymore. I picked my Dad up and we went to see a buddy of his. He has a 57 Chevy, a 50 Chevy convertible and a 32 Chevy. He brought the 32 out of the garage. We had our own little car cruise in his driveway. It was my Dad's first time riding in my car and he really enjoyed it. Definitely will be taking him out again. 

2015-08-29 13.14.07.jpg

Well it's been a while since I've been here but back in Jan pulled the eng and re painted  the eng compartment and painted the eng also so now it looks factory fresh.  Took it to a car show last weekend first time out since finished.  Later RJD

Everything fit good then Rob?

Actually, yeah. Everything other than the cable coming through to the foot pedal was a piece of cake. Putting the new one in took a little time but nothing like trying to get the old, corroded one out. All of the cable lengths between the old and new matched so no issues there. Since then, I have also rebuilt the rear drums (new springs, wheel cylinder and self adjuster). I haven't been able to take the car out because I am still waiting on the interior to get finished but hopefully by the end of September she'll be on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Took mine to a show today at a fall festival was a great day good turn out was about 7 or 8 first gens there around 500 cars.

Got home after and decided to mow lawn got stun by a couple bees its doubtful that I'll be going to work tomorrow the way i look now

post-664-0-29921200-1442801587_thumb.jpg

post-664-0-29832700-1442801785_thumb.jpg

Got home after and decided to mow lawn got stun by a couple bees its doubtful that I'll be going to work tomorrow the way i look now

Slacker, you look fine to me.

Did you go to the doctor?

rob

Today-ish I increased the rear wheel well room by 4 more inches...hopefully by eom I'll have my tubbs in and on the rotisserie..chow

Doing much better I'm back to my ole ugly self had a little scare though they didnt like my pulse so did a ekg and it was abnormal, spoke to my regular dr and shes going to keep an eye on it before they start ordering a whole bunch of expensive tests, I really value her opnion as I'm pretty sure it was because of being on benyradril for a couple days it may have messed up my system it seemed to be back to normal when I went in today for the follow up.

• Like 1

The weather was perfect today to attend a car show 2 hours away. The Monte ran great and I stopped at a British American Dealer and snapped a couple of photos. She's all cleaned up and tucked back in the garage awaiting my car show next Saturday.

post-791-0-25372600-1443308772_thumb.jpg

post-791-0-46453600-1443308795_thumb.jpg

post-791-0-06557200-1443309049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I use Castrol GTX 10w 30 and I add a container of Comp Cams Zinc additive. Do you think I'm safe with that?

I seen in the store that quaker state state also has a oil with zinc still present called DEFY...formulated for older cars. I haven't used this yet. Only Amsoil. 10 w 30. I'm not sure if I should be using a zinc additive in the 72 model year?